Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Stabilizer jack quit working. Any suggestions????

Hi, well my 1999 Dolphin performed pretty good on our first month long road trip. The stabilizer jacks worked fine.

Now I get home and they won't work. The power light comes on and I can hear a faint click when I try to push any of the four buttons (left,right,front,rear), but the jacks don't move.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot these things before I end up at a repair place? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Look up the manufacturer on line and a manual or trouble shooting guide. There are many web resources available --- if you name the manufacturer and perhaps the model # of your jack system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It would be very beneficial if you were to list the brand and model number right here. Virtually everyone has them and many have had problems and solutions. Give it a shot. Someone may have your answer.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

It's the Power Gear system that came with the motorhome from the factory. Unfortunately there is no owner's manual with all the paperwork. Just the operating instructions in the National RV owner's manual.

I guess I'll do a search here and look online for assistance.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
You download manuals and troubleshooting guide from this link:

Power Gear Hydraulic Leveling - Power Gear

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #6

In the link above there is a "contact us" link. You can use that link to describe your problem. Include the VIN number of your coach and the manufacturer's serial number if there is one. Tell them as much about your coach as you can. They will help identify the unit and provide the proper manual and trouble shooting guides for you.

I recently had a problem with a slide out motor. They were very helpful, and prompt, in determining my system and finding the parts needed to repair it.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #7

I tried re-setting the system like they recommended on their web site. It didn't help. So I emailed them with my problem. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you set the parking brake. Also check the switch for the parking brake. Loose or broken wires to park brake were #1 problem.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #9

I did set the parking brake even though I'd never done it before. But I'll stick my head up there again and check to see if any wiring is hanging.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #10

I just fixed this same problem. Turns out it was as simple as cleaning up corroded battery terminals and power cable connections.

I did all the trouble shooting in the manuals which stated that if everything checks OK in the proceedure it must be the motor. I Removed the motor and even disassembled the motor and everything looked perfect. I was about to buy a motor but googled general starter motor troubleshooting since Power gear uses a starter motor for the pump. This lead me to clean up the battery terminals and connections.

When there is no current going through the cables there was plenty of voltage to the solenoid but the pump motor pulled a lot of amps which due to the resistance of the corrosion caused the voltage to drop under the heavy load of the motor (even though the motor would not turn). I also noted my DC lights were dimming when I tried to run the pump.

Cheap fix. No parts just scrap the gunk off the connections.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #11

Are you talking about the main batteries? Because I bought all three new ones this spring and all the connections were nice and clean. I'll take a look at them and give them the once over though to make sure. Can't hurt anything and only costs me some time.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #12

Well, here' what the tech support guy sent me:

Sounds like you are on the right track. You need to check for power at the clinoid for the pump motor. The blue wire is a 12 volt trigger wire coming from the controller to fire the pump. To check the pump I would run power straight to the pump motor to make sure it works.
v/r

So I guess I'll have to start poking around under the coach and check all the power connections.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #13

Clinoid. What is that?? Good luck finding it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the fluid level is low in the reservoir the pump will not work....check that. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote