Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Sputtering water flow from pump

Hi,
Boondocking this past month and the shurflo, older 3 chamber pump is sputtering air & water, sometimes peters out in the shower. Yes, there is water in the tank. Yes, I am level.

My vacuum breaker on my Sealand 110 toilet is likely cracked a little, and has been seeping a little water during the flush the past 3 months---so don't think that can suddenly cause all this burping, gurgling and sputtering.

I hear gurgling in the tank after I shut the faucet while the pump is running to pressurize the system. It can take 60 seconds or more for the pump to shut down--never did that before. No apparent leaks at sinks/underneath & looks like I would have to take a panel off my sewer/water bay to view the fresh tanks and lines.

What are your thoughts? Do I need a new pump? Could the vacuum breaker throw air in the lines like that? Could it be a leak at the fresh tank? What could be causing the gurgling?

Thank you!
tealstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
Hi,
Boondocking this past month and the shurflo, older 3 chamber pump is sputtering air & water, sometimes peters out in the shower. Yes, there is water in the tank. Yes, I am level.

My vacuum breaker on my Sealand 110 toilet is likely cracked a little, and has been seeping a little water during the flush the past 3 months---so don't think that can suddenly cause all this burping, gurgling and sputtering.

I hear gurgling in the tank after I shut the faucet while the pump is running to pressurize the system. It can take 60 seconds or more for the pump to shut down--never did that before. No apparent leaks at sinks/underneath & looks like I would have to take a panel off my sewer/water bay to view the fresh tanks and lines.

What are your thoughts? Do I need a new pump? Could the vacuum breaker throw air in the lines like that? Could it be a leak at the fresh tank? What could be causing the gurgling?

Thank you!
Do you have a strainer on the input to your pump. If so you might check and see if it is clogged
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
It sounds like the pump diaphragm has a hole in it and it's pumping air into the lines and water tank. You can rebuild the pump, or replace it. If you do it yourself, you could rebuild it. If you have to pay someone to rebuild it, you might think of just buying a new one. RV Products: RV Water Pump, RV Roof Vent, RV Faucet, RV Water Filter & Accessories – SHURflo RV Fluid Delivery Solutions

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, I checked the strainer, its clean. Person at the parts store also said it could be the diaphragm & that it's cheaper to just replace the pump. They sell the 4 chamber shurflo for around $69 but maybe cheaper on Amazon.

What causes the diaphragm to break--do you know?
Old 11-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Minerals in the water, time, use, mice
Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #6

Stuff does wear out. It's obvious that there is air in the line somewhere, and while it could be the pumps fault, it could also be from letting the tank get very low sometime in the past letting air into the lines. The air which gets trapped in the higher points of the line would eventually get evacuated.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for your replies. I've been mostly dry camping for 6 weeks. It did this sputtering and water grinding to a stop 4 weeks ago, when I still had ~20-30 gallons of fresh left, then it corrected.

Thinking (way too much time on my hands...) maybe pulling off the motor and figuring out how to check the diaphragm before purchasing a new motor. Must be a diagram online somewhere.

Any thoughts???

Thank you!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #8

Had a similar problem awhile back. Pump was pulling air from the city water connection. I had left the plug out and the valve was in the local supply position. Switching the valve and putting the plug back fixed the problem.
Dennis
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never seen a rig where the water pump could pull air in via the city water connection.. But I can see how it could be done.

I had a problem much like that and upon inspection I also found the pump to be leaking .. Tightened several of the screws that hold the thing together and by by bird.. er, Problem.

Now I have another problem (not related) ain't RV life fun.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Had a similar problem awhile back. Pump was pulling air from the city water connection. I had left the plug out and the valve was in the local supply position. Switching the valve and putting the plug back fixed the problem.
Dennis
If you want to test if it's a leak through the city water connection, hook up your hose and kink it to shut off any air/water flow. It the issue is in the valve, problem of air infiltration should stop.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes---it is fun!! (Laughing...)
I did notice the fresh fill cap was off last week. I also have to fix the Sealand 110 vacuum breaker seeping water when I flush---which is covered by a cap screwed on from the back, which is flush against the wall....that'll be a fun one. I'm 20 gallons away from needing a fresh water fill (and dump), so I'm working up the motivation, and courage, to epoxy the $38 plastic vacuum breaker part---worked for some people---which has a 24 hour cure. Then I'll flush the air out on "city water" when I do my fill, check my toilet fix, the pump...and let you all know how my week goes.....it still beats the stress of the cities, mean RV Dealers and neighbors.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Leak:

Pulled up the pads to go dump & about 1-2 cups of fresh water drained to the ground between the back levelers.

Therefore, need to look at fittings---assuming--- behind this panel.(pic attached) Looks like the only way to get in. Unless I can get to the tanks fromthe under the bed with the slide out.

Any tips removing the panel or any other way to look inside . Please help.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131113_114559.png
Views:	216
Size:	505.8 KB
ID:	49870  
Old 11-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the same problem, took my WhisperKing pump apart, could find no problem with the head. Turns out, the outlet PEX line(the one the pump draws from the bottom of the tank) was kinked where it should have been a gentle bend. Installed a 90 deg. fitting and all works good now.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting. Well, we blew air through the lines a few times, didn't hear any hissing. Then pumped 1/3 of a tank of fresh water in and it's working fine.

I came down to 800' from 6000'-7000' feet a couple weeks ago and wondered if altitude may have contributed. Though, also fixed the cracked toilet vacuum pressure breaker & replaced the seal, which couldn't have hurt.

I dunno. Working better, though hope to not see water draining from below the tanks again, when I pull up the jacks to do a dump & fill.