Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Thumbs down Starting search for Serrano

I've been searching a lot of threads on this forum for info on the Thor Serrano. I am very seriously thinking about purchasing one this year. From what I gather, most Owners seem to like their units and are satisfied with the power but their biggest complaint seems to be with the workmanship. Is this true? The closest Dealer that I could find from my location is 260 miles away, and that is the closest. I have read some theads where the comments state, good unit but find a good Dealer that is close by. Can anyone give me some of the good bad or ugly's on their units and would they suggest purchasing one. I'm looking at three different models. The 33A, 33W and 34M. Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi there Smitty, I recently purchased a new to me 2011Serrano 31V. Up front I'll tell you that I haven't had the opportunity to camp in it yet, you can't imagine how much I'm looking forward to that. My first trip was a deadhead from Montreal to Halifax, the unit was already winterized. My second was a day trip just around town, to see what its like to drive in city conditions, no problem. Until jumping into this unit I had never driven anything like this, it was a dream, very easy to handle, lots of power. My gas mileage was a little better than advertised through Quebec, flat, but average through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, I was heavy on the peddle plus it's quite a but hillier here. The turning radius is small and backing up is no problem at all. as stated I bought the unit used but everything is in place and works. There seems to be no problem with the fit and finish, I haven't camped in it but I have been all over it. Couple of things to note if your buying used; a, the chassis warranty is transferable. b, the coach warranty is not transferable.
People have asked me what it's like to drive, I tell them it's like driving a sports car...a really big sports car.
This has been my experience, I hope it helps you.
Stewart

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Smitty and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your search for a new moho! You might post questions about the Serrano in the Thor Owner's section... Thor Industries Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums .

I don't know anything about the Serrano, but I know most new motorhomes have a few "bugs" to work through. It seems to be the luck of the draw no matter which manufacturer you choose.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There is a thread on the Serrano on the Motorhome discussions and problems forum.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #5

no major issues with ours

We purchased a 2012 Serrano 33A in December, took delivery in early January, and have traveled from Idaho to AZ --1800 miles so far and have been in it over two weeks. we absolutley love it. A few minor issues but nothing like others with units a bit older have discussed in other threads. Drives like a dream; has plenty of power/torque; and gets great mileage -- double digits so far.
We moved up from a 31 ft Class C and it is like going from a Yugo to a Mercedes!
I'm sure we will find a problem or two soon, but we've received two calls already from the Thor Concierge Service checking. if you have any specific questions on this model, message or email me. John
Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Dirk Haas
Serrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty8934 View Post
I've been searching a lot of threads on this forum for info on the Thor Serrano. I am very seriously thinking about purchasing one this year. From what I gather, most Owners seem to like their units and are satisfied with the power but their biggest complaint seems to be with the workmanship. Is this true? The closest Dealer that I could find from my location is 260 miles away, and that is the closest. I have read some theads where the comments state, good unit but find a good Dealer that is close by. Can anyone give me some of the good bad or ugly's on their units and would they suggest purchasing one. I'm looking at three different models. The 33A, 33W and 34M. Thanks!!
We bought our 2011 Serrano 31V new from RV Direct, we highly recommend them. This is the second unit we bought from them. They give a discount of 35% to 40% off the price of the units. The units came directly from the factory. Check them out on the internet: rvdirect.com. We only problem we had that the rear air conditioning stopped working, we went to Camping World, where they ordered a new one, no cost for us. The only next thing that stopped working where the levelers. The pump had to be replaced, that cost us money for the service call and the installment of the pump. Both things happened on our 5000 miles three months trip out West. We really enjoy our RV, it drives and handles great. We also went twice to the Myrtle Beach area with no trouble. So in total we have around 10,000 miles on the unit. Never brought the RV to a dealer, hate going to them. The levelers got fixed at a local RV repair shop. We would not hesitate to buy another Serrano in the future and then again from RV Direct. Hope this helps.
Dirk Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty8934 View Post
Don't buy it! Too many issues, not enough room to list them all, we are on our second unit, first one was so bad, they just gave us a different one, which is now at THOT manufacturing, who is still trying to fix this one.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #8

never again

Serrano 31x defects

1. Front End alignment out
2. Front tire out of round
3. Clutch fan hitting under a load
4. Right front hydraulic line leaking
5. Water leak rear wall
6. Front roof ac vibrates motorhome
7. Roof vent raise/lower switch reversed
8. Wood floor at step sinking
9. Recall on mirror seals outside
10. Drivers window hard to open
11. Air bed leaks
12. Floor vents no heat bathroom and bedroom
13. Shower door tract misaligned
14. Passenger front seat cushion collapsed
15. Refrigerator runs off inverter instead of propane
16. Black water valve leaks
17. Black water valve not centered to compartment hole
18. Living room slide tilts, pops, catches and bends outside trim
19. Bedroom slide gear slips
20. Surround sound speakers inop
21. Antennae turning ring cut too short
22. Satellite box mounted not near tv
23. No color on back up camera
24. Dash ac vent inop
25. Driver seat pedestal too high
26. Electric step keeps running
27. Driver seat stitching lower right side needs repair
28. Steering wheel lower plastic coming apart and key sticks in start position
29. Headlights out of adjustment
30. Patio awning sticks up in the air
31. 50 amp cord attachment is inconvenient to plug in
32 toilet too small

still in shop and thor wont help!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #9

Lots of mixed stories here. Going to keep reading and searching for info on this unit. Sure like the size and mileage. I read somewhere that they are trying to improve their quality control and have a new division to do so. Can't afford a diesel pusher but don't want gas. Have a diesel truck now and really like the power. Undecided yet. Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

THOR is trying

My 2011 Serrano 31X is still at THOR, they have been working on the repairs since January 8th when they picked it up. I have to say they are making a great effort to fix everything. I receive emails from THOR frequently on the progress, however, everything is still not fixed. Also waiting to see how I will be reimbursed for all the milage put on our unit for the transporting to get it repaired. I also love the layout, and size of the unit. We pulled a 16ft trailer with 2 Harleys from NY to FL, and back, and also got good fuel milage, about 11MPG. However, driving back home to NY with no windshield wipers in a blinding snow storm was no picnic. The wipers had been worked on 3 times in the past by Buffalo RV, where we purchased the unit, cruise control worked some of the time, leaks when it rained, no heat in the bedroom, the orginial list of issues was over 30 items. I still cannot believe the amount of money we paid, and the product we are expected to be happy with. I hope the folks at THOR can correct all the issues, and we will live happily ever after RVing from NY to FL and back! I will keep you updated! Very hopeful! It is a pretty nicely designed RV!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #11

At least they acknowledge you exist. My unit is less than a year old and has 8000Mi. Thor wrote me off because I am second owner. Incredible poor customer service.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagginwheels View Post
My 2011 Serrano 31X is still at THOR, they have been working on the repairs since January 8th when they picked it up. I have to say they are making a great effort to fix everything. I receive emails from THOR frequently on the progress, however, everything is still not fixed. Also waiting to see how I will be reimbursed for all the milage put on our unit for the transporting to get it repaired. I also love the layout, and size of the unit. We pulled a 16ft trailer with 2 Harleys from NY to FL, and back, and also got good fuel milage, about 11MPG. However, driving back home to NY with no windshield wipers in a blinding snow storm was no picnic. The wipers had been worked on 3 times in the past by Buffalo RV, where we purchased the unit, cruise control worked some of the time, leaks when it rained, no heat in the bedroom, the orginial list of issues was over 30 items. I still cannot believe the amount of money we paid, and the product we are expected to be happy with. I hope the folks at THOR can correct all the issues, and we will live happily ever after RVing from NY to FL and back! I will keep you updated! Very hopeful! It is a pretty nicely designed RV!
It would be nice to hear how they fix the rear heat issue. I was told to tell my dealer he had to go through the bottom of the motorhome.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't really comment on the Serrano but hope all works out for the best. Have fun shopping.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #14

You folks have no issues, my Phaeton has and had over 80 issues and still working them after 4 repair trips to dealer and factory.

Tags
serrano