Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 AM   #1

Starting coach while in storage

I have my 2007 Revolution for 10 years. When I store it, I start it every month and run it until engine temp reaches 180 degrees (Cat recommendation). I mentioned this to a group of owners in our park and they said this isn't necessary. They let theirs sit for yo to 3 months. I'm interested in hearing other opinions.
Thanks
Gary Goldman
Ggrvusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My thinking is that you should take it for a ride 'around the block' to give the complete drive train a workout and give the generator some too.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:53 AM   #3

Some suggest that by running it for a short time every month is actually worst as it adds more moisture to the systems than it drives out. An alternative might be a 30-40 minute drive ever month or so but that is a lot of work/effort. Just change the oil and let it set!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggrvusa View Post
I have my 2007 Revolution for 10 years. When I store it, I start it every month and run it until engine temp reaches 180 degrees (Cat recommendation). I mentioned this to a group of owners in our park and they said this isn't necessary. They let theirs sit for yo to 3 months. I'm interested in hearing other opinions.
Thanks
Gary Goldman
I, like you, try to start mine at least once a month - also run the generator a bit. That said while in Business I purchase a couple of B-61 Mack Dump Trucks that had been sitting for 10 years, loaded, parked not touched for at least 10 years. we drained the fuel changed the filters and jump started them - Used then every day as on site dirt haulers for 5 years without an issue, so no wrong answer here. I do it as much to keep the batteries and fluids good, as anything else.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #5

We take ours out for a short spin at least once a month while away for the winter. While out and about I fire up the generator. Besides, I get to missing the big guy and need a MH fix.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
All the drive train equipment is designed to run down the road. If it is not used it becomes unhappy. Just sitting and letting idle is ok but running it down the road and putting the engine and drive train under load makes it happy. Also don't forget to run your generator under a load. If nothing else it will freak out the mice who have decided to move in. For those who let it sit and swear by it, sit down with them and compare repair bills after a few years.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
In the Marines we were required to run our diesel tanks for 1/2 hour every week. Start up the motorhome at least once a week warm it up to operating temperature . Drive it about every two weeks. Run the generator once a week for at least a 1/2 hour. DW thinks it is a waste of fuel. My theory is diesels like to run, not sit unused.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggrvusa View Post
Thanks
Gary Goldman
I almost think this comes down to a personal choice. I was diligent with monthly exercise year round for many years but I no longer practice it. There is typically several months between the last fall trip and the first spring trip for us otherwise it gets enough exercise all the time. I'll try to let the genny run for an hour a month but no way will I just pull the coach out for "exercise". Mine sits inside, heated, plugged in, clean & waxed, and I'm comfortable leaving it hibernating until there is a good reason to disturb it.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
tcg

I have a business that is involved in the boating industry for 28 years.

Boats are put into storage for several months without ever starting them until spring. These are diesel engines, gas engines, and diesel or gas generators.

No one is ever worried about those sitting and some of those are some monster engines in million dollar+ yachts.

I rarely ever see one not go right from storage, to the hoist, start, and off they go. When they do have issues it's usually a battery. A quick charge or swap the battery and off they go.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #10

Same thing with snow plows and street sweepers in seasonally areas. When the plows are out, the sweepers are sitting.

Anybody watch " Gold Rush ", gold mining in the Yukon. Do you think the fly up there to run that equipment every few weeks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

I store my MH in a 120'X100' storage barn. I am one of the first in and one of the last out. Later this month she will go in and I will see her again mid May. This barn gets totally filled and there's no chance of starting my engine and that is fine with me. Drive it up here in the winter? Not a chance. Salt and sand aren't things I would run my MH in no matter what the temperature is.
I do the same thing with my classic car. Put it away and forget it until spring.
Lynn
Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 PM   #12

I park them and don't worry. My muscle cars and bikes the same. Trickle charge at most.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

If I could take mine for a ride once in awhile over the winter i would but I can't so i don't and its not an issue IMO. I think its more important to be sure that the batteries are taken care of correctly, but if they are chargers you should be good. I also like to put to fuel treatment in for the longer storage.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't run mine unless I'm going somewhere in it. Winter, it typically goes without running for 3 months or more.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage