Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #15

from a retired pro race car driver locking brakes is nuts! for the driver with abs this won't matter. but locking brakes changes the chassis cg and ruins tires (flat spots) a light peddle on and off will allow brakes to cool.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #16

No this is what it says:

Quote:
Florida CDL Handbook: Using Air Brakes
Table of Contents

5. Air Brakes

5.4.3 - Emergency Stops
If somebody suddenly pulls out in front of you, your natural response is to hit the brakes. This is a good response if there's enough distance to stop, and you use the brakes correctly.

You should brake in a way that will keep your vehicle in a straight line and allow you to turn if it becomes necessary. You can use the "controlled braking" method or the "stab braking" method.

Controlled Braking. With this method, you apply the brakes as hard as you can without locking the wheels. Keep steering wheel movements very small while doing this. If you need to make a larger steering adjustment or if the wheels lock, release the brakes. Re-apply the brakes as soon as you can.

Stab Braking

Apply your brakes all the way.
Release brakes when wheels lock up.
As soon as the wheels start rolling, apply the brakes fully again. (It can take up to one second for the wheels to start rolling after you release the brakes. If you re-apply the brakes before the wheels start rolling, the vehicle won't straighten out.)

Unquote

Old 04-09-2015, 11:35 PM   #17

I would never want to lock up my brakes in any situation, especially traveling at freeway speeds!!! I don't care what any handbook says. You think it would say to brake as hard as you can while maintaining control of your vehicle in a emergency situation. Reminds me of a Michelin video that said if you ever have a blow out anywhere in any situation to always floor the gas. Really??? I'm going around a hairpin corner and I'm supposed to floor it. I guess it's better to guarantee I'll hit the guardrail instead of maybe being able to miss it or I'm in bumper to bumper traffic, just pin it to win it and plow every car in front of me...
Old 04-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
My gosh!! Any newbee's reading all this please disregard!!!! Take a drivers course period.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #19

Good that was cleared up before it got too entrenched in the RV lexicon. Snub braking is the term and it is somewhat different to stab braking. The first is to keep you from having to progress to the second.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:25 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Stab braking is an improper term for slowing descent on hills

Y'All are overthinking this.

Just drive the damn thing.

It's not rocket science.

Use you brain.

Jeez.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #21

mybest advice from driving truck for 40 years is to buy a vehicle with a true jacobs engine brake, preferrably a three stage, by the way it is made for a cummins engine. you can bring a loaded truck to a stop anticipated of coarse, and at the stop you use the foot brake to bring it to a halt. i also say a light foot on the brake pedal going down a long grade will get your brake shoes glowing red from constant friction. the best way is use force on the brake pedal not to the extent of locking the tires upand release the pedal, you build less heat up in the shoes that way, and of course use your engine brake also. just my two cents worth, happy motoring
Old 04-10-2015, 06:10 AM   #22

i might also add a jacobs engine brake is totally differnt from an exhaust brake, the latter being far less effective, ok im done ranting
Old 04-10-2015, 07:07 AM   #23

I suggest some people, through no fault of their own, DO need instruction for how to descend a hill in their RV. Like another poster, I have seen vehicles at the bottom of a grade with smoke billowing out from the brakes. These are the people who gently and constantly ride their brakes down the hill and then wonder what went wrong. I submit the ones posting on the subject are trying to educate such drivers...

Regarding locking brakes. If this happens, just remember you can't steer with locked front tires (an old autocross saying).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Y'All are overthinking this.

Just drive the damn thing.

It's not rocket science.

Use you brain.

Jeez.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Good that was cleared up before it got too entrenched in the RV lexicon. Snub braking is the term and it is somewhat different to stab braking. The first is to keep you from having to progress to the second.
That's the reason I began this thread and included the hot link to that CDL material. Locked-up brakes are dangerous to all but the most experienced drivers, which is why FHSA mandated ABS on vehicles; although after-the-fact data shows it has not reduced vehicular fatalities. And yes it is a terminology thing which confuses some people.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #25

This above thread is a really good example of someone taking something out of context and plopping it down as dogma for some other situation but with potentially deadly results.

When I think of down slopes I think of cinders, sand hairpin turns, snow, ice etc. lock your tires in this BYE!
Old 04-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #26

I think this should lead to a discussion of how to use air brakes vs conventional hydraulic brakes. When coming down a steep hill with conventional brakes I would routinely use short heavy braking to slow the rig and allow time in between for the brakes to cool. I've been told and it makes sense to me, that air brakes should be applied with a steady heavy pedal till the desired speed in reached. Repeatedly applying the brakes or stabbing, may overcome the ability of the compressor to maintain enough pressure. This of course in conjunction with the proper gear and engine/exhaust braking. I know people hate the idea of requiring an air brake license endorsement but I wonder how many out there really know how these things work? I learned a lot when studying for my Class B. How many know what happens if there is a rapid air loss?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Damn Suri.
I meant to say "Snubbing" the brakes or "Snub Braking".
Pota'toe potatoe.
Dogpatch
Whether you call it "snub braking", "stab braking", "momentary braking, or "periodic braking" the "method" works when descending grades, (if you do it correctly).
Old 04-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #28

Living on top of a popular 4 season resort mountain with millions of visitors each year can be at times funny but often tragic. We refer to our guests as flat landers. Good drivers know how their vehicles perform under hopefully all conditions. Flat landers often not so much. Last year a bus going down the mountain lost his brakes killing 14, many squashed. So many accidents, so many deaths. The out of control vehicle will stop somewhere against something and looses. When you come upon a scene and call it in the term is "this individuals condition does not support life".

If you smell your brakes you are in trouble, pull over and pay attention to some very good advice that I have read some posters give. If they are smoking hot try to pull over. Slow down, slow down especially on curves.

When I go down I use the turnouts, a lot.