Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Red face Starting to think Retro is the WAY TO GO

Hi! I am a newbie and looking to purchase my first RV to live in full time. I am looking to simplify my life and have the option to travel the states - so naturally RVing made its way into my life.

I am 25 and financially stable but not looking at spending more than $25,000. Initially I have been trying to stick with the idea of a Class C for a few reasons - but am being more open to the idea of a Class A (mostly because the good deals I've been finding are Class A's, haha.) I am not looking for fancy - just reliable and well taken care of.

Here are a few I recently found:

27' Retro Class A Motorhome in GREAT shape!

33' with Slide! GREAT PRICE! GREAT SHAPE!

Camping in Class "A" Complete Remodel

Any thoughts?

I also found these two Class C's... Any opinions here?

Gulfstream Ultra-Class C Motorhome With 2 Slide Outs

1998 jamboree class C motorhome 28ft with a large slide out

ANY and ALL comments/questions/advice/etc is welcome... Help me find my perfect home
GypsyYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That brave is cool!!! So is the georgie boy, BOY I sure have seen a lot of those on the road.

The Jamboree sure has that cool vintage look to it doesn't it?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
That brave is cool!!! So is the georgie boy, BOY I sure have seen a lot of those on the road.

The Jamboree sure has that cool vintage look to it doesn't it?
Hi Plasma!

I'm actually kind of in love with the 27' "retro class A" - because it reminds of me of 70's and 80's haha... I also like the fact that they rebuilt the engine / new tires / etc.. Cant wait to meet up with them and learn more.

I am also fairly interested in the "camping in class "A" remodel" because of how unique it is - plus low miles and what seems to be an awesome price.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #4

FWIW I looked at some really nice coaches for under 25K. One was a 97 Dream that I actually passed on due to bad timing on my part...I could have had it for 22k and it was cherry. The rubber roof had been changed and the tires were 2 years old.

I looked at a 98 Eagle with a slide for $25k, it had custom paint and I could not get an answer as to why it was changed so I passed.

I ended up getting a sweet 96 Vectra Grand Tour on a Freightliner for a song... I love vintage coaches because of the simplicity and the value, but I own tools and am not afraid to use em.

I am a Winnebago fan because you can still get parts for that Brave you posted....try that with most other brands of that age (If they are still under the same ownership anyways)
Vectraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #5

Love the retro rig but age is a factor , water penetration is your biggest concern , once into walls roof it's always an issue .
Look closely at at units , look for signs of de lamination on side walls
Winnebago is still in business so parts and tech advice are available .
Think about how much driving you will do , a newer engine mated to a newer transmission may offer an easier relaxed drive .
Good luck
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Last year, I bought a 1998 Pace Arrow Vision 37' w/2 slides, 59,000 miles, 460 Ford, for $10,000.00. Replaced both windshields and a side glass for $1,800.00. Just got back from 4 months in S. Texas. Auto parts stores have just about everything you can need for the Chevy/Ford based units. I would recommend the $9,400.00 unit for your first motorhome to cut your teeth on. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #7

Thanks for your replies everybody!!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #8

My wife and I just got our first class a as well. I gave a 10k harley street glide for it. It's a 97 holiday endeavor 38ft 1 slide with 40k miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1432770938989.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	95445  
chasecoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

This is a tough call. The vintage really looks vintage and reminds me of our family room circa 1975- burnt orange. I would really look around. Last year my dad was looking for a class A. We looked on an off all summer. Then, around August or so one was traded that was really beautiful. I mean fancy and in great condition. It had an office bedroom with glass pane french doors and a cool bath privacy hall. It was around $40K though but still. Excellent condition. It was a Holiday Rambler. He did not get it, too slow to the draw.

Widen your net and consider your wants. I would question why a 70K mile MH had a rebuilt engine. Also, watch the roofs. In Florida we have lots of RVs ruined by heat, sun and water. Those with Fiberglass roofs fare well.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #10

Gypsy,
Age is your enemy here. Not yours, the coaches. The older something is, the more prone it is to issues/breakages/malfunctions/outdated parts/and much more. Now, you state you're 25. Well, that's pretty cool that a 25 year can do what you're about to do and that is, cruise the U.S. without reservations. Now, while you're not wanting to spend over a certain amount, as in or, around $25K, that will most likely get you something that's in the age era that may be ready for some costly repairs/maintenance.

Is this guaranteed to happen, nope, not at all. It's just that, in that price bracket and age era, I would expect some issues to pop up, at any given time. I don't know how well versed you are in RV repair or maintenance but, the older it is, the more you could see some deterioration in any and or, all systems. Much of this depends on how well it's been taken care of, where it was stored, (salt air/beach/ocean/humid climates). If you've got some DIY back ground and, wrench turning capabilities, you'll be that much better off in your journey.

I'm certainly not trying to dissway your decision to go "Retro", not at all. Just trying to help you understand that the older something is, the more it might have "hidden" troubles or issues. Other than those warnings/suggestions, I hope you find one, maybe in the ones you've listed, that will suit your needs and, of course, give you the best possible service while in your U.S. travels. That is enviable, that's for sure. Good luck and happy RVing.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #11

Hi. It looks like you live in the Denver metro area...as I do. As a hobby, I buy and restore RVs from the 70's to 90's. I think the older RVs have a lot more personality and character. Currently I own 4 and 3 are in pretty mint condition. If this is your first RV, I suggest you consider something with fuel injection and includes an overdrive transmission, unless you really are into a classic older RV. The Honey RV in your post is cool, but it is definitely over priced in my opinion. That brand and model is not real collectible and he'd be lucky in Colorado to get 1/2 of his asking price. I comb CL all day and there are some real deals but you have to spend time looking and be quick to draw with cash. The Winnebago looks nice but priced a little high. At $17K in Denver, it will be for sale for a while. $11-13K is more realistic, regardless of what NADA says. I'd take my time and keep looking for exactly what you want, can afford, and your mechanical skill set. This is also the top of the season. I suspect that if you looked during the off season, and once gas goes back up to $3.00+, prices will come back down. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #12

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
This is a tough call. The vintage really looks vintage and reminds me of our family room circa 1975- burnt orange. I would really look around. Last year my dad was looking for a class A. We looked on an off all summer. Then, around August or so one was traded that was really beautiful. I mean fancy and in great condition. It had an office bedroom with glass pane french doors and a cool bath privacy hall. It was around $40K though but still. Excellent condition. It was a Holiday Rambler. He did not get it, too slow to the draw.

Widen your net and consider your wants. I would question why a 70K mile MH had a rebuilt engine. Also, watch the roofs. In Florida we have lots of RVs ruined by heat, sun and water. Those with Fiberglass roofs fare well.
I am going to look around trust me and as weird as it sounds I kind of like the retro orange color haha - I am a hippie at heart. It looks like its been very well maintained - I am scheduled to look at it tomorrow and talk to the owners more

Fancy is cool and all but honestly I'm a simple girl and just want something that has been taken care of and runs well. I will be asking people for maintenance records, etc. And I will definitely be asking the owner of the Honey why the engine was rebuilt at 70k.

I will definitely check the roofs and lamination - etc.. for wear tear, leaks, and such. I don't want fancy but I don't want a rotten egg either

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gypsy,
Age is your enemy here. Not yours, the coaches. The older something is, the more prone it is to issues/breakages/malfunctions/outdated parts/and much more. Now, you state you're 25. Well, that's pretty cool that a 25 year can do what you're about to do and that is, cruise the U.S. without reservations. Now, while you're not wanting to spend over a certain amount, as in or, around $25K, that will most likely get you something that's in the age era that may be ready for some costly repairs/maintenance.

Is this guaranteed to happen, nope, not at all. It's just that, in that price bracket and age era, I would expect some issues to pop up, at any given time. I don't know how well versed you are in RV repair or maintenance but, the older it is, the more you could see some deterioration in any and or, all systems. Much of this depends on how well it's been taken care of, where it was stored, (salt air/beach/ocean/humid climates). If you've got some DIY back ground and, wrench turning capabilities, you'll be that much better off in your journey.

I'm certainly not trying to dissway your decision to go "Retro", not at all. Just trying to help you understand that the older something is, the more it might have "hidden" troubles or issues. Other than those warnings/suggestions, I hope you find one, maybe in the ones you've listed, that will suit your needs and, of course, give you the best possible service while in your U.S. travels. That is enviable, that's for sure. Good luck and happy RVing.
Scott
Thanks for your reply Scott!

I understand that with age everything is bound to break and need repairs, etc... But I also think that if I can find a older motorhome that has been taken care of and runs strong for 10-25 grand then whatever repairs its going to need here and there are fine because im not locked into a 70,000 dollar loan. I am looking to start small and simple and maybe work into something newer. Given my age and price range though I think I have a good idea of what im doing as far as choosing old versus new.

Happy RVing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
Hi. It looks like you live in the Denver metro area...as I do. As a hobby, I buy and restore RVs from the 70's to 90's. I think the older RVs have a lot more personality and character. Currently I own 4 and 3 are in pretty mint condition. If this is your first RV, I suggest you consider something with fuel injection and includes an overdrive transmission, unless you really are into a classic older RV. The Honey RV in your post is cool, but it is definitely over priced in my opinion. That brand and model is not real collectible and he'd be lucky in Colorado to get 1/2 of his asking price. I comb CL all day and there are some real deals but you have to spend time looking and be quick to draw with cash. The Winnebago looks nice but priced a little high. At $17K in Denver, it will be for sale for a while. $11-13K is more realistic, regardless of what NADA says. I'd take my time and keep looking for exactly what you want, can afford, and your mechanical skill set. This is also the top of the season. I suspect that if you looked during the off season, and once gas goes back up to $3.00+, prices will come back down. Good luck!
I live in Fort Collins. What years did they start making RV's with overdrive trans and fuel injection? Thank you for the advice on it being over priced - I am going to look at it tomorrow and will see how far they are willing to budge on the price. I am also going to relook at NADA values so I have a general idea.

I do also realize this is top of the season but my lease is up in August and this I am set in making this happen this year. Thanks for letting me know though

Cheers everyone!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #13

I think I have what you need. A 1991 Foretravel Grand Villa. I just posted it for sale because I upgraded.

ORED 300HP Cat w/MT647 Allison 4 speed.
"Monarch Pass" proven exhaust brake
Recent rebuild on Alternator
Recent Air dryer rebuild
Tires 3 yrs old
New house and chassis batteries
Recent generator exhaust and manifold replacement
Recent thermostat replacements
Updated interior, couch, recliner, chair, valances, curtains,
flat screen 19" tv w/dvd player
New stereo, new speakers
New comode
Recent control board replacement in front heater
Cons:
Dash A/C not working
Leveling system has control board issue

It has around 90000 miles. and I'm asking $25000

If you are not familiar with Foretravel it is a top of the line coach. You won't find a nicer coach for the money.

QUOTE=GypsyYears;2576871]I am going to look around trust me and as weird as it sounds I kind of like the retro orange color haha - I am a hippie at heart. It looks like its been very well maintained - I am scheduled to look at it tomorrow and talk to the owners more

Fancy is cool and all but honestly I'm a simple girl and just want something that has been taken care of and runs well. I will be asking people for maintenance records, etc. And I will definitely be asking the owner of the Honey why the engine was rebuilt at 70k.

I will definitely check the roofs and lamination - etc.. for wear tear, leaks, and such. I don't want fancy but I don't want a rotten egg either

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for your reply Scott!

I understand that with age everything is bound to break and need repairs, etc... But I also think that if I can find a older motorhome that has been taken care of and runs strong for 10-25 grand then whatever repairs its going to need here and there are fine because im not locked into a 70,000 dollar loan. I am looking to start small and simple and maybe work into something newer. Given my age and price range though I think I have a good idea of what im doing as far as choosing old versus new.

Happy RVing!

I live in Fort Collins. What years did they start making RV's with overdrive trans and fuel injection? Thank you for the advice on it being over priced - I am going to look at it tomorrow and will see how far they are willing to budge on the price. I am also going to relook at NADA values so I have a general idea.

I do also realize this is top of the season but my lease is up in August and this I am set in making this happen this year. Thanks for letting me know though

Cheers everyone![/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2503.png
Views:	84
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	95567  
Rlkohl is offline   Reply With Quote