Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #1

Steering

We purchased a 2013 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 36PFT. To date we have put 6500 miles on it. My question is to all, how much play do you have in the steering wheel when driving? I can turn the wheel back and forth at least one inch before it starts moving the wheels the other way. On grooved roads, windy days, uneven black top it gets to be a work out. The Monaco service rep tell me that is normal and he actually said your allowed and inch steering wheel movement.
Thanks
Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

When my DP was new I kept taking it back to Winnie and then to Freightliner because of too much play in the steering and "road wander". Driving it was a two handed experience. The shops kept telling me it was normal.

I took it to Henderson's Line Up in Oregon and they adjusted a good bit of slop out of the steering gear, added a steering stabilizer and motion control units and I went from needing two hands to only needing two fingers to drive it.

I think the bottom line is that "normal" is when you feel comfortable and in control behind the wheel. I'd find a good specialty shop to take a look at it.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

I would hope none.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #4

Easy adjustment
follow the steering down to the knuckle joint and there should be a nut to loosen and then you adjust it tighter and tighten the nut up
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DWMOONEY,
RickO's post is what I suggest. The bottom line is you need a service enter that is interested in solving the problem. The service center should check out the chassis parts to ensure everything is in good working order. Then recommend an aftermarket product or two that will help you coach. When I got my coach (new) it drove like a dog hunting rabbits. After going through the "it's normal" from the dealer and manufacturer I got:
1. rear anti sway bar
2. MCU for each air bag
3. steering stabilizer
4. Koni shocks

For the last 6 years, the coach has driven perfectly.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
2013 ambassador 36 ft

I also have the same coach. Had 1&1/2 to 2 inches of play when i got it home. Finally got them to replace steering gear but still has 1/2 to 3/4 inch of play . should not be any!! Not sure of next move but still not satisfied. They have a real problem with their non adjustable steering gears.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dan.....You may or may not have a steering issue. It sounds like this may be your first DP since you're asking this question. There are a couple of things that can affect your steering. First, you have a very short coach for a DP, the same length as mine. Your wheelbase is as short as a 32' gasser. This will cause you to do more steering than someone with a 40+ foot coach. It's a short little box going down the road.

Second, I don't know what you had before, but I often tell people when they're new to driving a DP is to steer farther down the road. This means, pick a spot, with your eyes, farther down the road. Often people try to stay exactly on track and are constantly turning left/right to track a straight line. This will wear you out and drive you crazy. By looking/steering to a spot farther down the road, you don't make as many corrections and the drive becomes easier.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #8

Steering

I wanted to thank everyone for their input and I will look into each one. My wife and I love the coach and the life style.
Thanks Again
Old 09-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
When my DP was new I kept taking it back to Winnie and then to Freightliner because of too much play in the steering and "road wander". Driving it was a two handed experience. The shops kept telling me it was normal.

I took it to Henderson's Line Up in Oregon and they adjusted a good bit of slop out of the steering gear, added a steering stabilizer and motion control units and I went from needing two hands to only needing two fingers to drive it.

I think the bottom line is that "normal" is when you feel comfortable and in control behind the wheel. I'd find a good specialty shop to take a look at it.

Good luck.

Rick
Hendersons in Oregon, Ive heard nothing but good stuff all over the web about them. They have a reputation of getting the job done and getting done right the first time. I'll have to keep them in mind when I'm ready for an alignment or having Wander issues.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Please do your self a favor, enlist the help of John Henderson of Henderson's Driveline, check the web site out, he added MCD devices for each air bag, takes the dip in cornering out and improves steering. Next add four Koni's (shocks) he will advise which set, last but not least add his steering bell crank. You will be amazed as your coach will drive correctly. It works.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
My 40' DP has absolutely no play in the steering wheel. ANY play is a bad thing, IMHO, and is unusual and needs to be fixed.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Please do your self a favor, enlist the help of John Henderson of Henderson's Driveline, check the web site out, he added MCD devices for each air bag, takes the dip in cornering out and improves steering. Next add four Koni's (shocks) he will advise which set, last but not least add his steering bell crank. You will be amazed as your coach will drive correctly. It works.
John is the one I worked with and he's great.

Henderson's also offers a "Road Assessment Test" service which I used. You tell them what you think you're feeling when driving that makes you uncomfortable and then they drive your rig with you in the passenger seat.

They then do a written assessment of what they found and a prioritized list of actions you can take to improve the handling.

I think there is about a $125 charge for this but as I recall, they take that off of any work you have them do to improve handling.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #13

Steering

Thank you all, I am convinced, I need to get Hendersons help. Will do ASAP.
Dan
Old 09-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
In Southern Calif. Redlands RV service does the same things and it worked for us, not inexpensive but no more white knuckles driving.

Tags
steering