Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Stainless steel screw replacements for roof

Looking for some experienced advice. I am resealing my roof (vents, etc) and I am looking at the edge seams along the length of the rv. There is a metal strip that butts the roof to the sidewall which has screws every couple inches. Many are rusted so I am thinking I should replace them and use stainless steel. What is the general consensus? Replace and reseal or just reseal? If I do change the screws, do I get the exact same size as the rusty screws or go a larger diameter by one size? Thanks for your assistance--I not a great handyman.

Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Size will depend on whether the old screws are stripped out or not. If they're holding OK then use the same size. Stainless are usually brittle and break easier than standard screws. If I was going to do the job I'd get the same size stainless and a few oversize just in case and then reseal well. I tend to go overboard on doing it right the first time. Just the engineer in me I guess. DW knows I take longer to do a job, but when done it's right even if I have to make three trips to the store to get what I need!

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
Looking for some experienced advice. I am resealing my roof (vents, etc) and I am looking at the edge seams along the length of the rv. There is a metal strip that butts the roof to the sidewall which has screws every couple inches. Many are rusted so I am thinking I should replace them and use stainless steel. What is the general consensus? Replace and reseal or just reseal? If I do change the screws, do I get the exact same size as the rusty screws or go a larger diameter by one size? Thanks for your assistance--I not a great handyman.

I have done both. Depends on the location and how bad they were rusted. If screws are in an area prone to moisture then I replace with stainless if doing maintenance. If the screws are in good shape with little or no rust I leave them be.
Same size unless the holes are stripped out. If you are replacing on the roof seams I would add a dab if dicor in the hole before putting in a new screw.

Steve
Old 11-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you wish to replace. Replace.. I have a box of stainless so that is what I tend to use when screwing things outdoors.

But I do not think the NEED is there to replace.

Still.. I wonder why they are so ruseted when they are well sealed with Dicor.. (Just did some roof work, took me half an hour to dig through the Dicor to the well rusted screws)
Old 11-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I always replace rusted fasteners with stainless steel screws when doing work on the outside of the RV. The first time I did it was in Canada on the way to Alaska and they only sell square drive screws in Canada (so I was told) so I had to buy a square drive screwdriver too. Now it's all I'll use because the square drive heads don't slip like Philips heads do.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

Get a box of stainless in same size and a few zinc plated ones also same size.

Depending on rust and other matters the stainless screws often snap.

You can use the zinc screw first to tighten the trim down if it is not seated, do a row of them to get started then remove and replace with stainless.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I always replace rusted fasteners with stainless steel screws when doing work on the outside of the RV. The first time I did it was in Canada on the way to Alaska and they only sell square drive screws in Canada (so I was told) so I had to buy a square drive screwdriver too. Now it's all I'll use because the square drive heads don't slip like Philips heads do.
It's a good this Mr Philips made his money before the square drives came out. Otherwise he'd have died broke. I never use a Philips.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #8

In Canada, the square drive screws are called Robertson after the Canadian who invented them.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #9

I started to replace many rusted screws along a roof edge too. What a mess. Many ended up broken off or stripped out heads. I wouldn't change them out if you didn't need too.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #10

Lucky for us they are under a trim...oddball trim but stayed usable.

Broke many stainless screws until figured out how.

Pain to get out.

If top is fiberglass and not fully seated the screws will grip the fiberglass and prevent it from fully seating so regardless of materials yiu may need to have 3 or more in a row out to allow the materials to cinch tight without binding.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been slowly replacing all the external carbon steel hardware on my coach with stainless. Few years back replaced the awning rails along the length of both sides of the coach with awning/gutter rails. Used stainless in every hold. Also resealed where the roof material contacts the coach side wall. I even coat the screw threads with sealant to prevent water seepage. Used #8 1" Phillips head screws pretty much everywhere but have had to drop to shorter lengths a few times. Buy them by the box of 100 at the local Ace Hardware. I'm probably going a bit overboard but working with the idea of do it once and never again.

Threads in wood or fiberglass that have been damaged, enlarged, water rot or such that I can't get a screw thred to bite I'll fill with a bit of 5 minute expoy mixed mixed with sawdust basically making new wood. If in metal I'll go up a size if necessary. So far no problems breaking off old screws or the new stainless hardware.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, roof, scr