RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #1

Squirrel Problems

I park my coach under a shelter next to the woods and have not had a squirrel problem in the past 5 years. This year squirrels have been getting into the motor compartment and setting up nests and have accumulated enough acorns to last the winter. I was fortunate to discover this early as they have not chewed through any wiring. My poor Astro Van parked next to the coach did to fare for lucky. They chewed through a bunch of wiring I had to fix myself. I have heard that placing Irish Spring Soap in the nest areas would repel them.... but is there anything else I use to keep them out?

MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #2

Dog's, cats, gun's seriously I've seen some spray's and granules at Lowe's for critters like that. The problem with any of those items is if it rains hard you'll have to reapply it and that can be a pain. How about trapping them and then moving them to a far off location. Maybe someone else can shed some light. Good luck hope you solve your problem. Last thought if you didn't have any problems in the last 5 years what changed now? Was there construction in your area causing them to move, or something you might have done to in courage them to move in? The squirrels in my area build nests in the trees to keep away from the dogs and cats. Maybe someone cut a bunch of trees down. I don't know what you could do about that if that's the cause.

keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Electric fence works buy one thatís solar place 1st wire close to ground 2nd wire about three inches above an so on use pvc pipe as poles
Old 10-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #4

Squirrels get kicked out of the nest and home territory so have to find their own "kingdom".
Where we store our coach for the winter the red squirrels cause problems.
We take pop cans, cut them in half (crosswise, not lengthwise) then cut vertically so bottoms have foldover tabs. I put six cotton balls in them, soak with peppermint oil (NOT oil of peppermint) then fold the tabs over to keep the cotton balls in place. Some of these "assemblies" I put a wire thru for hanging the deterrent assembly in the engine compartment or where I need to keep wires "safe".
I also place these deterrents anywhere I think any critters might want in.
This has worked for the last 14 years--of course I refresh or replace the "assemblies" every so often.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
I park my coach under a shelter next to the woods and have not had a squirrel problem in the past 5 years. This year squirrels have been getting into the motor compartment and setting up nests and have accumulated enough acorns to last the winter. I was fortunate to discover this early as they have not chewed through any wiring. My poor Astro Van parked next to the coach did to fare for lucky. They chewed through a bunch of wiring I had to fix myself. I have heard that placing Irish Spring Soap in the nest areas would repel them.... but is there anything else I use to keep them out?
moth balls ..
Old 10-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #6

I don't know about you, but I would prefer coming back in the spring to the smell of peppermint than to the smell of moth balls!
Bedding and clothes, fabrics and carpets could all smell like moth balls.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Squirrels get kicked out of the nest and home territory so have to find their own "kingdom".
Where we store our coach for the winter the red squirrels cause problems.
We take pop cans, cut them in half (crosswise, not lengthwise) then cut vertically so bottoms have foldover tabs. I put six cotton balls in them, soak with peppermint oil (NOT oil of peppermint) then fold the tabs over to keep the cotton balls in place. Some of these "assemblies" I put a wire thru for hanging the deterrent assembly in the engine compartment or where I need to keep wires "safe".
I also place these deterrents anywhere I think any critters might want in.
This has worked for the last 14 years--of course I refresh or replace the "assemblies" every so often.
X2...spraying some around helps too...
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keger View Post
Dog's, cats, gun's seriously I've seen some spray's and granules at Lowe's for critters like that. The problem with any of those items is if it rains hard you'll have to reapply it and that can be a pain. How about trapping them and then moving them to a far off location. Maybe someone else can shed some light. Good luck hope you solve your problem. Last thought if you didn't have any problems in the last 5 years what changed now? Was there construction in your area causing them to move, or something you might have done to in courage them to move in? The squirrels in my area build nests in the trees to keep away from the dogs and cats. Maybe someone cut a bunch of trees down. I don't know what you could do about that if that's the cause.
Nope... nothing changed in the area. I think our dog is getting older and lazier chasing them off. LOL.... And, I don't believe trapping them is a good option; there are just many around here to have any success.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #9

We live in the county so shoot most of them that keep coming back. Always have plenty the next year. Herb packets, moth balls help, as does the puppy and cat but nothing stops them. Started reducing the population after they got in the neighbors house attic, fell down between a wall, died and months and dollars later removed after some nasty odors in the house.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #10

Just one bite 2 rat poison works great on rats (tree rats love it also).
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
We live in the county so shoot most of them that keep coming back. Always have plenty the next year. Herb packets, moth balls help, as does the puppy and cat but nothing stops them. Started reducing the population after they got in the neighbors house attic, fell down between a wall, died and months and dollars later removed after some nasty odors in the house.
A generation ago people used to hunt squirrels for food on the table.... yours truly included. That kept the population down a lot. Today squirrels are rarely hunted and they are everywherE... you just canít shoot em all. For now I am checking the coach every day and destroying their nests. Maybe they will get tired of rebuilding and leave.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
A generation ago people used to hunt squirrels for food on the table.... yours truly included. That kept the population down a lot. Today squirrels are rarely hunted and they are everywherE... you just canít shoot em all. For now I am checking the coach every day and destroying their nests. Maybe they will get tired of rebuilding and leave.
Ahhh....battered and pan fried squirrel. Tastes great. Good when camping (real camping, not RVing or glamping) roasted on a spit or stick over a small cooking campfire.
A .22 caliber bolt action rifle loaded with CB or BB caps which are very quiet and short-ranged is just the ticket.
Hunting with a partner who will walk ahead of the hunter to tree and send the squirrel around to the hunter's side of the tree can be very productive.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:07 AM   #13
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Ahhh....battered and pan fried squirrel. Tastes great. Good when camping (real camping, not RVing or glamping) roasted on a spit or stick over a small cooking campfire.
A .22 caliber bolt action rifle loaded with CB or BB caps which are very quiet and short-ranged is just the ticket.
Hunting with a partner who will walk ahead of the hunter to tree and send the squirrel around to the hunter's side of the tree can be very productive.
Yup, done that. I think the meat comes off the bone better that rabbit too.

Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems