Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Starting problem

I have an '07 Revolution with a Cat C9. Occasionally I have to turn the key 2x to start the coach. First time nothing happens, coach is dead, second time starts right up. Chassis batteries are new. This happened very infrequently. Today for the first time I had to turn the key 3x before if started. Would like to avoid getting stuck. Any thoughts on what it could be? I'm thinking starter or ignition.

Thanks
Gary Goldman
Aztec RV Resort
Margate FL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you say "dead", does that mean dash lights and buzzer too? Does anything happen?
Rich

Old 09-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #3

Monitor lights come on when Inturn the key halfway to preheat, then go off when key is turned all the way. I hear one click, then nothing happens. Turn key off and on and engine starts.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like a bad ignition switch or a relay that's starting to go bad. The ignition switch is not a hard thing to replace. I removed mine because a wiggle would cause to shut down. I took it out of the dash, took it to an auto parts store and they had an identical replacement part. I was able to remove the key part and switch it to the new part, so I didn't even have to use a new key.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
This was a frequent problem on the Tourmaster and several other diesel motorhomes. The manuf. does not run all the electrical load through the switch. It tends to overload the switch and causes ignition switch problems. When you turn on the switch it powers up a relay that handles the load. When these relays get a arch and causes a tit on the relay points, you have the problem you are describing.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #6

Ga traveler, what would be the fix?
Old 09-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggrvusa View Post
I think he's saying it's probably a bad relay. Doesn't sound like a real hard problem to fix. Maybe ga traveler can give you a hint as to where it might be.
Rich
Old 09-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #8

Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Monitor lights come on when Inturn the key halfway to preheat, then go off when key is turned all the way. I hear one click, then nothing happens. Turn key off and on and engine starts.
Re-check the battery connections. A good test is to try to start it and after the click, go feel the battery posts. If one is hot, there is your problem.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #10

When I had a motor home with a Cat engine I had symilar symptoms. In my case a sender was bad. There were two senders and one was backup. When one failed, the other would (after a retry) would become the one used. The failed sender put out a failure code and any Cat dealer should be able to diagnose and fix it.
It's been a while and my memory is shaky but I don't remember it to be very expensive. (Just another possibility YMMV)

Hve a nice day - Darrel
Old 09-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The fix is to replace the relay. The relay was in the electrical bay under the driver on the tourmaster. On some coaches it is in the engine access area under the bed. On others it was in the electrical compartment back by the chassis batteries. Finally there were some that had it under the dash. If someone on the forum has the same coach they might help with the location. OF course you could call the manufacturer. When you locate it, read the input voltage on the small wire while you turn on the switch to see if it a switch problem. Then read the voltage on the input and out put terminals of the relay to see if it is a relay problem. Good Luck!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #12

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #13

ga traveler; has it in a nut shell. Ignition switch sends power to the relay ( relay is grounded by the trans controller to prevent start up in gear), relay then sends power to the starter mounted solenoid, that powers the starter armature and moves the starter drive onto the ring gear to drive the crankshaft.

I'll add, if your ignition switch, is mounted on the steering column, the switch would have adjustments to insure it gets all the way into the " crank" position, and if your starter is a Denso unit , contacts in the solenoid are replaceable without purchasing a complete starter .