Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 05:57 AM   #1

Unhappy Starting/turning over/spinning

98 fleetwood southwind,
chevy cp30 445 v8 7.4

Wouldn’t start on Saturday $300 service call a plus a new starter... get from storage (boxes not rv) back to campground... won’t start again... making same sound... about to crawl around an check all necessary connection... online troubleshooting has a very expensive item in the list...that I cannot afford... especially after 2 weeks of 500 repairs already...and another for tires in my future...(I didn’t think a used RV would go south so fast...only 6th month)

Thoughts on starting issue?
Thoughts on “getting out” of this RV into smaller without financing?

This is my home...part dream, part to not be homeless...cannot afford area I live in ...after military and jobs are tough...

Thanks
Q1
Quirky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club

Hang in there. After you get this beast going you'll likely enjoy this new life style much more.

Are you sure the battery is charged up fully? It would hurt to remove and clean all the large cables to/from battery and starter.

At least once my new alternator from autozone went bad within the week.

More help is on the way......
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sorry to hear about your problem. Maybe you could describe what you are doing and the sounds the engine is making. From the title of the thread it sounds like its turning over, but not starting. Is that right?
Old 06-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #4

OKC newbie

OKCNEWBIE...

House batteries charged... on shore power... same SOUND before roadside service (on saturday) said “it’s your starter” and then not available for help on sunday..
Today is a MONDAY...though I usually don’t have MONDAYS...
I have to get to work by 2pm...
don’t get paid until friday,
supposed to move spots in campground TODAY by 11am or so...
no money
no credit cards
my pick up needs tags, but can’t get those, because RV took all my money... so can’t drive that... my hope for a SLOW transition into my DREAM has turned INSANE...
I have a FURBALL... so if it was just me I’d be better about the DEAL... but need place for Furball... =)

I am in VA if anyone knows GOOD/BETTER Mechanics/Business that can work with me...

I have Good Sam’s membership...not sure what that all ENTAILS... since I haven’t received my package yet...
that’s all just for starters... no pun intended...

cheers~

Dear Quirky1,

okcnewbie has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Starting/turning over/spinning - in the Class A Motorhome Discussions forum of iRV2 Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/star...-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:

Hang in there. After you get this beast going you'll likely enjoy this new life style much more.

Are you sure the battery is charged up fully? It would hurt to remove and clean all the large cables to/from battery and starter.

At least once my new alternator from autozone went bad within the week.

More help is on the way......
Old 06-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #5

SOUND... WHHHRRRsh NOT CATCHING... NO CLICKING... not usual now power noises... assuming mechanic installed starter properly... but also assume that IF he could have seen the issue with the flywheel he would have said something...and maybe when he got it started... it was the LAST START on the flywheel... all plugs and wires seem seated...and battery levels seem fine... aux start didn’t help saturday with the SAME wwhhhrrrsh noise... it isn’t the BREAK down so much as much as it is getting to work (rv has been transport due to RV site issues and other vehicle issue) and others are supposed to move into THIS spot and me into another... not sure of “size” issue... they must be larger than me...if they cannot get into another spot... thanks for checking in.. tag
Old 06-27-2016, 07:50 AM   #6

Being on a budget either Google or visit local library and locate a manual for your chassis or a comparable truck.

Check out troubleshooting area so you can understand what yiu need to do.

Harbor freight has voltmeters cheap and sometimes free with purchase so find something else too.

If a "pro" changed starter already and it is doing exactly same thing then call them and insist they at least return under warranty to check it out again.

The replacement starter could be bad or he could have missed something.

Most all states require some sort of service warranty for service folks so first look at your paperwork from tge service to see if a warranty is tgere then so whomever dud the work and request they come out ASRP ...as soon as REASONABLE possible meaning you need it yesterday but can wait maybe a day or three to allow them to get you when passing by to avoid a special trip.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Being on a budget either Google or visit local library and locate a manual for your chassis or a comparable truck.

Check out troubleshooting area so you can understand what yiu need to do.

Harbor freight has voltmeters cheap and sometimes free with purchase so find something else too.

If a "pro" changed starter already and it is doing exactly same thing then call them and insist they at least return under warranty to check it out again.

The replacement starter could be bad or he could have missed something.

Most all states require some sort of service warranty for service folks so first look at your paperwork from tge service to see if a warranty is tgere then so whomever dud the work and request they come out ASRP ...as soon as REASONABLE possible meaning you need it yesterday but can wait maybe a day or three to allow them to get you when passing by to avoid a special trip.
have manual, double checked with tech troubleshooting online... mechanically inclined (background in fords and jet engines...this is my 1st chevy...not feeling the “heartbeat” of America... presuming all READINGS are correct... volt/amps are good... as for starter itself.. called mech/svc yesterday - no one was available (2 year warranty) have to work today... so maybe they can come tomorrow... I’m used to really GOOD mechanics... from what I know about flywheels... he should have been able to see this when he removed/installed the starter... at least... I could have been informed and made a DECISION about where to TURN it off and be STUCK... LOL... now my issues are inconveniencing others... I like to fly below the radar... and not a fan of drama...ugh=
Old 06-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky1 View Post
SOUND... WHHHRRRsh NOT CATCHING... NO CLICKING... not usual now power noises... assuming mechanic installed starter properly... but also assume that IF he could have seen the issue with the flywheel he would have said something...and maybe when he got it started... it was the LAST START on the flywheel... all plugs and wires seem seated...and battery levels seem fine... aux start didn’t help saturday with the SAME wwhhhrrrsh noise... it isn’t the BREAK down so much as much as it is getting to work (rv has been transport due to RV site issues and other vehicle issue) and others are supposed to move into THIS spot and me into another... not sure of “size” issue... they must be larger than me...if they cannot get into another spot... thanks for checking in.. tag
From your description, it sounds like the starter motor is turning but that it isn't engaging the flywheel. I'd say that the solenoid or the linkage inside it is the culprit. The starter, and hopefully labor, is covered under the 2 year warranty. I'm not sure it would cover them coming out to you. You'll have to look at your paperwork or call them to find out.

Fwiw, if the setup is like on the 8.1 liter engine, r&r is fairly easy. If my memory is correct, dropping the starter involves disconnecting the battery, removing 2 wires from the solenoid, and then taking out the 2 mounting bolts.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #9

Good...less explaining...

Get where you can listen to starter and listen for the key - chunk of the actuator and any engagement of gears.

Granted GM starters have selenoid / actuator as single unit and bendix or drive gear should be in position as contactor makes connection but it could be possible that gear is not fixed to shaft due to bad bendix.

To test for flywheel try turning engine manually but before you do place a witness mark on crank dampener at front of engine so you can put it back in exact same spot to verify it is broken exactly there.

Usually you can turn via grabbing the belt and giving it a tug as you only need to turn it just a bit.

Remember to mark it FIRST and it needs to be a good scratch or sharpie mark maybe pull to oil pan or someplace with close alignment.

If you turn it and it works then put back and fail then flywheel shot but you then can get by by repeating process.

If turn and still not work repeat a few times to be sure but likely starter shot.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #10

What does the teeth on the flywheel look like?
The first thing I would do;

Remove spark plugs
Remove starter
SLOWLY rotate engine and inspect ALL teeth on that flywheel.
If the teeth on that flywheel are damaged the flywheel will need to be replaced.

I wish I was closer to give you a hand but I'm currently in New Hampshire.

DON'T get frustrated and throw in the towel just yet. Keep us posted on your progress. We are here to help!

I also suggest you get under that rig & inspect ALL wiring. Disconnect, inspect, reconnect. Check for bad ground connections. When these rigs start ageing the connections can sometimes go south!. The current 07 Discovery we own had MANY bad connections. I found a 12VDC ground block under a drawer that had loose (finger tight) connections. I found a 2ga ground cable from the dash loose!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #11

I suspect low amperage at the starter solenoid prevents the bendix from kicking the starter gear forward to engage the flywheel teeth. Look for a loose connection everywhere along the path of the positive cable. Wiggle each cable end to insure it is tight on the cable and there is no corrosion inside the cable end.
How old are your starter, battery, and ground cables? The do fail under load from internal corrosion and high temperature/ extended starter draw.

Then double-check your engine is well-grounded to the frame, even run a new ground cable from a starter bolt to the frame.
That's my brainstorm for tonight, hope it helps.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #12

so the current to push the starter drive to the flywheels is not a big number... just a couple of amps as the coil is very small one.. the key number is the starter draw when it attempts to turn the engine...

MCHERO in my point of view has hit the key issue... its not uncommon for bad starter engagement to damage the flywheel and know the teeth off... if this is an automatic.... the part is called a ring gear... if the vehicle has a stick its a mechanical flywheel with a ring gear that is shrunk to the flywheel....

In either case... his suggestion is the best bet.... here's a hint... most engines stop in almost the same place almost every time... no clue why that is... so the ring gear fails.... if you turn the engine 1/4 turn and you try this again and it starts the ring gear is the problem.... if you leave the key OFF, and its a automatic... you should be able to grab one of the belts or serpentine belt and pull the engine threw a 1/4 turn...

A good mechanic should be able to test this... repair this and if necessary SHIM the starter to improve the engagement of the starter/ring gear to make this repair last longer....

Good luck...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote