Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
starting to sweat

my wife and I are purchasing a 40 ft class a Monaco........I have been looking at posts and all other information I can, to see what rv camps and parks have room for my rv................learning that "big rig friendly" doesn't really mean it is practical to park a 40 footer in some camp grounds...........I know there are other posts out there discussing this, but some of them were dated...........can anyone with an rv 40 ft or more tell me what the real story is?...............will it fit or not?...........I have tried state park websites, national park websites, big rig camping "books", but many do not specifically mention rv length.......paper signing is coming soon, so please help me.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
starting to sweat

Welcome to the forum. Have you checked out the reviews at http://www.rvparkreviews.com ? You'll find the info you're looking for there .
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Almost 7 years and 50,000 miles in our Monaco (see signature) and NEVER a problem.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:04 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I have had a 43 foot Fiver and now a 41 ft coach. Never had any problems what-so-ever.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #5

We just got our 40' coach 3 months ago. However we had a 39' 5th wheeler for 10 years before this.

When you get that big, you eliminate many state park and national park campgrounds,,, or certainly cut down on the number of sites they offer.

The same is true for commercial parks, however not nearly as prevalent. There have been times when they had sites, but not that we would fit in. It isn't common, but does occur.

Anyway, we do not regret having a big rig. We work around it. Plan ahead a little more, if on the road call ahead and find a park rather than popping in. Most of the time, we get a site without much hassle.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
We just got our 40' coach 3 months ago. However we had a 39' 5th wheeler for 10 years before this.

When you get that big, you eliminate many state park and national park campgrounds,,, or certainly cut down on the number of sites they offer.

The same is true for commercial parks, however not nearly as prevalent. There have been times when they had sites, but not that we would fit in. It isn't common, but does occur.

Anyway, we do not regret having a big rig. We work around it. Plan ahead a little more, if on the road call ahead and find a park rather than popping in. Most of the time, we get a site without much hassle.

L.
Very true ... and actually starts at about 37 feet. Even if the site is OK, the road to get there may have limitations.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
sweating

thanks..............very helpful, especially the call ahead part...............
Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #8

State Parks can be a problem primarily due to overhanging tree branches, not length of spaces. We have not had a problem with a little planning and "looking ahead". Learn to use the measuring tool on Google Earth and you can fairly accurately know the length of the spaces in most parks. I do this routinely and have eliminated some ahead of time.

Don
Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM   #9

You need to accept there will sometimes be problem where a 40 ft. RV won't fit a site. That's the trade off you pay for something that long, but it's obviously worth it to many satisfied owners. A great process is to view the intended campground in Google Earth (not google maps). Look in the menu bar for TOOLS, then RULER and use your curser to measure the length of a site in the satellite view of a campground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
my wife and I are purchasing a 40 ft class a Monaco........I have been looking at posts and all other information I can, to see what rv camps and parks have room for my rv................learning that "big rig friendly" doesn't really mean it is practical to park a 40 footer in some camp grounds...........I know there are other posts out there discussing this, but some of them were dated...........can anyone with an rv 40 ft or more tell me what the real story is?...............will it fit or not?...........I have tried state park websites, national park websites, big rig camping "books", but many do not specifically mention rv length.......paper signing is coming soon, so please help me.....
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #10

I also find it useful to check the campgrounds I plan to stay in and fuel stops on google maps (terrain view) or google earth. You can get a good idea of which to avoid from there. Then check some of the campground review web sites for others experiences. Usually if there is an issue someone will note it in their review. I am a tad shorter than 40' but things have gone well so far.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #11

starting to sweat

Had our 40' coach for 14 months now. We very seldom make reservations. (Maybe an hour ahead) never had any problems.

One state park had a tree issue. Worked around it.

Fuel stops are a little tight sometimes. We just get off at an exit and check close before driving in. I pull a toad which tightens it up a bit. Occasionally I go to another station. Never been in a position that I have to have fuel immediately.

The very minor issues well worth the extra length. Love the 40'

Russell
Old 08-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I go to state and corps of engineer parks all the time. There are some that do not have spaces for a bigger rig but I have generally been able to look on their website and see. Most of the corps and state parks show the length of each individual site on their website. Finding sites that have a flat area long enough to level in will be your bigger worry. A flat area long enough to level your coach in is a harder thing to find. I have been able to do it in most of the parks I have stayed in but sometimes there are only a few sites I can do that in. We have a list of the places we go on a regular basis starting with the best site for us in that park and work our way down the list.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #13

BTW, length isn't the only issue. Number and location of slides can be an issue.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess the question could come down to how proficient and skilled are you as a driver. There are many spots I would guess that have been closed because someone was unable to move their unit into what should be a fairly simple straightforward site.

After having someone come in and tear a strip off of the staff because a site was assigned that was "impossible" to park in it is easier for management to apply a limit to the site. There are plenty of other folks with smaller units to put in those sites and the chance of repercussions and reduced.