Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #1

Started on my new roof today

Nice sunny day so I decided to start tearing the old EPDM roof off and get it ready for the new TPO roofing. WOW! was I shocked to see so much wood rot! Was only leaking in the front around the TV antenna, but there is rot on every sheet of wood.

Guess I'll just go ahead and replace all the wood. Looks like 1/4" luan or something like it up there now? Hard to believe 1/4" is all they use from the factory.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
My turn is coming shortly . . . . . Right after the next campout!

Not sure what happened as the EPDM looks good, but the sheeting underneath is definitely compromised.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Yup thin luan. We did ours a few years ago. A summary is in the link below.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:51 AM   #4

Luckily my roof has all aluminum framing under the 1/4" luan. Removed and replaced two sheets yesterday. Started on the rear of the RV. Used 3/8" plywood, self tapping drywall screws and Liquid Nail (the foam to wood kind). I'm doing this job by myself so I'm going to rent a slip at a covered RV storage lot today (just so I didn't have to hurry the job in between the weather) they will rent it to me by the week.

Found a local roofing company that will sell me a roll of 10' x 100' white TPO roofing for $500. Going to buy it, use what I need and then sell the rest.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

1/4 lauan weighs about 17.5 lbs,

1/4 hem-fir plywood weighs about 25 lbs/sheet

You might want to keep that in mind.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #6

How about some type of Hardee backer sheets like they use on homes. I know the stuff is strong as hell and impervious too water. Not sure on weight 😜 Check it out at your nearest home improvement store...
Old 05-03-2014, 03:23 AM   #7

Hardee plank is very heavy.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #8

I'm with nothermark , I would worry about the weight you put up there. Saying that I have a question for anyone. After putting down let's say you use the luan paneling , can you use the marine paint ? It's a paint that they use to cover concrete to make it waterproof. Would the glue stick to the paint to hold the TPO down. If that would work I wouldn't have to worry about the water getting to the luan or into the coach. I hope explained that well enough for you to understand.
Dr. Don
03 39S CAT 330
Old 05-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
I'm with nothermark , I would worry about the weight you put up there. Saying that I have a question for anyone. After putting down let's say you use the luan paneling , can you use the marine paint ? It's a paint that they use to cover concrete to make it waterproof. Would the glue stick to the paint to hold the TPO down. If that would work I wouldn't have to worry about the water getting to the luan or into the coach. I hope explained that well enough for you to understand.
Dr. Don
03 39S CAT 330
If the new roof is laid down correctly you wont have to worry about water getting in. I would not paint anything on the luan until I was Positive that there wouldn't be any kind of reaction between the paint and TPO.
I've had no experience with TPO but have put down a few roofs on stick-built. JX
Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like quite a project. Keep us up to date. Just want to know what I may be in for down the road. Our roof looks to be in great condition but you never know when it may decide to head South.
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #11

Jasperxray, I thank you for your comments. That's what this is all about, getting the facts and suggestions and making a decision. When you said stick built , you're not talking about RV's ?
Dr. Don
03 39S CAT 330
Old 05-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #12

Got all the old rubber roofing removed from the RV. Luan was soaked in several places. Really bad around the skylight area. Removed all the roof vents and the Skylight, Remove and moved the rear A/C up to the front area of the roof so I could start on the rear (don't want to have to take the a/c units off the roof because there very hard to handle). Striped all the Luan off the rear half of my RV. Replaced the Luan with 3/8 plywood using liquid nails and dry wall screws. Hardest place so fare is prying up all the staples that hold the strips of aluminum that make the curve that goes from the roof to the side walls of the RV.

Once I got the plywood screwed down in place on the rear section of the RV, I re-stapled the aluminum back on with an air powered horseshoe gun and moved the rear A/C back in place just to get it off of the way..

So fare I have 4 of the 7 new sheets of plywood on the RV. Will get back to it again Monday or Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140504_084228_resized.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	62062   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140504_084211_resized.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	62063  

Name:	20140504_084309_resized.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	62064   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140504_084131_resized.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	62065  

Old 05-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #13

Here's a picture of the Luan at the Skylight area. Funny thing is that it wasn't leaking inside the RV?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Skylight.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	62068  
Old 05-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
Dr. Don
03 39S CAT 330
Weight of 3/8 plywood is around 40 to 50lbs a sheet. Let's go with 50lbs. times 7 sheets, that only 350lbs even distributed over the full length of the RV. Plus I removed the old Luan which probably weighed close to 25lbs or more a sheet.

Tags
roof