Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Funny how some folks can take a side swipe at a Chevy Suburban and never know it was not quite pleasant to some.

$.
ahhhh ... I see and understand - if that was taken the wrong way I certainly didn't mean any offense..... and wholeheartedly apologize ....

What I was trying to convey is that I thought luxury model within a brand would have had a bit more upscale fit and finish ----- and an interior closer to the Lexus ... It was a poor choice for a comparison ..

If I offended then I deserve some ripping
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #30

Evergreen Owners Club
here are few , just remember the price is just a asking price , these are 2009 and up but you can go older for cheaper

2012 Prevost Coachworks, Frederick CO - 110428453 - RVTrader.com

mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
Could you expand on that..... Most of the Prevost units I have seen are really in bad taste.... But if the numbers make sense with an interior re-fit then ...

Thanks
Most motorhomes are manufactured up in Indiana due to the availability of Amish craftsmen - they have excellent 'old fashioned' skills and attention to detail.

We had a Beaver motorcoach that we loved but it didn't have the layout that we wanted and so we took a trip to Indiana and went to "Focal Wood Products" (Google them) - we purchased several custom made items that he installed and I would rate their quality as being up there with the best. It was all made from Oak but he also works in Cherry and Walnut - he DOESN'T do the high gloss glitz that you see on some high end coaches. We spent around $3000 on what we needed - about the same price as a good coffee table in CA!! At the time he was quoting around $20k for a complete rebuild of the interior of ours (38' triple slide) - well worth considering for a slightly older bus/coach that you want to make 100% yours and custom.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's all a matter of personal taste. I've seen the inside of a number of Prevost conversions and I wouldn't have any of them. They all looked to me like the lobby of some of the theaters in Branson, MO.

When we were recently shopping for a nicer, larger coach, we looked at mid 2000 (2004 - 2007) Newmar Mountain Aires, Essex, American Eagles, American Traditions, Monaco Dynasty, and a Country Coach. The CC was the only one that, for us, seemed to have the best balance of quality build and good taste in the interior finishes. Not overdone, more conservative. The quality and construction of the cherry cabinetry in our coach is some of the best I've seen, even in high end homes.

We ended up with an Allure but I would second the suggestion to take a look at Country Coach....Intrigue, Affinity, Magna. The restarted County Coach Corp. provides technical support, parts and full services/repairs (if you are willing to travel to Oregon).
Old 07-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
One person recommended looking at Entegra...at your price point you might look specifically at the Cornerstone. Think it on a par with Essex withSpartan K3 chassis, Hadley air system, and 600 HP Cummins. LazyDays or Orlando RV in your area. Not sure about North Trail.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #34

I know the feeling. We were in a 450,000 new coach a while back and the walls seemed paper thin. Our coach is a very high end one that we bought for 1/3 of your budget 3 1/2 years ago. Everything on our motorhome is high end. Everything. Country Coach in Junction City Oregon has a consignment sales operation. You should be able to get a very nice late year coach from them.

We also have some close RV friends with a Foretravel Nimbus. Their coach is built to the same level as ours. Foretravel in in Nacodoeches Tx, they sell used coaches there.

I have seen very nice American Coaches new that you would like. 400,000 I don't think is enough for most American Coaches. Used ones can easily be bought for that.

Entegra motorhomes bought Travel Supreme a couple years ago. I have a very good impression of Entegra. Although in the 400,000 model new you might see a few corners cut.

Newell makes super coaches. Very high end.

Monacao / Beaver also makes some very nice high end machines. Some of the Beaver coaches have georgous interiors. Same for Monacos. Same company today. IMHO not quite as well made as Country Coach.

Get the RVCG used motor home guide and pick a well made one from there.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
I have to say that I feel like a peasant owing a Itasca. I see no mention of Winnebago products here except for me.

I guess I am among the less financially adjel here. Retired on a fairly fixed income.

I guess my point is simple. Make a wish list. Set priorities of what you want and what is unacceptable. Then go to the manufacture websites and look at floorplans for a range of years. Pick what most fits your need and wants. Now go hunting.

Good things to look for: DW would love an onboard washer and dryer. Some are stacked, like ours, and some are all in one, like our old one. A dishwasher might be in the need department for DW. What type of mattress are you wanting? (Can always change that.)

How about dislikes? Where do you prefer your galley? Do you want the TV over the windshield or on the far wall of the galley?

No matter how well built a rig is, if it is not functional or comfortable to your needs and likes it will not please you over time. In my last rig this was the case. It looked great and the cabinet workmanship was top shelf. The layout was very nice and functional 'looking'. But after living in the coach for several years things were not what they looked to be. I compromised for what I needed for a variety of wrong reasons. For my lifestyle and needs the coach was functionally too small. We had a dishwasher and washer/dryer combo, comfortable viewing TV and sleep numbers bed, true, but the lovely looking cabinets were too small for full-time necessities, and the basement hanging off the slides was not a good mechanical idea for a guy carrying the tools I do for my volunteer work.

Whatever brand you pick and no matter what deal you make, set your priority toward 'practical for your needs'. This is the best advise I can give you from my humble(ing) experiences.

Happy hunting!

Rick
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Quote: "Entegra motorhomes bought Travel Supreme a couple years ago. I have a very good impression of Entegra. Although in the 400,000 model new you might see a few corners cut."

Was referring to Cornerstone as top of the Entegra line is just under $600K discounted to low $400s. IMO fit and finish stand up well to upper reaches of other lines in the $5-700K price point.

Tough to take on Newells and Prevosts; however, the comparison of the $400K price point and a used (2004) Prevost was discussed in two other threads in detail, with many good inputs. Might be a good read for comparisons.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In the OP opening post..."Again, not trying to be disrespectful at all - maybe I set the bar too high and need a dose of reality"

To the OP...

Be careful what you ask for. LOL

I think it is very difficult to find the kind of workmanship you are seeking in the model of MHs the large (maybe VAST) majority of members here own. There is nothing wrong with your desires it is just a little out of the main stream.

IMHO...it is extremely hard to compare Newells with production model MHs. No matter how nice the production models are, they are not custom in the sense of most (not all) Newells and Prevosts. Certainly the top of the top production models can compete in most cases if cost are factored in but, in the end, they still are production models. However, since I have never seen a custom MH owner spend any time here I am left to wonder if they have as many "punch list" issues as the "rest of us."

One over arching theme I see on many topics like this is that a large number of responses come from a more pragmatic/practical point of view. You know what I mean, "Why pay $XXX,XXX when you can get a lot of nice things with a lot less?"

While we all want well built MHs and a touch of class when possible, opulent is not main stream. The high end, luxury models you talk about are certainly not in my budget and I suspect not in most readers here. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate your ideals, it is just that I can't imagine the true need. IMHO (again) that can lead to a disconnect with the audience.

I admit that my MH choice was greatly driven by getting the most bang for the buck so that I could afford to live the lifestyle I am moving into. Having just completed a tour at Newmar I was both left drooling (clean up on isle 9) and satisfied with my current "home".

I can't imagine ever spending $50K to refurb my home. At least not at this time. Maybe after several years of happy use and I want to gussy it up I can spend 1/2 that. All my money right now has gone to the essential upgrades to make me and my lovely Sandee happy...and we are.

At the same time you have every right to spend as much as you want on what ever it is. I wouldn't even consider owning a boat like you had. OTOH...I might consider spending what you are looking to spend if I had it and knew it was that much "better" than what I had. Better is subjective since I think I am more pragmatic thus I own a 2006 model instead of something newer and snazzier.

The bottom line for you is that it appears money is not a major road block. That is cool. We don't really know your intended use. Is this a weekend machine to go to a football tailgate, weeks at a time, mostly for entertainment or what? Even that being asked doesn't really make much difference to me but only in the context of suggestions. As an example, if you tailgate...you will want an outside grill set up that pulls out. Get my drift?

In the end I think you got a dose of reality from the bleachers but it sounds like you want to be in the box seats. That is OK by me and I use that as a analogy, not an insult. I love looking at dream machines and would be most interested in your final choice with lots of pics because I think you would get my normal response with cool, neat RVs.....

SWEEEEEET!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #38

I would not trade my 42' 2003 Dynasty regal for anything I have seen lately. My running partner has a 2008 Foretravel phoenix about a million list. He has gadgets and farkles that he will never use. I am not impressed with the four slide layout but the quality and workmanship is 2nd to none. My boss has a Newell that looks like a leftover from Nascar Oh thats right it is... Find a layout that you guys both like and it will have no power issues...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote