Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Steel braided valve stem extenders

I have a 2012 Allegro 35 qba. I have noticed that the rubber support holding the braided valve stem from the inside dully against the outside aluminum wheel is ripping away from the valve stem. It appears the valve stem is too long which causes the braided valve stem extension to flop around while driving, damaging and eventually destroying the rubber support. My neighbor also bought a 2012 class A Allegro and he is having the exact same problem. He just returned from a 2400 mile trip and found his valve stem rubber supports totally destroyed leaving the valve stem totally unsupported flopping around in the hole in the aluminum wheel. I will be calling the Tiffin Motor home company tomorrow to repot the problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #2

Don't have a Tiffin, but had much the same problem with an extension. Didn't catch it in time, leaked tire went flat inside dual, came off the rim.

That extension cost me a new 245 70 22.5 tire, about 450.00. No more extensions, I use a dual foot gauge to air up and check the tires now.

Happy Trails
Jim

Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree X3
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I had the same problem with a broken valve stem stabilizer on my Allegro 32CA. While I was at the Escapees Rally in Sedalia, Mo last month, I ran into a vendor who happened to have the part and replaced the defective one.

You can get replacements at shinyrv.com and the part number for the Ford 22.5" (made in Taiwan) wheel is DL175F. The price is $18 per pair.
luvlabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wanted those valve stems, and I had them installed. Inside left rear leaked where the braid crimped into the valve end. That ended up costing me $1000 for two new tires.

I now use the dual truckers gauge and air chuck end.

Many have never had a problem, but some of us have.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Don't have a Tiffin, but had much the same problem with an extension. Didn't catch it in time, leaked tire went flat inside dual, came off the rim.

That extension cost me a new 245 70 22.5 tire, about 450.00. No more extensions, I use a dual foot gauge to air up and check the tires now.

Happy Trails
Jim
Yep, extensions will leak, sooner or later. I had the same thing happen and after that went with Borg valve stems . A bit pricey, but not compared to teh cost of a tire. Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have the extenders on my 2003 Challenger. You need the bracket that is riveted to you wheel cover. I've had mine on for nine years with no problems. I can take a picture and send it to anyone who wants to see it. Can e-mail me at rfitta@ec.rr.com.

Bob
Capt. USMC (ret.) 1970-1996
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Yep, extensions will leak, sooner or later. I had the same thing happen and after that went with Borg valve stems . A bit pricey, but not compared to teh cost of a tire. Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
Borgs were the first thing I did after the purchase of my coach. I had an extender that was defective from the factory. Could not check air and could not get it off! For less than $200, I bought and had installed the Borgs on the coach. Best investment I think I have ever made.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I wanted those valve stems, and I had them installed. Inside left rear leaked where the braid crimped into the valve end. That ended up costing me $1000 for two new tires.

I now use the dual truckers gauge and air chuck end.

Many have never had a problem, but some of us have.
X2 Good plan..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH

So these extensions are solid rather than braided?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #11

Dually Valves The only way to fly........
Old 10-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2
Dually Valves The only way to fly........
Yeah but, I'm a new RVer and I have these braided extenders. I'm afraid of them..Are the ones shown in the link in this thread a few posts back simply solid? Is that their advantage?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had stainless braided extensions for 8 years with no leakage or problems at all. I am due to put new tires on next week and I am going go have the solid long valve stems installed instead.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Yeah but, I'm a new RVer and I have these braided extenders. I'm afraid of them..Are the ones shown in the link in this thread a few posts back simply solid? Is that their advantage?
Yes they are solid. My inside duel was 8" long supported by a rubber insert in the rim. The outside is a 135 degree solid. They have check-able caps so no need to uncap to check or add air.