Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #1

Spotless rinse for motorhome

I've searched and read several other threads regarding CR spotless and the on-the-go system. My question is, Does anyone have the single bed deionizer? Also does anyone have any experience with both and can make a recommendation on which one to buy. Thanks in advance.
Clements02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clements02 View Post
I've searched and read several other threads regarding CR spotless and the on-the-go system. My question is, Does anyone have the single bed deionizer? Also does anyone have any experience with both and can make a recommendation on which one to buy. Thanks in advance.
Well Sir,
For one, I have no experience with any "on the go" type systems. But, I do with one that I purchased through Costco online. It's a two-tank/vessel type system. It comes almost ready to use but, I think you have to put the chemical/treatment/crystals....whatever it's called into each vessel. Then, hook things up to your garden hose and, you're off to the races.

Now, here's the deal. This particular system will do, in general, around maybe 8-10 motor home washings. After that, the quality of the components inside start to deteriorate rapidly and, you end up with spots.

But, while it's working correctly, it's insane that, you can be washing your coach on 100 degree day, rinse the thing down and, WALK AWAY FROM IT, FULLY SOAKEN WET. And, not ONE SPOT will ever appear on anything, glass, chrome, full body paint, NOTHING. It's amazing how well it works.

But, here's another important fact. I did talk with one of the owners/business partners of that system, at the Quartzsite Annual RV event held at the end of January (he was there selling the system and, replacement chemical) and, he told me that, the amount of available "treated" gallons of water, that is, deionized water, that you get out of that particular system, ALL DEPENDS on just what kind of water you're feeding it in the first place.

In So CAL, we had fairly harsh "Hard" water and, that would limit the amount of treated deionized water we'd get out of the system before it went south for good. But, over here in Lake Havasu AZ, the water is SEVERELY alkaline and hard that, that same system will last about 1/2 or less as long as it did in So Cal.

And, to refill both of those vessels, enough for two fillings, (bag of chemical for each vessel) it was going to run me about, $150.00. And, I'd get maybe, oh, around 5-8 motor home washes with it, not sure. But, over here, we have a company that comes to our home, and washes and dries both the motor home ( a 36' full body painted Itasca) and, a 2011 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4x4 for a grand total of $69.00.

And, I just sit and watch as they climb on the roof, then the body and finally do the wheels, the glass and all that. Both vehicles are spotless and perfect when they're done.

So, my point, yes, I did experiment with Deionized water washing system, but, for what it costs to keep that system operating and, for just how many washes you get out of it vs, watching other people do it while you relax and no ladders and all the logistics of washing and drying a coach, AND THE TRUCK, to me, it's just not worth keeping that deionized system alive. Just my thoughts here.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You really want a de-ionizer system, not a water softener (on the go).

I made a small unit out ov PVC, it holds about 18oz of the beads.
They turn color when they are spent.
Good for one washing, maybe two on a good day.
$12 to replace the beads.
The other option is a waterless wash&wax product.
I use both.

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

I agree with Fire Up. I had this young fella come to the park we were at in Salt Lake City last May on our way to the Grand Canyon. First time I had seen a wash using Deionized Water. It was a nice warm day in bright sun. When he finished he went over the windows with a micro fibre towel and the rest of the coach dried Spotless. He had the two deionizer tanks and a water tank in his truck. Pressure washer mounted on the back set to low pressure used basically to rinse. He wet the rig then went over with a brush/soap and then rinsed.
Did the coach, including the roof, the wheel curtains and the CRV in about an hour for $100.
He said the tanks lasted for 6-8 rigs and cost him $125 to recharge.
I was so impressed, I had him do it again on our return trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	119097  
Old 02-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have the CR Spotless DIC 20 system and it is as advertised. Don't know yet how long the beads last, but am feeding it soft water to begin with so hope it lasts a long time.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the CR Spotless and it works as advertised. I haven't washed my coach yet but I have washed my truck about 3 times and the TDS meter still reads zero. I think I figured that I should get about 300 gallons before I change the resin.

Another option is to buy DI water. here in socal, it's about 9 cents a gallon from the mobile detail/window washing supply places. A little Home Depot trailer with one of the 275 gallon totes mounted on it then outfit it with a pump...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
I have the CR Spotless DIC 20 system and it is as advertised. Don't know yet how long the beads last, but am feeding it soft water to begin with so hope it lasts a long time.
Was just checking this thing out on Costco. Looks like a nice little package at a decent price (in a man's opinion of course) at $370.
So, I thought I would check Costco Canada and sure enough they don't sell it here.
So, I find an Auto Detail supplier in Edmonton, AB and they sell the DIC 20 for the mere sum of $720 CDN (Frt included).

Since I don't care to live in the motorhome by myself, I am going to scratch the DIC 20 off my wish list.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #8

The DIC 20 is the Costco unit I was talking about. As I stated, it's an outstanding system, WHEN THE BEADS ARE IN GREAT SHAPE! And, just how long they last, will depend on the type and water you feed it. As for feeding it "soft water" to maybe extend the life of that DIC 20 system, I asked the vender at the Quartzsite RV show and, he stated that it will DEFINITELY NOT extend the life of the beads.

His reason was that, when you soften water, you introduce salt which, is normal. But, those beads in the DIC 20 will have to etch that salt out of there as well as any other chemicals and, therefore softened water will do no good. At least that's what HE said, at the time.

But, again, for a mere $69.00 every other month or so on the average, maybe longer, to have that company do it for me, it's just not worth it to replenish those beads and watch them deteriorate in quality with so little amount of motor home washings.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

Sure wish I could find someone to wash the motorhome for 69$ around these parts. I'd pay for it every time.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
In So CAL, we had fairly harsh "Hard" water and, that would limit the amount of treated deionized water we'd get out of the system before it went south for good. But, over here in Lake Havasu AZ, the water is SEVERELY alkaline and hard that, that same system will last about 1/2 or less as long as it did in So Cal.

And, to refill both of those vessels, enough for two fillings, (bag of chemical for each vessel) it was going to run me about, $150.00. And, I'd get maybe, oh, around 5-8 motor home washes with it, not sure. But, over here, we have a company that comes to our home, and washes and dries both the motor home ( a 36' full body painted Itasca) and, a 2011 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4x4 for a grand total of $69.00.

Scott
Hey Scott,

Whats the name of mobile wash guys you use?
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Sure wish I could find someone to wash the motorhome for 69$ around these parts. I'd pay for it every time.
Me too. That seems like a screaming deal.

The other option is a wash&wax product.

I have not used any of these products yet, but in looking over some of them at the local Walmart, all of them - Mothers, Meguires, etc., said to dry the surface with a microfiber cloth - except one. The "Barrett Jackson Wash & Wax" claims to dry spotless without drying. It claims to be self drying, says water sheets off the surface with virtually no spotting. I'm thinking seriously about buying some of it and trying it come springtime when I take the coach out of storage. Has anyone had any experience with this product? It would be a good way to not have to worry with DI water.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
You really want a de-ionizer system, not a water softener (on the go).

I made a small unit out ov PVC, it holds about 18oz of the beads.
They turn color when they are spent.
Good for one washing, maybe two on a good day.
$12 to replace the beads.
The other option is a waterless wash&wax product.
I use both.

Regards,

Dan

I'm looking at the on the go deionizer. Not the softener. I was just asking if anyone had experience with the dual tank vs the single tank.
Clements02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #13

I got a guy at home who was washing and hand waxing my 36 ft MH for $85.00. I felt guilty and made him go up. He now charges $125.00 and he feels guilty.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #14

Spotless rinse for motorhome

I can no longer "wax on, wax off".
Peeps in Yuma do hand wash/wax using RO water and Mothers wax for $120 including my 42 MH and toad. And my California brush does fine in between.
Good nuff fer me!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome