Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Steer tire balancing or not

I am getting two new steer tires (Toyo M144) to replace the Goodyear 670's that are rivering on my 38' Beaver.

The question that comes up is how or if to balance? Some say yes bead balance others have said it is not necessary to balance the steer tires.

What do the tire experts say?

Thanks
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I get good results with bead balancing! Don't see any reason to do anything else!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have them balanced--I don't think it really matters what type of balancing you choose as much as it matters that you get it done.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #4

A friend had all his tires replaced recently. The tire place used bead balancing. Next month the friend has an appointment to have all of his tires unmounted, the beads removed, and rebalanced. He has had continual problems with the beads sticking in the valve stems and not letting his TPMS sensors read properly.
I do not know if others have had that issue. I do know that when it comes time for me to get new tires it won't be with beads.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's one issue. They don't make a tire that does not need balanced to some degree. Combine that with the slight differences in the assembly each tire/rim is mounted to and if not balanced one is asking for problems.

Even if you have tires not balanced and mounted the smaller vibrations you will not feel but the chassis will and it will eventually take it's toll. Why risk it??? With that kind of an investment is it worth the chance???

I'm sold on Centramatic balancers. Yes an extra expense that will last for a million miles. Yes they do work. They are used by many truckers as well.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
A friend had all his tires replaced recently. The tire place used bead balancing. Next month the friend has an appointment to have all of his tires unmounted, the beads removed, and rebalanced. He has had continual problems with the beads sticking in the valve stems and not letting his TPMS sensors read properly.
I do not know if others have had that issue. I do know that when it comes time for me to get new tires it won't be with beads.
The garage that did the bead balancing SHOULD have installed the correct valve stems that have a screen in them to block the beads from coming out and SHOULD have placed a YELLOW band on the tire valve it indicate the tires have beads in them.

I have had beads for years and they do a very good job and adjust the balance as the tires wear.

I have a TPS without any issues.
OLD1SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I recently had all eight of my tires replaced with Yokohama 104 ZRs and had all eight spin balanced.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post

I thought all the beads were too large to clog valve stems! I wonder if he had something else like the powder or sand?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone, bead balancing it is.
I was in a discussion with Les Schwab trying to get them to price match "Simple Tire" on-line price to no avail. I am a real supporter of Les Schwab Tire as they have always treated me real well, great service, with my cars and trucks. They do not mount tires that are not bought from them so Simple Tire doesn't work for me. The bead balancing question came from that discussion.

Dennis, I think you said have the Toyo steer tires to good results so that's what I am doing too.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Steve
Old 05-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I 've always had the steer tires balanced and ignored the rest. This time (last Sept) I had all 8 tires spun balanced using weights Frankly I didn't notice any difference with all balanced than just the fronts balanced.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I thought all the beads were too large to clog valve stems! I wonder if he had something else like the powder or sand?
It depends on the brand of the balancing beads used, some are smaller than others.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Here's one issue. They don't make a tire that does not need balanced to some degree. Combine that with the slight differences in the assembly each tire/rim is mounted to and if not balanced one is asking for problems.

Even if you have tires not balanced and mounted the smaller vibrations you will not feel but the chassis will and it will eventually take it's toll. Why risk it??? With that kind of an investment is it worth the chance???

I'm sold on Centramatic balancers. Yes an extra expense that will last for a million miles. Yes they do work. They are used by many truckers as well.
I agree, I had Centramtics installed on all six wheels with my new Michelins over three years ago and found a very noticeable difference between the old and new Michelins.
Smoooth as a baby's bottom.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just did the G670 Goodyears to the Toyo's. On the front 34' Holiday Rambler. The Goodyears had the beads and Toyo's were spin balanced. I'm going to Les Schwab and have the beads put back in.
I have about 5K on Toyo's.
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #14

I balance all the wheels, including the drives. Figure over the 7 years or so of usage, it amortizes out to a very small extra in the scheme of things!

I also have Centramatics on all axle positions.

I won't repeat my full story here. But Parkhouse Tire Manager, I and my wife went for a ride after only balancing the steers. We left the Centramatics off for the first ride. Went to (This factual, though I admit very, very hard to believe!) smooth newly resurfaced section of highway we knew. We placed a good size of tupperware half full of water on the tile floor of the bathroom, directly over the drive axle (We have Tags too.). As I drove, the wife ant Tire Manager watched the water bounce around considerably.

Back to Parkhouse. Wheels removed, and balanced. Drives and Tags. Back into coach, and repeat the same section of highway. Much less vibration shaking of the water.

Back to Parkhose, wheels removed, Centramatics added to Drive and Tag's. Back into coach, and repeat the same section of highway again. Almost completely calm water in the Tuperware.

Made a believer of the virtues of balancing Drives (They very seldom recommended this for RV's, let alone large trucks.). And the Tiremanager made contact with Centramatics about what it would take to add them as a reseller. (Do not know if they are doing so or not. As I have not been back to that specific shop. It was where Holland Motors of San Diego sent me with the credit we had from the owner selling the coach on consignment. A fine tire shop, but I have long term relationships with TCI out in the Lakeside, CA area.

Will it make the same difference for everyone? No. As some tire/wheel combinations are more out of weight then others.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote