Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #71

Just installed true center steering stabilizer from blue ox on my 40 ft class A toy hauler. All I can say is it's unbelievable worth every penny. It adjusts on the fly with the push of a button. I used to have white knuckles whenever a truck would pass me or even keeping my Rig Stright going down the highway. I just completed 1000 miles with the new stabilizer and I can now drive my rig with two fingers. Easily installable by yourself if you have an impact wrench, and a little bit of know-how. Any questions feel free to hit me up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drd6315 View Post
Just installed true center steering stabilizer from blue ox on my 40 ft class A toy hauler. All I can say is it's unbelievable worth every penny. It adjusts on the fly with the push of a button. I used to have white knuckles whenever a truck would pass me or even keeping my Rig Stright going down the highway. I just completed 1000 miles with the new stabilizer and I can now drive my rig with two fingers. Easily installable by yourself if you have an impact wrench, and a little bit of know-how. Any questions feel free to hit me up.

I did the install with a friend and a long pipe on a breaker bar. A great investment as "safety equipment". The TruCenter certainly reduces fatigue and helps in controlling the rig in adverse road conditions. Don't you just love the neutralized crosswind pull! Welcome to the club of happy users.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just took delivery on Tru Center, bought used for 435, 2years old, has on/off switch, was going to put a momentary contact switch on it, I've was told the on/off switch causes solenoid to burn out. Installing next week for trip at end of month, Colorado to Florida usually plenty of wind to test it on. Also new shocks & comfort control valves on air bags. Sounds like install is fairly simple. Looking forward to the improvements.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #74

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blue ox recommends to not activate the solenoid more then 5-10 seconds at a time. If you didn't get the manual with it you can download from this link Blue Ox - TruCenter there's also a video on the installation. I've read where some members have installed a button on the floor to activate the TruCenter with their foot.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:58 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
I too purchased the Blue Ox True center in case of a blowout. That being said it is an amazing upgrade. It works fantastic whenever there is a banked road, strong side wind, etc. Just hit the button for a brief second and the steering tracks straight as an arrow. Once the button is pushed I can take my hand off of the steering wheel for a surprising distance with the coach tracking perfectly straight.

Stuart.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #76

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive my Class A RV approx 5-10K miles a year not including my pick-up and Harley. I added to my Rv which is 37 ft RV with 13'4" clearance, the Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, Rear Trac Bar, Super Steer Rear Anti-Sway Bar, RoadMaster Front Anti-Sway Bar (All Life Time Warrantee) and Total Vision RV Camera System (6 cameras) Total Vision Products: and an AM Solar System AM Solar's Educational Pages for RV Solar Systems.
I now drive primarily stress free [allowing for family and significant other] with little to no concern of white knuckless, winds, turns, big rigs, or observing merging and passing vehicles by adding these options.
I expect manufactures choose not install them as standard equipment on most RVs because the majority of RV owners are weekend warriors who only drive their RV's maybe 1-2K miles a year and would find the added expense discouraging and considered unwanted or needed luxuries. Just like radios and air conditioning were in cars many decades ago.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #77

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just ran into this thread while I was surfing through the forum. FWIW, I discovered my 2001 HR Scepter has a Sheppard steering gear in it which not adjustable. I have close to 4" of free play on my steering wheel which gives the front tires all kinds of mobility left and right. Driving through concrete barriers at construction zones are very stressful not to mention cross winds with gusts, pavement grooves, pavement seams along the edge and anything else that causes steering tires to grab and wander without warning. I now have my rig in to change out the Sheppard to a TRW adjustable. There is a quite lengthy thread on the forum talking about it in the Monaco forum. I would imagine this issue is not limited to just Monaco. BTW, when I had it lined up last year I got the report that ALL steering components and bushings were tight. I don't think they check for slop in the gear box.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 10-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmacs View Post
Just took delivery on Tru Center, bought used for 435, 2years old, has on/off switch, was going to put a momentary contact switch on it, I've was told the on/off switch causes solenoid to burn out. Installing next week for trip at end of month, Colorado to Florida usually plenty of wind to test it on. Also new shocks & comfort control valves on air bags. Sounds like install is fairly simple. Looking forward to the improvements.
The install is not hard. A impact wrench or a long breaker bar is required. A second pair of hands helps too. I used the momentary contact foot switch on my install. You can get these at the local auto parts dealer or from the web. The system works great but I mounted the switch a little too far to the left.

I believe the newer systems have a built in overload timer to prevent the relay failure. But, just a short duration of the switch is all that is needed. You should be happy with your investment. Just remember that it only assists for the conditions you are in when you set it. Some folks just don't understand that. Resetting as you travel is not unusual as the road surface changes or the wind direction. You will notice that steering is a bit stiffer when turning and parking but not adversely so.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 10-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Motorhome actually handles okay now. just looking for a little improvement in severe wind conditions. Couple times a year we travel east Florida / New York and wind seems always present at one time or another. So I assume you just set it under normal conditions and readjust for changing conditions.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmacs View Post
Motorhome actually handles okay now. just looking for a little improvement in severe wind conditions. Couple times a year we travel east Florida / New York and wind seems always present at one time or another. So I assume you just set it under normal conditions and readjust for changing conditions.

Sevenmacs,

If may suggest, call Brazels in Centrailia WA. Those guys are impressive in their knowledge of MH issues and how to fix them. While I was there I could not believe the number of MHs there from all over the U.S. from CA to FL to have them work on their rig. Blew my hair back. They are also sponsor of IRV2.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 10-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did speak to them they recommended and I installed comfort control valves on my airbags.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #82
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not a big fan of the steering stabilizers. I previously owned a 2005 Monaco Diplomat. It handled well, but I thought I would try the Safe-T-Plus. I wasn't impressed. It actually took more steering input to turn the wheel. I think they're more gimmicky than anything else. Not to offend anyone, but a lot of people, after spending $500.00 on a steering stabilizer are not going to give it a bad review. Another poster with a similar Monaco, felt the same as I did and removed his. I sold mine for $300.00.

I stilled wanted something and tried the TruCenter. It worked great. We live in Southern California and most directions of travel take us through a windy desert. I installed the TruCenter (which uses the same mounting bracket as a Safe-T-Plus) just before we took a coast to coast trip.

As one poster stated, it doesn't adjust automatically, you need to sometimes adjust every few minutes under certain conditions. Even though this sounds like a pain, it becomes second nature.

It should only be connected to a momentary switch. I bought a switch that matched the rockers on the small dash next to my left leg. I made sure it was within a comfortable distance so I could reach it without looking.

Re: Comfort Drive. The TruCenter is similar to Comfort Drive in that it corrects for wind or road crown. The difference is that Comfort Drive does it automatically every few seconds.

The TruCenter is easily installed, especially if you have air tools.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Sevenmacs,

If may suggest, call Brazels in Centrailia WA. Those guys are impressive in their knowledge of MH issues and how to fix them. While I was there I could not believe the number of MHs there from all over the U.S. from CA to FL to have them work on their rig. Blew my hair back. They are also sponsor of IRV2.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
I hadn't heard of them before now. I am only ~94 miles from them. I have contacted then about a roof leak in a slide. I hope they can help. Thanks for suggesting them. Do they work with extended insurance companies?

As far as the TruCenter is concerned, it really takes the fight out of the wheel. I am so much more relaxed at the end of the days drive than pre-assist days.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I hadn't heard of them before now. I am only ~94 miles from them. I have contacted then about a roof leak in a slide. I hope they can help. Thanks for suggesting them. Do they work with extended insurance companies?

As far as the TruCenter is concerned, it really takes the fight out of the wheel. I am so much more relaxed at the end of the days drive than pre-assist days.

I have no idea if they work on extended warranties but I would assume so. I learned the hard way to call and set up an appointment before you go. As I said they are extremely busy. When I got there they were a little over three weeks out. I have been buying parts and upgrades from them for more than three years so I've had the opportunity to talk with them several times.

Good luck and left us know how it all turns out.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD

Tags
class a, steering