Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #1

Stabil in the gas tank

do you add stabil to the gas tank between trips? does adding stabil reduce the need to run the generator every month?
rdking647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We put Stabil in only when we park the coach for the winter because it will not be used for 6+months. During the summer, trips are frequent enough a gas stabilizer isn't necessary. I don't think it reduces the need for exercising the genny under load - unless in "deep-sleep" winter storage the genny still needs to be run.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #3

No, I don' add Stabil to the MH gas tank. I do use it in my mower, Weed Wacker, etc. You still need to run the generator at least once a month to keep the moisture and condensation out of the generator windings. Read your generator owners manual.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I think Stabil between trips is a bit overkill. If you do it for longtime storage, you might get your money's worth, between trips, not so much. Also, gennie needs to be run to keep contacts and windings in good shape more than the gasoline engine.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #5

Stabil only works with gas not corn!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I asked a friend who is a chemical engineer this question. He said that if you store it with the tank full, you should be okay with gas for several months without needing an additive. But if the tank is, say, half empty, then perhaps 60 days should be the limit without adding anything....just to be on the "safe side".
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I asked a friend who is a chemical engineer this question. He said that if you store it with the tank full, you should be okay with gas for several months without needing an additive. But if the tank is, say, half empty, then perhaps 60 days should be the limit without adding anything....just to be on the "safe side".
Hey Neighbor!

TexasTom, ask your friend the chemical engineer what happens with the tank is half empty, is it the condensation or that more air gets to the fuel? I'd like to understand that too. I keep the tank full in winter for sure and use Sta Bil Marine Formula, the one little bottle treats 80 gallons and is perfect for my 75 gallon fuel tank.

Thanks and howdy!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STA BIL MARINE.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	59372  
Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I think you are correct, that the main issue is the volume of the tank that is "exposed" to potential condensation, etc. A tank that is tightly sealed will not have the same potential issue, but then all of them have to be vented to some degree right?
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #9

I use the Marine Stabil too. Had several sessions and chats with the Stabil reps at the Louisville RV and Boat show over a few year period and sat thru their learning sessions. Found it interesting that the today type Ethanol fuel starts breaking down with in a week after it is distilled. So it is already forming water molecules when we buy it. Stabil helps prevent that. I use the product every time my RV gets filled and will not be driven even for a week. I do run some thru the engine and genny if I can remember to start the genny after my final trip refuel. I always keep the tank topped off after a trip.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
^^^ Not to sound critical, but any rep of a company that does not come up reasons to use their product will not have a lengthy employment! Not saying that they are not telling the truth... just MUCH BETTER hearing it from an independent party.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: I have heard that Sta-Bil did not work well with the boozed up gasoline (Corn) And I notice that they now have a new product on the market that is specifically FOR alcohol contaminated gasoline. (Yes, i consider it a contaminate)

SeaFoam is what I dumped in the tank last fall, Bit more expensive but I calced it would be just about April before I had to add gasoline and that's a long time between fill ups (more than 3 months) so I felt the stabilizer was an investment in NOT cleaning out the gunk non-stabilized gas can leave behind.. Turns out I was a bit generous on the estimate.. But only a small bit, (3 weeks, but I could have waited).

I was afraid I'd need genny.. Need to exercise it, and will hit quarter tank when I do. Monday. But I may need to drop the )@!#$@ tank for another repair, so I'm running near empty on propose.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #12

Fuel stabilizer was a big topic of discussion in our aviation department among both pilots and mechanics. We placed calls to major fuel suppliers concerning gasoline storage. We were informed that refiners manufacturer fuel to be completely stable and storable for a 1 year period and none recommended any stabilizing additives. In fact it was just the opposite, they said do not put stabilizers in their fuel. If stored longer than a year, drain and refill with fresh fuel.
lshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #13

You can say what you want about stabilizers but I have a lot of small motors and I am cleaning carbs a lot less since using them.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Stabil two times. During storage, sometimes as lomg as six months, bu tI also run the generator about every three to six weeks. However when I know we are going to be parked for three months at a destination resort which does not allow generators to be run I add Stabil, fill the tank and run the generator before our arrival.

I can't answer right or wrong but my ten year old generator still preforms as new. So I am managing it properly, not the only way but I believe Stabil is an important part of my regimen.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank