Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #1

Stair Power Switch not working

The power switch, as Kwikee calls it, that keeps the stairs extended when parked does not work. The switch itself is good so I did the test recommended by Kwikee and there is no power to the switch. The schematic calls for a circuit breaker for both the power switch and the magnetic switch but I can only find one 5 amp circuit breaker for the stairs at the fuse box and it is for the magnetic switch. I have a 1998 Southwind. Can anyone give me a clue on where the fuse is for the power switch if there is one. I could not find one in line either.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kwikee steps should have two fuses - One for the power from the ignition and the other from the main chassis power area. I have never seen a diagram of Kwikee steps with a fuse for the door switch. Both power leads go to the switch controller.

While ours is not a Southwind, perhaps yous is set up in a similar way. The main fuse panel has that chassis power fuse. The ignition power fuse is in an inline fuse holder. I'm not sure why they did that.

I hope that this helps you.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

I have had an issue with the connections on the door switch, pulled the switch out and found the connectors to the switch were corroded.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #4

One reason to own an electric line tracer you attach the generator to the switch and touch each fuse till you get a tone.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #5

My tracer allowed me to trace lines inn my brownstone's third floor to the basement forty fret below.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by galluta View Post
The power switch, as Kwikee calls it, that keeps the stairs extended when parked does not work. The switch itself is good so I did the test recommended by Kwikee and there is no power to the switch. The schematic calls for a circuit breaker for both the power switch and the magnetic switch but I can only find one 5 amp circuit breaker for the stairs at the fuse box and it is for the magnetic switch. I have a 1998 Southwind. Can anyone give me a clue on where the fuse is for the power switch if there is one. I could not find one in line either.

Your reference to the "fuse box", are you referring to the one under the hood on the firewall? If not then look there also it is full of "goodies'.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #7

One nice thing about a good tracer is the ability to put the tone generator's alligator clip on individual wires in some cases the wires go to different locations. Trace them all.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many motor homes have 2 or more fuse blocks, (mine has 4) and the steps may have fuses in more than one block.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Come on guys, let's see if we can really help him out here.
First does the stair light work when you open the door?
Also do you hear what appears to be the motor attempting to put the stairs down?
Do the stairs work at all with the switch in any position?
How about with the motor off and with the motor on?
Give us some more details this will help with the trouble shooting of the stairs and switch.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #10

The light does work when you open the door. The stairs work fine when opening and closing the door. The power switch ( inside the door) simply does not keep the stairs extended when opening the door. I checked the power to the switch per the Kwikee trouble shouting recommendation. I put one end of the voltmeter on the white wire and the other to ground. With the switch either on of off there is no power to from the white wire. The two fuses for the stair I found are under the hood. I didn't see anything at the fuse box under the dash. I looked for an in line fuse but there is nothing close to the stairs and the line goes into a conduit and I have not looked for it on the other end. I did purchase a line tracer. Whether it solves this problem or not, it looks handy to have.

galluta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power