Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
My turn to report on the TruCenter. This sums it up.

We are in Utah today. We left Prescott, AZ this morning on our first test of the TruCenter. Just south of Page, AZ we were hit with a heavy burst of wind that shook the coach like a toy. I had no trouble keeping control and staying within my lane.

I agree with al2ride about the first impression. Turning seemed a bit harder but became unnoticeable when I became used to it. We had heavy cross most of the trip and the direction would change without warning. The TruCenter could be readjusted by a tap of my foot on the switch. I felt the pull go away and ease of steering return at each adjustment. I didn't realize how strong the wind was until I stopped to check the tie downs of the car. The door was almost ripped out of my hand! Couldn't feel this on the wheel. I am tired now, at the end of a 360+ mile day, but not near as bad as I would have felt without this steering aid.

all the way. Easy to install and use. (I just wish the price would come down for those who can't find a "deal" like I did.) I think it would be a good feature to have as standard equipment from the factory. (Are you Listing Winnebago?)

I now have an issue related to the steering wheel. For some reason it is not horizontal when steering straight. I need to correct this at the end of this trip.

Rick Y
Good to hear Rick. During one of the legs where the winds were buffeting the coach, I press the button and it became apparent that the stabilizer was a big help.

I developed an intermittent subtle crack that appears to be coming from suspension while driving at slow speed as the coach rocks. Kind of sounds like rusty leaf springs. I'm going to retorque everything when we get to FL.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
OK ... jerichorick and al2ride! You've sold me! I just ordered my TruCenter! \ken
Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
OK ... jerichorick and al2ride! You've sold me! I just ordered my TruCenter! \ken
I hope Blue Ox appreciates this free advertizing and gives you a price break.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:52 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Good to hear Rick. During one of the legs where the winds were buffeting the coach, I press the button and it became apparent that the stabilizer was a big help.

I developed an intermittent subtle crack that appears to be coming from suspension while driving at slow speed as the coach rocks. Kind of sounds like rusty leaf springs. I'm going to retorque everything when we get to FL.
Or, maybe, it is rusty leaf springs?

I have been using CRC Power Lube with PTFE (Teflon) on just about anything that moves on my coach. Never thought to try it on suspension parts. I doubt it would hurt bushings and springs. You might consider this stuff. Drives out water and breaks rust to boot!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #61

Quote:
I hope Blue Ox appreciates this free advertizing and gives you a price break.
Are you listening Blue Ox? Sooner or later I'm going to need one of your towbars and baseplates!

I call it how it is. If it was junk, like my TST TPMS, I make sure the word gets out.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #62

Quote:
Or, maybe, it is rusty leaf springs?

I have been using CRC Power Lube with PTFE (Teflon) on just about anything that moves on my coach. Never thought to try it on suspension parts. I doubt it would hurt bushings and springs. You might consider this stuff. Drives out water and breaks rust to boot!
Could be. I need to get under and look. The only thing that has changed is the added plate to the leaf spring ubolts. I torqued the two nuts to 260 lbs. The TruCenter installation instructions did not have the torque value for them. I ended up finding it on the internet...and you know if it's on internet it's ture.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
We were on I-84 in Idaho today and hit some road that had a very weird slope in the passing lain that the TruCenter did not help with. Well, I could feel some adverse pulling but, all things considered, I am glad I had it. I would probably have Hulk biceps now if I didn't have whatever the TruCenter contributed.

The total trip today was from Snowville, UT, up I-15 to I-84 west for a total of around 400 miles. As you can imagine we encountered a variety of road conditions. Overall I am still pleased with this device. Yesterday we had a blowout on the tow dolly. Never felt it on the wheel. The sound telegraphed through the chassis and I responded to that dreaded sound of a door slamming. Not a good sound a 65 mph.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #64

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Installed both sway and trac bars myself

We have a 39 ft on a 24,000 lb chassis. Its max actual weight is about 23,000 so its pushing the limits. And it gas so just old fashion springs, no upscale air bags.

The handling was so bad new it "felt" dangerous. Side to side roll on turns and wind effects was bad. Bounced quite a bit even though it had the "great" Bilstein shocks on it (I believe aftermarket Bilsteins must be better than factory ones as too many people like them). And wind pushed me around a lot that required steering wheel attention to keep it in the lane.

First: Installed hydraulic Koni FSD shocks. This was shocking improvement, but no help with wind or tracking. But felt much better control as it just "moved" around less. Less roll on turns, less "mushy".

Second: Installed front trac bar. This was easy and made giant improvement is steering control. Feel like I fixed the problem. I considered safety steer units but after the trac it just wasn't needed. And much less cost.

Lastly: Installed a rear trac bar and a rear sway bar. The trac bar took maybe 2 hours to install myself. The rear sway bar took at least 8 hours myself - perhaps just due to my particular coach. Others may be easier. Be SURE you have a great, strong air impact to do the sway bar. Not necessary for trac bars. Be patient. Be very safe under there. And check for gas / electrical lines BEFORE you drill.

Overall: Improvement is surprising. Went from "dangerous" to "comfortable". We drove on a very windy day over the bridge at the Mississippi at Memphis and if you've done that you know it feels like your a mile up in the air. Did just fine.

Good luck
Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Bad news: <SIGH> My TruCenter arrived last week and it was pretty easy to determine that there was no way it would work on my motorhome. Turns out they can't fit one to my coach if it has the independent front suspension option. <SIGH>

I gotta tell you, though, the Blue Ox Customer Support Team was eager to help and even went out of their way to consult with their engineers to see if there could be a custom application designed for me. Alas, not. But I do appreciate the help.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 AM   #66

Quote:
Bad news: <SIGH> My TruCenter arrived last week and it was pretty easy to determine that there was no way it would work on my motorhome. Turns out they can't fit one to my coach if it has the independent front suspension option. <SIGH>

I gotta tell you, though, the Blue Ox Customer Support Team was eager to help and even went out of their way to consult with their engineers to see if there could be a custom application designed for me. Alas, not. But I do appreciate the help.

\ken
Sorry to hear that. Have you considered something like the Steer Safe?
Old 07-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Sorry to hear that. Have you considered something like the Steer Safe?
Sorry it didn't work out for you, Ken. The IFS is a problem to be certain. I am not certain if SteerSafe will work on it.

I had a front right tire blow on my '05 Vectra with IFS. Had no trouble controlling it to a safe stop. But the cross wind problem was a notable nuisance for all the years I had the coach. I hope you can find a product to fit your rig and as good as the TruCenter. Keep us posted. I am glad to hear that Blue-Ox was so willing to help.

Rick Y
Old 07-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #68
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"NettieRegina"......at first glance, I would say that you are running your tires with too much air. You have a small light coach with 22.5 tires and they shouldn't require that much air to meet the weight per tire. My 36' Diplomat only took 105 psi in the front and my 40' Dutch Star only takes 110 psi. I know tires are different, but I suspect that you're running at least 10 psi too much in your tires. Your ride and handling will deteriorate substantially if you're running that much over on air pressure.

Your coach is also very short and will want to wander. It just doesn't have a long enough wheelbase. Sometimes the alignment has to be "toed in" a little to keep it tracking straight.

I added the Safe -T- Plus to my Diplomat and hated it. It required more steering input and really didn't do anything. It's human nature for people who spend a lot of money on a product to give it a good review. I sold it for half of what I paid and went with the TruCenter.

The TruCenter was a great product. It won't necessarily correct your wandering, but it's great if you USE your RV a lot and drive in windy areas. We live in Southern California and almost any direction that we head out of town takes us through the desert with lots of wind. It also corrects for road crown.

Winds and road crown can change frequently, but after a few miles of driving with the TruCenter, it becomes second nature to push the switch and make a correction. I didn't like the archaic, huge, old style push button that came with the TruCenter and just bout a momentary switch that matched my other dash switches and used that for controlling the unit. I never thought about using the push button supplied as a foot switch, but for me, that wouldn't be my first choice. I mounted my momentary switch in a position that I could reach and operate it without looking.

The TruCenter is in principal similar to the Newmar Comfort Drive. The object of both is to correct for wind and road crown. The big difference is the Comfort Drive does it automatically and lets you adjust steering resistance.

Lastly, the TruCenter is an expensive upgrade that you will love, but won't necessarily resolve your issue. I would look elsewhere for solutions, but if you have the extra cash, the TruCenter is nice.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #69

Hi all

Can anyone advise this rookie RV person what a CHF is. I'm sorry if I'm not in the right area but I'm still trying to figure out this website... Thank you
Oraton8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #70

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oraton8,
The CHF is for the Ford F53 chassis 1999 and later only. It is an easy modification to the sway bar links that is free if you do it yourself and improves the control of sway. If you have a couple of days your not doing anything with you can read about it here.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, steering