Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

steering correction

I have a 2008 Monica Neptune when driving down the road around 60 to 65 miles a hour it seems like i am always correcting the steering. The front tire pressures are 105 psi and the back are 95psi. The front tires are wearing evenly. I was thinking maybe the steering box needs tighting or maybe a alinement. Does anybody now what the problem could be.

Thanks Raymondo

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo View Post
I have a 2008 Monica Neptune when driving down the road around 60 to 65 miles a hour it seems like i am always correcting the steering. The front tire pressures are 105 psi and the back are 95psi. The front tires are wearing evenly. I was thinking maybe the steering box needs tighting or maybe a alinement. Does anybody now what the problem could be.

Thanks Raymondo
Lots of things could be in play The first thing you need to do is get your rig weighed on all four corners. Then get the inflation chart from your tire brand and set your psi accordingly There is no one size fits all as we learned very quickly Tire dealer set us at 110 all the way around and the coach drove and rode horrible.. Once we got to Henderson Lineup in Oregon and were weighed we lowered the fronts down to 95. Our backs ride at 110

Ours also need the steering box adjusted. We added a steering stabilizer as well but the icing on the cake was changing out our shocks to Bilsteins.
Initially I never drove over 62, usually holding it at 55. Now I have to set the cruise to keep it there or I find myself rolling at 70. Ron freaks out when that happens...

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Go to the Monaco forums below and find "Steering box play - Sheppard M100 shim or swap for a TRW?" After reading the 1038 entries you shouldn't have additional questions on this subject...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
AS Hal said go the Owners forums / Monaco
Monaco Technical Information

Wandering, sway bars, alignment, ride height, oh my!!

Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ?
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #5

The bell crank probably has too much play in it. this happens because the original has had a lot use and the original the manufacturer installed was not the best. There are after market, high end bell cranks that will take all the steering play out.

try this link. SuperSteer Bell Crank - Freightliner XC Magnum RV Chassis
Old 11-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #6

Usually these chassis are designed for a long life, something like a million miles. How many miles on your MH? If you have less than 100,000 miles I doubt mechanical parts are worn out, if it has been properly maintained.
For me, if I watch the road right in front of the MH, I'm constantly correcting the steering/sawing on the steering wheel. If I look at least a couple blocks ahead when driving on interstates, the steering wheel stays steady for the most part, and I'm not constantly making adjustments.
Then again, your front tire alignment/toe-in may be out of specs., have you had it aligned recently? Tires will still wear evenly if other adjustments are correct, but the MH will wander or suddenly veer, depending on amount our of adjustment. How long since you've had it re-aligned or checked?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering