Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
Starting over

Looking for advice/views on purchasing my next motorhome.

Mine was destroyed in a fire last weekend and while it may take weeks to get the insurance resolved, I am still trying to prospect some potential replacements.

1 unit I found was a 2007 diesel pusher that is in the average price range. It only has 7700 miles. While initially this is attractive, I am worried that this lack of travel could be mechanically problematic. It has sat in the same place for the last 5 years, moving from a campsite to storage just 50 miles away.

My worries are about seals and bushings and potential oil leaks etc.

It looks great. The price is right.

1. Your thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
2. If you were starting over, what have you learned that would influence your next choice?

mar000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
So sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our brand new MH to fire in early December. We were lucky and got our check from the insurance company in 22 days!
Wishing you a speedy resolution!
Good luck in your search for your new coach!

skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
If the price is right... then I wouldn't shy away..

I would suspect you need to have tires replaced, seals, hoses, actually, anything "rubber" inspected.. but if you are getting a great deal, all of those cost's can/should be factored in.. before ruling it out.. get an oil sample.. get a trans sample and get it to a dealership/service center and have it inspected from top to bottom..

All things considered.. you could have a diamond in the rough..
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I didn't lose my coach but I looked at many newer and older coaches and settled on a 2001 HR Scepter. It had 36k miles on it owned by an elderly couple. It drove like a pig on ice herding chickens. I fixed that problem. For seven years it was driven 11 miles to and from his home to a summer campground with a couple trips of 300 miles to the ozarks. His service records were duct tape on each item with a date and what was done. Unusual but all service was done each spring. I have had it just over a year and my biggest issue? The slide out!! I had a friend from Cummins look it over and check things out and he said it was very well cared for mechanically and fluids tested out like new one. I have since put almost 10k miles on it with no issues at all, except this slide out. I have not found a shop that has a clue except Brazels in Centralia Washington. I should have had them replace both gears on each side. I was pressed for time and they worked me in to their obviously busy schedule. I had no idea they had that much going on. My point is to spend a little money up front and have a qualified shop look it over and pull samples of the fluids and check seals for leaking or seepage. It is still no guarantee but at least you will have an idea if all the bushings are tight, the tires have not aged out, brakes are good and working right, air tanks are tight and so on.

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD, Roadmaster Chassis, 8.3 Cummins, 2013 Honda CRV with a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and SMI brake system
Alan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:53 AM   #5
I would not only worry about the lack of miles, but the lack of any kind of maint. records. Since it only has 7700 miles on it, it may not of even had an oil change in years. You don't mention the name of the coach. If it's a low end motorhome, then a lot of things you can't see could be deteriorating. Get a REALLY GOOD inspection done, maybe even an oil sample analyzed. Have Cummins or Cat do an engine diagnostic. You're right to worry about seals & gaskets. Traveling only 50 miles at a time hardly gets the engine up to running temps. And what about the generator? Has it been exercised under a load about once a month? Since you obviously had a coach before, then you can probably go over it pretty good to check out all the operating systems. As to what I would look for starting over. I personally would want a coach that's been driven, and had all maint. records. I keep a detailed list of all things done on ours to pass along to the next owner. There's a lot to consider, but when it comes right down to it though, YOU'RE the one who ultimately has to decide.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #6

We bought our 2007 coach when it had 8,500 miles in 7 years...but 700 genset hours, so it was somebody's weekend getaway.

In six months and 4500 miles, just a few things to adjust and everything works as new. That said, the coach came from a moderate climate (Missouri) and the condition of the roof suggests that it was kept indoors.

Long-winded way of saying that low miles isn't a kiss of death. Sometimes we just get lucky.

Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote