Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #43

35ft road master chassis: I installed a safe T steering Damper and found it to not be as good as advertised. The garage that installed it could not center it, I spent hours making minute adjustments to the clamp on and test driving the unit and never could get it right. I took it off and installed safe steer instead as I had had them on my previous motor homes prior to upgrading to a diesel pusher. I installed them myself and had the steering dialed in in 3 adjustments. you will need to provide your front axle type info (there is a tag on the axle) to get the correct one for your coach

I was very disappointed with safe T, sold it on Craig's list at a loss

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyle908 View Post
35ft road master chassis: I installed a safe T steering Damper and found it to not be as good as advertised. The garage that installed it could not center it, I spent hours making minute adjustments to the clamp on and test driving the unit and never could get it right. I took it off and installed safe steer instead as I had had them on my previous motor homes prior to upgrading to a diesel pusher. I installed them myself and had the steering dialed in in 3 adjustments. you will need to provide your front axle type info (there is a tag on the axle) to get the correct one for your coach

I was very disappointed with safe T, sold it on Craig's list at a loss

Mike
Glad I went with the TruCenter. Having to pull over to adjust it would drive me nuts.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
The coach doesn't have a dead pedal so I ended up making a bracket that will mount to the floor and firewall. Had to powder coat it for durability since it will be stepped on.

Great job! That should serve you well.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lots of good info here, and after our last trip of strong gusty winds I ordered the Tru center. Looks easy to install.
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #47

Years ago, I added a Steer-Safe to a 93 Adventurer. It was a slight improvement and made it a little easier to handle, but no side wind help. Later, I installed the "Howard Steering System" on a 96 Discovery. It cost close to $3000 installed. It was the best steering assist I ever had. With it's own hydraulic pump, it would hold the wheel in any cross wind and changing road conditions had no effect on it. They are now out of business. I added True-Center to our 03 Phaeton and also to our 2011. It is the closest unit to the Howard on the market. I would not own a solid front axle coach without one. Until you have driven one, you can't know the improvement. Our current coach has IFS and does not need any assist or I would have one on it.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #48

TruCenter Done

Hardest part was crawling under the dash to look for a 12v source. Glad I bought a Craftsman 580 lbs impact wrench to get the u-bolts out. Will be leaving this Thursday to go down to FL and will report if there is any improvement.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
That's a nice installation Al. Look forward to your report on performance.

Happy travels,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 06-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
That's a nice installation Al. Look forward to your report on performance.

Happy travels,
Rick Y
Thank you. We are leaving tomorrow FL bound. We'll see how it drives over to KY. Ft Wilderness, here we come.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you. We are leaving tomorrow FL bound. We'll see how it drives over to KY. Ft Wilderness, here we come.
We'll compare notes. A gasser vs a dp. Should be interesting. Have a great trip, hassle free I hope.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #52

Here is my report on the TruCenter.

First impressions were that it now felt like it had more positive caster. After a turn, the wheel goes back to center quickly. It now takes a little more force to turn the wheel and it's more noticeable at highway speeds while on gradual turns. I thought it was odd at first, but after ~200 miles I totally forgot about it.

First leg of our trip there wasn't much to say since there was absolutely no wind.

During the second leg we hit some heavy gusts with rain, etc. This is were I noticed the biggest difference. Without it, while correcting due to a gust, you would pull the steering one way and then the other way to get it back to going straight. Now, you correct for the gust and if you let it go, it will go back to going straight. Much, much easier and pleasant to drive.

I'd have to say that I wouldn't leave home without it.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Here is my report on the TruCenter.

First impressions were that it now felt like it had more positive caster. After a turn, the wheel goes back to center quickly. It now takes a little more force to turn the wheel and it's more noticeable at highway speeds while on gradual turns. I thought it was odd at first, but after ~200 miles I totally forgot about it.

First leg of our trip there wasn't much to say since there was absolutely no wind.

During the second leg we hit some heavy gusts with rain, etc. This is were I noticed the biggest difference. Without it, while correcting due to a gust, you would pull the steering one way and then the other way to get it back to going straight. Now, you correct for the gust and if you let it go, it will go back to going straight. Much, much easier and pleasant to drive.

I'd have to say that I wouldn't leave home without it.

Sounds like you like it. Mine is at my dealer, and ready for me to install when I have a bit more free time.

My main reason for getting one is for the cross winds and the gusts.

Did you have to reset it often for different wind strengths?
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjay View Post
Sounds like you like it. Mine is at my dealer, and ready for me to install when I have a bit more free time.

My main reason for getting one is for the cross winds and the gusts.

Did you have to reset it often for different wind strengths?
Once I found the center point I left it alone. For gusts you don't want to reset the center point since they are a temporary thing. However, there was a long stretch were I had a constant pull from winds on one side and I hit the button. It made it seem like the pull was no longer there. After the constant winds were gone, I reset it back to normal.

I have to admit that it gets some getting used to, but totally worth it. I almost went with the Safe T Plus to save money, but now I'm glad I didn't. Technically, they both do the same thing and I guess having to hold the steering wheel on constant winds is no big deal. I think the difference is similar to having to keep your foot on the gas pedal to keep a constant speed vs. having cruise control. Having the "center of the fly" is a luxury. For me, the extra cost was well worth it.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
My turn to report on the TruCenter. This sums it up.

We are in Utah today. We left Prescott, AZ this morning on our first test of the TruCenter. Just south of Page, AZ we were hit with a heavy burst of wind that shook the coach like a toy. I had no trouble keeping control and staying within my lane.

I agree with al2ride about the first impression. Turning seemed a bit harder but became unnoticeable when I became used to it. We had heavy cross most of the trip and the direction would change without warning. The TruCenter could be readjusted by a tap of my foot on the switch. I felt the pull go away and ease of steering return at each adjustment. I didn't realize how strong the wind was until I stopped to check the tie downs of the car. The door was almost ripped out of my hand! Couldn't feel this on the wheel. I am tired now, at the end of a 360+ mile day, but not near as bad as I would have felt without this steering aid.

all the way. Easy to install and use. (I just wish the price would come down for those who can't find a "deal" like I did.) I think it would be a good feature to have as standard equipment from the factory. (Are you Listing Winnebago?)

I now have an issue related to the steering wheel. For some reason it is not horizontal when steering straight. I need to correct this at the end of this trip.

Rick Y
Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
OK ... jerichorick and al2ride! You've sold me! I just ordered my TruCenter! \ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, steering