Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #1

Stackable washer and dryer

We have a stackable washer and dryer in our 2005 Kountry Star Newmar Motor Home. The washer works fine for small loads, however the dryer takes forever to get clothes even damp dry. Has anybody else had this problem? We have heard it may be a venting problem? Thanks for any info.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

RV dryers, regardless of whether they are stackables or combos, almost always are wired for 120V compared with the 240V dryer in your home. As a result clothes will take much longer to dry. They are also small compared with most home machines and overloading them or loading them with clothes that have not been spun dry well will lengthen the process.

You also could have a clogged dryer vent which is reducing the air flow through the unit. This is a fire hazard as well as a performance reducer. Pull the dryer out so you can access the vent hose and thoroughly clean it by pushing a brush through it. Be sure to inspect the vent outlet at the coach wall to make sure there isn't a clump of lint there. I am assuming you clean the inside lint filter each time before you use the dryer.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi barbaram,
Welcome to iRV2. I have the same year KS as you do. I have the Splendide combo washer/dryer. In addition to the above suggestion, I've found over loading the unit is the main cause of frustration. I do wash daily, if at all possible. This keeps the loads small and suitable for the RV size appliance. My combo unit has lint coming out the dryer vent (vented to the outside of the coach). Can you help with answering two questions?

1. Is the unit vented to the outside of the coach?
2. Has the unit always operated this way or has the performance deteriorated.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Gary - thanks so much for the info - Have only had our Motor Home 6 months so don't know for sure about the vents and if it has always been slow or not. As soon as the snow melts some here, we will check the vents. Thanks so much for responding.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #5

Thanks Doc J - will double check the vents before we use it again - Kept the inside one clean but don't know if it is vented properly outside or not or if it could be clogged. Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you have a stackable, I believe it has to have an outside vent. I believe the only "ventless" units are combos like the one we own. The difficulty is that some manufacturers make it hard (impossible?) to find and access the vent to the outside. Regardless of whether or not your current problem is simply overloading, for your safety you should find and clean the vent on a regular basis just like you would in your home.

As Gary suggested, washing clothes everyday is the best way to avoid overloading the machine. That's one thing the combo units excel in since you can put in dirty clothes in the morning and take out clean dry ones a few hours later.

Joel
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #7

"inside lint filter"???
Have looked everywhere and cannot find an inside lint filter on our Splendide combo. Btw it is vented to outside.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #8

Ours is vented to the outside. Had to pull it out today as it has started leaking when it shifts from the wash cycle to the dry cycle. I found a large collection of lint in the dryer hose and cleaned it out. DW says that if I cannot fix it, she wants a regular stack able washer/dryer combo. I figure that it will use more water and be top heavy to boot, if we can get into the coach. I would really rather repair the one that we have now.

Does anyone have any kind of tray under theirs to catch any spills? Splendide offers them on their site.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Having a tray with its own 3/4 pvc drain line to the ouside is a plus. Unit lint catcher is located in the lower area @ the door opening similar to stick home dryers.Exterior vents are always in the exterior side walls up high.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #10

Ooops - Our stackable is a Majestic and just noticed it doesn't have a inside vent either. What I was cleaning was the inside of the seal on the door of the dryer. Noticed when I opened it and pulled the seal back, there was lint in there. The dryer is on top of the washer with a board to hold it in but my husband says he can take it out and surely get the lint all cleaned out plus check the outside vent. I hadn't been inside the MoHO for a couple of months because of Oklahoma weather but came out to clean a little and checked the dryer. Can't wait for a little warmer weather and good travels - Thanks everybody - any info is appreciated.