Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Starting to look at Class A MH!

I am beginning a search for a Class A MH. I am in the $65K range so I assume it will be about 10 years old. This will be our first. Anyone have suggestions as to what is the pro or cons of Diesel verses Gas. Any motors to stay away from? Any suggestions will be appreciated... Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #2

Before you get wrapped up in GAS VS DIESEL.... I would strongly suggest you go out and start kicking tires and looking at as many RV's as you can... go to an RV show.. take one of each (gas/diesel) for a test drive..

The biggest thing to "get right" on purchasing an RV isn't gas vs diesel.. it's getting the right floor plan that works for you (Golden Rule: Happy Wife = Happy Life)...

So.. get out there and start kicking tires.. exploring all the floor plans you can see.. if going to a show.. don't hesitate to sit in it for a long period of time.. try to get the "lay of the land"...

Once you've determined a floor plan that will work for you and your DW... then you can start to explore the gas vs diesel debate !!

Good luck.. the journey of purchasing a new-to-you RV is very exciting... heck, I'm already starting my search and I won't be buying for at least another five years!!!

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought our 02 Journey when it was about that old. Great coach so far.
I really like the diesel pusher. We had a front engine, but the DP is night and day with power and quietness.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

WARNING! Going to RV shows can be hazardous to your wallet.
We went looking for our first RV at a show. The intent was to buy a used Class C or A and no bigger than 30 feet.
Bought a brand new 36 foot Class A. Since then it's only gotten worse.
It's a sickness I think.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #5

There is SO much to consider, you have my complete sympathy and condolences!

That said, I'd go diesel. After that decision, it's much easier.... Been there, done that.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, that price range will put you very close to getting a 2002 Monaco Windsor 40' DP! We LOVE our 40PBT! Below are some of the features we like.

Full air leveling, no hydraulic jacks
Roadmaster 8 airbag chassis
Cummins ISC350 engine
Allison 3000 tranny
Side radiator (easy to work on engine)
Side exhaust pipe
Privacy doors between bath and bedroom and between bath and living room
Separate "throne" room with lavatory
Three slides with slide toppers
Awnings over entry door and both bedroom windows
One-piece windshield
Onan 7500 watt diesel genny on roll-out in front.
Couch on one side and chairs on opposite side.
Washer/dryer
Full-body paint

We have made a lot of mods for comfort and safety. Below is a list of some.

Removed TV from above the dash and rebuilt cabinets to be level across. Mounted 40" LED TV on remote-controlled motorized mount behind couch.

Installed SteerSafe steering stabilizers for added protection in case of a blowout on a front tire.

Replaced the original chairs with an Ashley Loveseat with electric rocker/recliners.

Replace all flooring with luxury vinyl tile and small amount of carpet.

Replaced surround sound system.

I know there are other great coaches out there, but just wanted to tell you that this one would be a good choice in that price range!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #7

DP or Class A? To each their own I say. Check the layout/floor plans for what suits your purpose best. Myself, I got tired of all the air beds/mattresses being shown or not shown. Bunk beds, give me a break. If you buy whatever get yourself a nice mattress with a foam mattress cover to lay on.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Before you get wrapped up in GAS VS DIESEL.... I would strongly suggest you go out and start kicking tires and looking at as many RV's as you can... go to an RV show.. take one of each (gas/diesel) for a test drive..

The biggest thing to "get right" on purchasing an RV isn't gas vs diesel.. it's getting the right floor plan that works for you (Golden Rule: Happy Wife = Happy Life)...

So.. get out there and start kicking tires.. exploring all the floor plans you can see.. if going to a show.. don't hesitate to sit in it for a long period of time.. try to get the "lay of the land"...

Once you've determined a floor plan that will work for you and your DW... then you can start to explore the gas vs diesel debate !!

Good luck.. the journey of purchasing a new-to-you RV is very exciting... heck, I'm already starting my search and I won't be buying for at least another five years!!!
I don't agree! Maybe I'm different but I can adapt to a floor plan pretty easily. There are only a couple "real" floor plans with a couple dozen variations. What I can't easily adapt to is lack of air suspension, Diesel power, rear engine for quiet ride, front generator for quiet sleep and hill climbing torque. So we are all different. I hate people telling me what I should and should not consider. I like friendly advice all over the spectrum so I can pick out what I want to do. Have a great day and I guess you see what my preference is.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #9

We agree with the Floor Plan as well. There are quite a few coaches that the floor plan is really bad. Some floor plans you are unable to get around if the slides are in. We went to shows before and after we bought our RV's basically to watch the floor plan changes, Just leave your wallet/purse at home. Gas vs Diesel is a choice you must make. Our first Class 'A' was gas the current one Diesel. Quite and Smooth ride are very good reasons for diesel. Maintenance cost a little more but the quite smooth ride makes up for it. We bought our Gulf Stream Yellow Stone used and it is built very well. Biggest thing to look for on a used coach is maintenance records.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #10

Brakeman, DW and I window shopped for about 2 years and were serious for about 6 months. I've had TTs but never an A. We went to every RV show we could, talked to a ton of salesman (most are clueless btw), and went to 3 or 4 local rv shops multiple times. I was on a first name basis with the sales guys at the local dealerships. I was constantly on the PPL site and rv trader. I also watched the closed deals on eBay. This research allowed me to understand value, floor plan, and quality. When we found the coach we purchased from a dealer within 50 miles, I knew we were getting a good deal on a quality coach.

When you do pull the trigger, absolutely hire an independent tech to thoroughly inspect the Moho. And do not take the dealers word on anything. Put everything in writing in the offer.

At the moment, the DW and I are in a lovely park on the coast in Fort Bragg, CA. We really are enjoying our coach.

Good luck
Bill
Old 08-14-2015, 10:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
I don't agree! Maybe I'm different but I can adapt to a floor plan pretty easily. There are only a couple "real" floor plans with a couple dozen variations.........

+1.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
WARNING! Going to RV shows can be hazardous to your wallet.
We went looking for our first RV at a show. The intent was to buy a used Class C or A and no bigger than 30 feet.
Bought a brand new 36 foot Class A. Since then it's only gotten worse.
It's a sickness I think.
We bought our first MH at a county fair! Didn't even know they were there. Dealer had a new 1988 Okanagan 17' there that he had just signed up to sell and we bought it then and there. Have never bought one at an RV show even though we've been to dozens.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakeman48 View Post
I am beginning a search for a Class A MH. I am in the $65K range so I assume it will be about 10 years old. This will be our first. Anyone have suggestions as to what is the pro or cons of Diesel verses Gas. Any motors to stay away from? Any suggestions will be appreciated... Jim

If you're buying used, your basic compromise balance will be age v. quality, and the gas v. diesel question often becomes an integral part of that consideration. An older coach from a high quality manufacturer will be a generally more satisfying and reliable addition.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
[QUOTE=Billinwoodla;2697640]Brakeman, DW and I window shopped for about 2 years and were serious for about 6 months. I've had TTs but never an A. We went to every RV show we could, talked to a ton of salesman (most are clueless btw), and went to 3 or 4 local rv shops multiple times. I was on a first name basis with the sales guys at the local dealerships. I was constantly on the PPL site and rv trader. I also watched the closed deals on eBay. This research allowed me to understand value, floor plan, and quality. When we found the coach we purchased from a dealer within 50 miles, I knew we were getting a good deal on a quality coach.

When you do pull the trigger, absolutely hire an independent tech to thoroughly inspect the Moho. And do not take the dealers word on anything. Put everything in writing in the offer.

At the moment, the DW and I are in a lovely park on the coast in Fort Bragg, CA. We really are enjoying our coach.

Good luck
Bill[/QUOTE/]

DITTO BILL!!! If I didn't know better I would thought I wrote this.

Tags
class a