Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #1

Steer safe

Has anyone had experience with a product called Steer Safe? It sounds good but I wonder if it is just masking other problems with the steering. If it works as well as advertised I think it would be worth it.
John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #2

I have the steer safe installed on my motorhome. Here's my results. Your results may differ.

Although I've read many posts where folks say it has really helped with a lot of different steering problems, I can't say that.

First of all, my unit steered/tracked pretty good before installing the steer safe. After installation, I did notice some improvement. It really helps with eliminating rut tracking where the tires try to follow ruts in the road. I think it helps slightly in resisting wind induced changes in the coach tracking.

The best improvement I got on steering/tracking was adjusting the slop out of the steering gear box, which I did several weeks after installing the steer safe. Of course, the steer safe could do nothing to compensate for the lost motion in the steering gear box.

Overall, I'm happy with the steer safe.

Fred

Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's well worth it. I had it on my previous rig and installed it on this one after the first outing.Very simple and very effective.
Go to their website----lots of good info and if you still have questions, call. They are a bunch of great folks
Just a suggestion, get a front end alignment first
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The money you spend on a steer safe system is going to be well spent and you will notice a big change in about 2 miles or less. Now you can look around at all the sights too without white knuckes. I love mine for sure.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
A "search" of this site will give several hours reading on this subject.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #6

I installed the stear safe on my old swinger (30 footer); never could see any difference;
Just my opinion.
Have since sold it and moved up.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jeidy, it would help us all to know what MH you have now. If you could add it below your signature at the bottom of your posts then we can give better advice.

As far as the Steer-Safe it would depend some on what problem you are trying to overcome. If it is just for safety during a front blowout then I think more would be gained by watching the Michelin Safety Video on how to handle your rig if you have a front tire go. That Steer-Safe is not going to help you mutch if you hit the brakes when a front tire goes. If the problem is steering wandering then a good front end alignment with as much positive caster as the specifications allow cranked in really helps. If the MH has just a lousy ride and wanders then maybe your shocks are gone. A lot of MHs where originally fitted with Monroe shocks which usually totally fail around 15k to 20k miles. If you have Bilsteins or Konis then it is not the shocks.

I put a Steer-Safe on my previous MH and never noticed a change in how it handled as far as crosswinds or wandering. Cranking in a couple more degrees of positive caster fixed most of my problems as well as installing Bilstein shocks.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #8

I had the Steer Safe on a 40' coach and liked how it sharpened up the handling. However, when I moved to a new coach, I tried the Tru Center from Blu Ox and really like how that performs.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Steer safe is nothing more than a couple of springs that try to force the steering to
stay on center.
get an alignment, and have em crank in some castor.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Steer safe is nothing more than a couple of springs that try to force the steering to
stay on center.
get an alignment, and have em crank in some castor.
Have you used one, Jim?