Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
I know what you're talking about; everybody has an opinion, depending on what they're selling or what they already bought. Mine was doing the semi-hootchie-kootchie, too. My dealer was no help ("they all do that. You need a $1000 steering damper") DriVer's thoughts (and Oemy's) made the most sense to me about the rear being the first piece to tackle, what with the enormous overhang. I talked with Jon Braziel, too; he sells all this stuff, so I figured he didn't have any particular axe to grind about what to buy first. Jon said the same thing; start with a rear track bar, that alone might do the trick. No pressure, just useful advice.

I ordered up his UltraTrac, currently on sale, relatively easy install (hint; air tools!) and I have to say, he was right! I might at some future time look at better shocks, but for now, that was time and money well spent and I feel no urgent need to do anything else. I don't seem to have a rut tracking problem so a front track bar won't make a huge difference, and I think steering dampers, steer safe, etc are like putting a bandaid on a brain tumor; they don't fix the real problem. With the track bar, I don't have any problem going in a straight line (even hands-off) and there's plenty of assist in the power steering to manage a blowout, so that boogyman is dead, too.

Do the rear track bar. Compared to what you've already spent, it's a fart in a windstorm.

2003 Fleetwood Southwind
Still employed, sort of, and counting down........
SAMCUDNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
Steering issues,

Thanks, Sam, for your feedback and recommendations on tracking and steering issues on motorhomes. I do not seem to have a rut tracking problem either, mainly a rear sway due to the rear overhang. The general consensus seems to be, as you have recommended, is to start with the rear track bar. I also talked to Jon at Brazels who was very helpful without being "pushy" with his recommendation to start with the rear track bar.

Randy K., Montgomery, Al.

MajesticRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
Thanks. You nailed it.
krf9113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where is info on rear track bar? Brands, type, where to buy. Workhorse W-22, 2004.
Sunny South Carolina
2004 Pace Arrow 37-C WH W-22
Pete & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
Blue Ox Tiger Track, Brazel's Ultra Trac (now on sale for $429), to name 2. Can't speak for the others, but the Brazel's was a fairly easy bolt on, albeit with some pretty hefty torque values. Air tools help a lot; maybe an hour install all together, if you read and follow the directions. Longer if you don't--the bar itself is asymetrical and has to go on the right way (the way it's pictured) or things don't fit. Don't ask how I know that.
2003 Fleetwood Southwind
Still employed, sort of, and counting down........
SAMCUDNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by MajesticRV View Post
Anyone had any experience with Davis Tru Trac Bar or Steer Safe. I have a 1999 Four Winds Majestic M30Q motorhome on a F53 Ford Chassis, V-10 motor? Would like a little better tracking of the MH on the road. Do these really work and which might be best to use? First Class A motorhome.
I installed a Steer Safe 1 year ago and wow what a difference. I noticed the difference within 2 mile of the resort where it was installed in about 20 minutes. I was skeptical but not now. The best money I spent, and now I can look at the views also as I drive my coach. I know the Ford chassis has a different way of steering but the Steer Safe will fix alot of the problem.

starvin is offline   Reply With Quote