Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #1

Starts, runs then after 10-15 min quits

Hi All, back again after a long time way, MY RV has been sitting unused since Wife's mom passed a few years ago.
Anyway, charged up the batteries and used the fuel pump to pump all the fuel out to use to run the generator aftter the hurricane a few months ago and now have 5 gal of fresh fuel in it,
Hit the starter, it fires off, ran for 10-15 minutes and quits.
When Turn on the key I can hear the fuel pump at the tank run,
what can be causing that? It is an old ford big block with a 4 barrel carb.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just my 2 cents worth. I wonder if 5 gallons of gas in the fuel tank is adequate especially if it is not level? The other thought I have is when you used the fuel pump to empty the tank of gas you may have plugged the fuel filter.

My advice would be to replace the fuel filter, add an additive that would clean up the carburetor, and maybe 5 gallons more of gas. JMHO

When you get your problem solved please post your solution as we all learn from each other. That is what makes this site so valuable.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #3

not sure if your rig has 2 fuel pumps or not. On my parents coach it has 2 because of the length a low pressure pump in the fuel tank and another one on the frame rail which is high pressure. How is the oil pressure? you may have a bad sending unit or bad connection.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #4

If you are trying to just run your generator and like most RV fuel tank are larger than 20 Gal you need to have over 1/4 tank of fuel or your generator shutdown you may also need to clean the carb as well.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #5

Fill fuel tank to at least half full. Pick up for generator is a little higher in the tank so that you will have at least 1/4 tank to get you where you are going.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

Its an old Ford with a big block. Not a generator.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #7

Ok 460 get yourself a couple cans of Seafoam add to tank buy one can of seafoam in a spray remove intake start the motor spray spray into carb must gummed from setting to long
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
It should be at least a 40 gallon tank so 5 gallon isn't much considering width and length of tank. Try adding another 5 gl. and dump in some Seafoam as mentioned above.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Carburetor? What's a carburetor?
Seriously, carb cleaner in the gas tank might fix it. I think the float is sticking in the fuel bowl. Try tapping on the bowl while the engine is running to diagnose.
Jim18655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #10

Ok, started to troubleshoot the fuel system, first thing, I no longer hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key on, cannot find a fuse anywhere marked fuel pump, so I left the key on and went back and crawled under the RV and as I got near the pump I could hear it running faintly, I can feel it running, I checked online it is a holly red pump and should put out 7 PSI but I see a fuel pressure regulator on the engine itself, anyone have any idea what the pressure going to the carb should be? I have a test gauge but do not want to open any lines until I know what I am looking to see.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #11

A red pump puts out around 11 or 12 psi a blue is 14 psi that's why you see a regulator
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #12

I went to the Holley fuel pump web site and they said the red pumps put out 7 PSI and the blue pumps put out more, what I am wondering is what psi should the regulator knock that down to before it enters the carburetor? Mine is running but it does not seem to be running as fast as it used to run, I used to hear it run the minute I turned the key on.

It is just too cold for me to get out there and fool around with it right now, at my age the one thing I do not want to catch is a case of pneumonia.

On a related subject does any one know how to adjust the fuel level in a holley carb fuel bowls using those external adjusters on top of the bowls? It looks like a big slotted screw on top of lock nut.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #13

I hope this is not the case, but running the tank completely empty is just about the worst thing you can do to a pump and the injectors. Putting the 5 gal of fuel in the tank might be just enough to float all the moisture and debris it is carrying up to the level of the pick up and allow it to be drawn in to the system. Stuff that would not be there but for the empty tank which is the fastest way to allow moisture to accumulate inside the tank. Hopefully you just "ran out of gas" and I am an alarmist, be careful.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #14

A Holley red pump should put out 7 psi and should not need a reg. With a Holley carb. What happens when it dies? Does it start right back up? Does it start after cooling down? Before I get into how to adjust floats lets get a better idea where to look.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote