Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

Starting generator in cold weather.

Good evening,
I know the quiet diesel 7500 has the preheat before it starts but I checked the oil in it the other day and was kind of shocked at how thick it was. Has me a little worried that it might not be good to start the generator with oil that thick I use Rotella 15W40. in both the generator and the MH engine but the engine has a block heater but no such thing for the generator.
Should I be concerned starting the generator at 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit?
Need to leave out early one morning and forecast is for those temperature's and I would really like to have the generator at some point during the day.
What would you do?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
In looking in my owners manual for the 8KW which is basically the same generator, it says that 15W40 is good for 10 to 105 degrees. 10W30 or 10W40 is for between 0 and 100, and 5W30 is for -25 to 50.

Based on these numbers, I wouldn't worry about the extra 5 or 10 degrees difference.

What does your owners manual say?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
In looking in my owners manual for the 8KW which is basically the same generator, it says that 15W40 is good for 10 to 105 degrees. 10W30 or 10W40 is for between 0 and 100, and 5W30 is for -25 to 50.

Based on these numbers, I wouldn't worry about the extra 5 or 10 degrees difference.

What does your owners manual say?
dons2346,
Just happen to have the MH file box in the house otherwise I wasn't going out in this to get it. But I do appreciate you posting the information.
My manual says 15w40 is good from 10 to 105.
I will wait till later in the day and hopefully warmer temps to start the generator since the forecast temperature's are supposed to be at or below the minimum suggested range for the oil I'm running.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agreed, I would give it a crank in the 5 to 10 difference.

Put your wife's hair dryer on it! HA kidding. Hug it?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #5

One of the advantages of using synthetic 5W-40 oil in any diesel is the better starting performance. My Cummins 5.9 doesn't have a block heater, but starts as soon as the key switch makes contact in +/- 15 degree temps.

My PowerTech generator has a Kubota engine with a pre-heat circuit. It starts just fine following the manufacturers recommendations with 5W-40 synthetic oil. The Onan diesel generator also uses a Kubota engine. I suspect it has a pre heat function as well.

I have been testing oil in diesel and gas engines since about 1994. Synthetic oil is really better and especially in low temperature situations.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
One of the advantages of using synthetic 5W-40 oil in any diesel is the better starting performance. My Cummins 5.9 doesn't have a block heater, but starts as soon as the key switch makes contact in +/- 15 degree temps.

My PowerTech generator has a Kubota engine with a pre-heat circuit. It starts just fine following the manufacturers recommendations with 5W-40 synthetic oil. The Onan diesel generator also uses a Kubota engine. I suspect it has a pre heat function as well.

I have been testing oil in diesel and gas engines since about 1994. Synthetic oil is really better and especially in low temperature situations.

Good Luck!

Wil
Wil01'

I thought about switching to synthetic for the generator since it would be easier on it for a cold start. Next oil change I will but not going to crawl around under there now.
Haven't seen a winter like this in Southern IN since we've owned a motorhome (10 years) so I allowed myself to be lulled into thinking it won't be an issue.
Changing over to synthetic makes even more sense in that the generator is the backup for powering the house during power outages. Really don't want to have to worry about the generator not functioning in that situation.
Appreciate the info and help.

Tags
cold weather, generator