Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

SS line from compressor air leak.

My new to me 1987 Beaver motorhome has an air leakin the 5/8" stainless steel air hose that comes of the compressor.
I have tracked its location and attempted to repair it by cutting through the line and then inserting a brass union and clamping the hoses.
This however has failed. There is still air coming out but this time from my attempted repair.

One surprise that I got when I cut into the line was that it's not rubber as I expected on such an old coach. It appeared to have a rather thin wall of rigid material.

Any advice in how to repair this thing???

Ideally I would like to replace the entire line but for now I cannot even move this beast so I want to get it driveable and take it in where they can get it on a lift and do it there.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #2

Measure it, have on made to use.

Run it temporarly until you get to the shop.

Make sure, who ever makes the hose, knows it's for a compressor discharge.

The first few feet need to handle a lot of heat.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Get a new line, the line you have is not designed to be repaired. It has a thin plastic liner covered with braid to withstand high heat and pressure. The line should run from the air compressor to the air drier, or if you are lucky the braid line will only be about 30 inches long and change over to hard line.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately I cannot locate the air dryer.
The line goes on top of the engine and down besides the transmission and then I lose it as it is mixed in with a bunch of other lines and wires and goes behind some equipment bolted to the frame.
I have tried to trace it about 3 times but failed.
I am also a newbe to the RV world so I dont know what the air dryer looks like.
I did find a possible candidate all the way at the front of the coach but it seems to have to many lines attached. I would assume air dryer would have only 2.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

The air dryer is supposed to be down hill from the compressor.

That is so moisture doesn't freeze in the line, as it works it way to the dryer.

Google some air dryer picture's and look near the engine.

There will also be a 1/4" line, from the compressor governor to the air dryer.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, leak