Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #15

Me too. If you're like me, and just plain can't afford a bad deal, you're going to have to educate yourself well enough/to the point you can recognize a good deal when you see one. Much easier said than done.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #16
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your buying two items, a house and a truck.

As others suggested, go kick some tires. As a new buyer, the most significant challenge I faced was not knowing what I was looking at, and not knowing what questions to ask.

The house

Make sure the house is what you want,, floor plan, and systems. Will basic systems suffice, or do you want more elaborate and complicated systems.

Electrical, plumbing, waste water, heating/cooling,

Appliances, Frig, stove, A/C unit,

There are vast differences between the lower end and the upper end of the markets regarding systems, and of course, cost.

Generally, you'll see higher quality and more complex systems sitting on top of a diesel chassis than you will a gas chassis. and of course, higher costs.

There are a lot of entry level MHs that can be had at very reasonable prices, but you need to know what to look for, what your capabilities are, what your willing to do.

The entry level coaches are generally lower build, materials, and components, and the systems are basic.

Regardless of what you look for, The two major items to look for in any coach a) water damage, b) appliances and systems operational - make sure you know them and understand how they work. (lot of homework).

The Truck

Your buying a used truck. odds are the truck hasn't been driven a lot. time is almost as much an enemy as miles.

I believe all the different chassis have their particularities, their good points and their bad. The basic inspection will be the same for any of them. The more you know what to look for and what to ask, the better you'll be able to negotiate.

Plan on new tires (age, not miles or tread are the factor to look at with tires) Plan on bringing all preventative maintenance up to current date. i.e. tires, belts, oil, trans flush, brakes, lube, etc, etc., etc. Just plan on doing everything.

Good luck, go kick some tire - While looking, DO NOT get emotionally involved with any MH. If you do, you will overspend and be disappointed later.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #17

What a neat time, the hunt for a Class A! Best of luck to you!

Suggestions:

1) Internet Research - Search the hundreds of threads over the years on Gas vs Diesel. (Play with different wording on the search, but you should find many, many threads on this. Google search too, as they're are other RV Boards!) This will give you the info on what to consider for how you think you will use this Class A. Then, make your decision that fits your usage plans.

2) Do go to RV Shows, large dealers, multi dealer Big Tent type sales. Walk thru many different rigs, and levels of quality. Start making a list of what is important to you. I call this the 'Must Have' and 'Nice to Have' list. For my wife and I, we awarded one point for each item that we found from our lists. Each of us could take five line items, and award up to 5 points max for those items. This way if a large galley counter top is important to one of you, you can award 5 points. I wanted Side Radiator, and IFS, so awarded 5 points to each of those (and three other items). This way the important items are weighted more heavily in the scoring. Each of us would independently grade a potential coach, based upon this listing. Then we'd compare and merge our scores together. This really helped us remove the emotions out of the hunt.

3) IMO, buy the highest quality coach that you can. Drop years, to remain within budget. Quality lasts, and important items like frame construction, engine, hardwood cabinets, etc. - can not realistically be added or modified into an RV.

That item 3, is the only opinion I will give you. As what matters when choosing a coach, is not what other's opinions are - it's what you feel is important that matters.

When researching, if you do not quite understand an item and why it may or may not be important. This forum is a great place to get a world of knowledge shared with you. So ask away!

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Old 08-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
What a neat time, the hunt for a Class A! Best of luck to you!

Suggestions:

1) Internet Research - Search the hundreds of threads over the years on Gas vs Diesel. (Play with different wording on the search, but you should find many, many threads on this. Google search too, as they're are other RV Boards!) This will give you the info on what to consider for how you think you will use this Class A. Then, make your decision that fits your usage plans.

2) Do go to RV Shows, large dealers, multi dealer Big Tent type sales. Walk thru many different rigs, and levels of quality. Start making a list of what is important to you. I call this the 'Must Have' and 'Nice to Have' list. For my wife and I, we awarded one point for each item that we found from our lists. Each of us could take five line items, and award up to 5 points max for those items. This way if a large galley counter top is important to one of you, you can award 5 points. I wanted Side Radiator, and IFS, so awarded 5 points to each of those (and three other items). This way the important items are weighted more heavily in the scoring. Each of us would independently grade a potential coach, based upon this listing. Then we'd compare and merge our scores together. This really helped us remove the emotions out of the hunt.

3) IMO, buy the highest quality coach that you can. Drop years, to remain within budget. Quality lasts, and important items like frame construction, engine, hardwood cabinets, etc. - can not realistically be added or modified into an RV.

That item 3, is the only opinion I will give you. As what matters when choosing a coach, is not what other's opinions are - it's what you feel is important that matters.

When researching, if you do not quite understand an item and why it may or may not be important. This forum is a great place to get a world of knowledge shared with you. So ask away!

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Great advice!!!

gemert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go with diesel! I've driven both for years. No comparison. I recently picked up a new Forest River with a v-10 drove it from Indiana to Houston. I wouldn't trade my Fleetwood Revolution for 10 of them.

KB.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #20

Having owned, 5 Motorhomes over the last 40 yrs. The best advice I got, was with the first one, a '74 Class C Tioga gas, 27 ft. He told us, that in order to know what we wanted, you have to buy one to figure out what you want. After 5, we figured it out!! LOL!!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:46 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Having owned, 5 Motorhomes over the last 40 yrs. The best advice I got, was with the first one, a '74 Class C Tioga gas, 27 ft. He told us, that in order to know what we wanted, you have to buy one to figure out what you want. After 5, we figured it out!! LOL!!
Curious, whats a Monaco Beaver? I know Beavers were made by Monaco but is that a model I've never heard of or just a simplification? Thanks
gemert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
Brakeman, DW and I window shopped for about 2 years and were serious for about 6 months. I've had TTs but never an A. We went to every RV show we could, talked to a ton of salesman (most are clueless btw), and went to 3 or 4 local rv shops multiple times. I was on a first name basis with the sales guys at the local dealerships. I was constantly on the PPL site and rv trader. I also watched the closed deals on eBay. This research allowed me to understand value, floor plan, and quality. When we found the coach we purchased from a dealer within 50 miles, I knew we were getting a good deal on a quality coach.

When you do pull the trigger, absolutely hire an independent tech to thoroughly inspect the Moho. And do not take the dealers word on anything. Put everything in writing in the offer.

At the moment, the DW and I are in a lovely park on the coast in Fort Bragg, CA. We really are enjoying our coach.

Good luck
Bill
Hi Bill,
I'm heading to Fort Bragg in Sept for several days. What RV park would you recommend?
Thanks, Larry
Old 08-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
I am beginning a search for a Class A MH. I am in the $65K range so I assume it will be about 10 years old. This will be our first. Anyone have suggestions as to what is the pro or cons of Diesel verses Gas. Any motors to stay away from? Any suggestions will be appreciated... Jim
If your considering a Class A Gas RV...Take a look at the 2006+ Itasca Suncruiser or Winnebago Sightseer models. I also like Tiffin Allegro models. Try to get a model with 22K lb. chassis and 22.5 wheels/tires. They are popular, loaded with features and many available on the market. Look at condition of coach/chassis (paint, decals, slide-out seals/toppers, awnings, roof condition, low mileage, service records). Make sure it has "new", name brand tires! Stay within 10 years, if financing. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #24

I agree that floor plan is the first thing to shop for. What are you going to do with your MH will determine the floor plan. Is it just 2 of you or are there more traveling with you? We created a MUST LIST of features and then went shopping. I am of the school that believes up to 34 ft gas wins over that diesel wins. That said since it seems you will be purchasing a used MH check all the basic boxes, new tires, batteries service records and appearance. Have a independent inspect all systems both power train and house functions. This is a basic rule we use and we purchased a fantastic MH that has been trouble free within our budget and provides us with all the comforts we were hoping to get
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks the great thing about a forum, everyone offer you their advice and opinions, read them and filter as required. Selecting an RV is an individual thing, so:
1. Get one that meets your needs. Gas or Diesel, 20 ft - 54"
2. Within your budget. If you can't afford to operate it, stay away.
3. Style that appeals to you and yours. Euro style, traditional, bus etc.
4. Then.....ENJOY IT. The only thing that matters in the end.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #26

Floorplan first, Budget is really important. Don't spend everything you can afford to purchase the coach. Figure what you can afford, look at licensing fees and taxes. Hold back a minimum of 20% to 25% from what you can afford to pay to purchase a coach. That 20% hopefully will pay for repairs to items you didn't realize needed repairing, or that broke right after you purchased it. Then DON'T GO OVER THAT FIGURE! Also factor in annual maintenance, insurance, etc. If you can't find the coach you want for what you can afford to spend, someone suggested go a little older in your search. We recently purchased a 2001 Newmar Dutch Star. We were looking for something 2004 to 2006, but the condition of this coach, maintenance records, care lavished on it by the previous owners (also the original owners) was incredible. We're ecstatic with our purchase. Good luck in your search!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH1481 View Post
Hi Bill,
I'm heading to Fort Bragg in Sept for several days. What RV park would you recommend?
Thanks, Larry
Pomo is the best. While there stop at D'Aurelios for a superb Italian meal. Then late morning go by Noyo harbor and you can buy fresh Salmon from the fisherman. The fish market is expensive, you can get a bargain right off the boat.

BTW, we took 128 from 101. I think it is better than 20, but the first 11 miles are brutal. You will have a great time.
Bill
Old 08-17-2015, 12:27 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thanks for info on Ft Bragg. RT 128 is a good idea, can check out some wineries on the trip. Regards, Larry

Tags
class a