Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
As cold as the OP states where he is there has to be snow and where there is snow there is "salt and calcium" on the roads........I would opt not to drive it anymore in those conditions than I had to.......I would turn it up to 900-1200 rpm's and let her warm up good(transmission will also warm up while engine is running a bit) and keep the corrosive winter ice melters off the Coach if it were mine.
In I wasn't driving it I would not start it at all. BUT ... many replies here totally ignore the fact that the OP said he was cranking it up to take it to a cabinet maker, and then to depart the area. Using the block heater via a generator before starting would be nice to do, but it should start just fine w/o preheating if that is what must be done. Thats what the intake heater/glow plugs/etc are for. And I would not be waiting until I got to FL or wherever to start the generator because I would using it while driving (when temps got above 40) to run the house heat pump!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I'll recommend this diesel fuel additive for one reason It works!DIESEL 9?1?1® For Winter Emergencies: Winter Rescue Formula ? use to reliquefy gelled fuel and de-ice frozen fuel-filters.
#2 diesel fuel is what it is, and it's #2 in both summer and winter months, however the refinery adds compounds to reduce the effect of freezing weather on the fuel. Winter blend is only sold in states where winter temperatures get down to the fuel gell-point. Then it's handy to always carry Power Service's Rescue 911.
There is a #1 diesel fuel, it produces less power(btu's) per gallon than #2 because it is blended with kerosene(higher distillates) for below 0 climates.

Great point Ray. 911 is available almost everywhere, certainly at truck stops. Keep a bottle like to in the rig. Remember, 911 is not to prevent gelling. PS makes other great products for that function.

For anyone who must operate in COLD climates, I mean COLD that an RV should never go ( ), then add this to the fuel.

Arctic Express® Diesel Fuel Antigel

I was introduced to in when I was working in Yellow Knife, NWT and I made the "STUPID" decision to use my coach. YES, a MH can keep you warm at -50. I bought some of this and use it when the temps get below 30. Yep, it is a LITTLE overkill, but if one has ever seem the nightmare of "jelly" in a fuel tank and the PAIN of getting the rig up and running...it's a bargain.

thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #31
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
I have yet to hear of a modern day diesel generator or MH engine requiring a rebuild because of excessive wear.

Diesel engines in MHs just don't receive much in the way of severe service and as such, need only the routine care we give them.

Many of the Onan genset diesels are made by Kubota, most of the MH engines are Cummins or Cat. A visit to the Cummins or Cat shop and a visit with the mechanics there will provide a lot of insight to MH diesel reliability. Remember, our MH diesels are school bus engines and will operate for years with normal care and maintenance.

Most of us will be underground before we put 150,000 miles on a diesel MH.

Remember, 150,000 miles on a diesel engine is just broken in.

Make sure your cooling system is protected to the lowest temperature your engine will be exposed to.

As for winter starting, start your engines (diesel or gasoline) only when you are going to use them. Don't exercise them ever.

If you routinely operate or garage in sub freezing temperatures, adjust your oil viscosity accordingly. A synthetic (likely 5w-40) will help with pumpability during winter starts as well as reduce rheological loads at cold cranking.

For cold weather diesel starts, first, insure that engine start batteries are full. It doesn't hurt to have a car battery and jumper cables connected prior to engine start (turn off the donor vehicle engine when jumping).

Turn on your battery switch, turn the key to run (do not spin the starter), operate the throttle from idle to full several times, wait 30 seconds, spin the starter, wait for full oil pressure and alternator voltage to go normal and drive off slowly, using moderate throttle until the engine warms.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #32
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I drove diesel trucks back in the sixties. Today's technology is waaaaay better than what we had then. We usually had trouble getting them started in the morning. The rigs nowadays are a lot better.

I have gelled semi tractors. Often it was 20 below zero. Every filter in the fuel system, (and there were several), would be filled with wax. Just towing the truck into a warm building would not solve the problem. We had to replace all those filters. Then the truck had to thoroughly warm up so it wouldn't just jell again. Usually took at least a whole day.

You do NOT want to jell your MH!!!!!!!!! If you do not have fuel that is adjusted for cold weather, use an additive or stay where it's warm.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #33
def

The OP is in Indiana not the Yukon.

Diesel fuel is seasonally adjusted there so fuel issues are not unlikely. If there is fuel concern, visit your local truck stop and ask the drivers what they use for fuel additives. They know better than we do.

Dump in the recommended amount, start the engine and drive to your location.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #34
def

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I drove diesel trucks back in the sixties. Today's technology is waaaaay better than what we had then. We usually had trouble getting them started in the morning. The rigs nowadays are a lot better.
The diesel and gasoline motor fuel we use to day is very different from that of the 60s. So is the engine oil we use today. So are the modern diesel and gasoline engines. Even the engine start batteries are better.

Comparing the two is like comparing Obama to Reagan....get it?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Birds View Post
Hi, haven't put a tach on my 8kw onan Quiet but the generator name plate says it is 2 pole making synchronous speed 3600, to have SS at 1800 you need a 4 pole generator. In any event, I like to treat my machinery gentle. Nearly 40 years working on and around heavy equipment taught me this.
Onan generators are variable speed not fixed like the Generac ones. If you have a light load the engine will idle and speed up as more load is applied. Read the manual on how to start up and shut down the generator.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #36
def

Cooperhawk, how do you like the VW diesel? I am thinking of one when I buy my next auto.

All cars should be diesel powered here in the US.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's my Wife's car and she loves it. If we take a long trip without the MH we drive it and always get in excess of 50 mpg. Just around here it averages 38 mpg. It drives very well and is comfortable to ride in.

The only gripe I have is that it is awkward to get in and out of. A tall person would bump their head.

This new diesel engine hardly has any smell to the exhaust. We traded in a VW Jedda diesel which we purchased new in 05. That engine exhaust was much more noticeable than the Passat. The trade in was excellent! The only problem we had with the Jedda was that the rear seat was too small if anyone wanted to ride along with us. The Passat is much roomier.

We have had no starting problems in cold weather. None. In fact we have had no issues with either of the VWs.

BTW, the Passat is made in Ky.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #38

This!

There are some very important design precautions to follow, though.

Turn fan on FIRST, then ignighter. When hitting the igniter button, you must hold it down for about 30 seconds to keep it running, as there's a thermocouple device that needs to reach a set temp to allow the propane to keep flowing.

If you're looking for a QUICK way to heat an undercarriage, with proper placement, this thing is awesome!!

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 12-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How much and where to buy?
Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Barb
The OP said, "I have to start it because we are planning to leave this area in January".
I could be wrong, but I assume he will have to drive it for more than more than 20-30 minutes to leave the area.
Mel

X's 2
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #41

Quote:
$200~

Google is your best friend for deals. You're likely to get at ton of sources. Ebay/Amazon come to mind.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Cooperhawk, I checked out this site www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=41

I went under forced air propane and typed my zip code and it showed me where by me you can but No luck on prices yet.

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, motorhome, winter