Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
I have no idea if they work on extended warranties but I would assume so. I learned the hard way to call and set up an appointment before you go. As I said they are extremely busy. When I got there they were a little over three weeks out. I have been buying parts and upgrades from them for more than three years so I've had the opportunity to talk with them several times.

Good luck and left us know how it all turns out.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
You know, Alan, that GOOD Rv repair shops are few and far between. It is good to have a vote of confidence form the personal experiences you have had. I emailed them and they say the test is $199. I will wait till spring to have to coach fully tested. I have my 'known' leak under control. I just think it is a good idea to have this done ever 5 years or so. Winnebago has a problem with slide roof leaks by design. I am surprised we have not seen more folks commenting on this topic. But, we are way off topic here.

Back to the TruCenter. Blue Ox has a great reputation. I had chosen this product but had not bought it yet when a friend of mine I volunteer with told me that he had a new unit that he had not installed in his new to him coach and was not going to. I bought it from him because it was the correct unit for my rig. I bought the mounting kit from Amazon.com. We installed the piston in about a hour and the wiring took a bit longer. I needed to mount the switch and this took some figuring as to where. I had two choices; dash switch or floor switch. I opted for the floor. I mounted it on the foot rest to the left that covers the DC service panel feeds to under the dash. I put the switch a bit too far left for easy access and comfortable use, but it still works. (I need to move it while I am thinking of it.)

The big test was driving from Prescott, AZ to Seattle, WA. Road and wind conditions are extreme when traveling this far and in so many different terrains. At the end of the first day I noticed a difference. Getting used to the stiffer wheel was no problem. But the end of the days travels was a joy. I didn't feel exhausted. Simply tired. I didn't realize how much effort I had been putting into steering the coach. I though it was very easy to handle before the conversion. How wrong I was.

I am not certain this system will work on Independent Front Suspension (IFS) chassis. My last rig was a Freightliner Custom chassis also but with IFS. As I recall I couldn't find a stabilizer that I thought was worth the money for it. It was tough in the wind.

Bottom line? If you do a fare amount of traveling you might consider one of the stabilizer systems. I vote for TruCenter.

Rick Y.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #86

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
You know, Alan, that GOOD Rv repair shops are few and far between. It is good to have a vote of confidence form the personal experiences you have had. I emailed them and they say the test is $199. I will wait till spring to have to coach fully tested. I have my 'known' leak under control. I just think it is a good idea to have this done ever 5 years or so. Winnebago has a problem with slide roof leaks by design. I am surprised we have not seen more folks commenting on this topic. But, we are way off topic here.

Back to the TruCenter. Blue Ox has a great reputation. I had chosen this product but had not bought it yet when a friend of mine I volunteer with told me that he had a new unit that he had not installed in his new to him coach and was not going to. I bought it from him because it was the correct unit for my rig. I bought the mounting kit from Amazon.com. We installed the piston in about a hour and the wiring took a bit longer. I needed to mount the switch and this took some figuring as to where. I had two choices; dash switch or floor switch. I opted for the floor. I mounted it on the foot rest to the left that covers the DC service panel feeds to under the dash. I put the switch a bit too far left for easy access and comfortable use, but it still works. (I need to move it while I am thinking of it.)

The big test was driving from Prescott, AZ to Seattle, WA. Road and wind conditions are extreme when traveling this far and in so many different terrains. At the end of the first day I noticed a difference. Getting used to the stiffer wheel was no problem. But the end of the days travels was a joy. I didn't feel exhausted. Simply tired. I didn't realize how much effort I had been putting into steering the coach. I though it was very easy to handle before the conversion. How wrong I was.

I am not certain this system will work on Independent Front Suspension (IFS) chassis. My last rig was a Freightliner Custom chassis also but with IFS. As I recall I couldn't find a stabilizer that I thought was worth the money for it. It was tough in the wind.

Bottom line? If you do a fare amount of traveling you might consider one of the stabilizer systems. I vote for TruCenter.

Rick Y.

Not a problem. You know for a roof I would consider going back to where your Winnie was born in Forest City Iowa. Jon Brazel suggested the front stabilizer system while I was there but I was about 26th in line! Lol! They took care of my problems which I was eternally grateful. Btw, there is something called RV service reviews that helps to weed out the undesirables.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins

Old 10-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Not a problem. You know for a roof I would consider going back to where your Winnie was born in Forest City Iowa. Jon Brazel suggested the front stabilizer system while I was there but I was about 26th in line! Lol! They took care of my problems which I was eternally grateful. Btw, there is something called RV service reviews that helps to weed out the undesirables.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Your suggestion about the factory is a great one. We had the '05 Vectra 40FD to the shop all over the country trying to stop a bedroom slide roof leak. Forest City removed the roof and rebuilt it. That was an expensive fix but the only way to repair the damage of all the failed attempts.

We have relocated to the West coast and winter is closing in. FC is not a place to go in winter. We didn't know we had this leak until this summer. WA is the place to test for leaks. We are glad that the rain was not constant. I have been working on the leak and I almost have it stopped. My last attempt was pepper. I have sealed the roof seam that I know is leaking but doing a complete job is so hard to judge because the seam is behind a sweep gasket. The nozzle on the caulk tube is a bit short and access is limited. I was so disappointed when I had finished what I thought was the fix and I still have a minor leak. At last resort I am trying the pepper as a 'cork' in the hole. I just want to get through the winter volunteering on the west coast without water coming in with every rain.

Thanks again for your valid suggestion. It is sad that things of this nature can't be addressed correctly by most RV dealers.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 04-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #88

A search brought me to this thread. I have purchase a used new to me 2012 Georgetown 357 with the Ford F53 and 22.5in tires that has the TruCenter already installed. My question is how long do I need to hold the button, until my steering wheel is straight or until I feel relief in the wind push?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #89

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
A search brought me to this thread. I have purchase a used new to me 2012 Georgetown 357 with the Ford F53 and 22.5in tires that has the TruCenter already installed. My question is how long do I need to hold the button, until my steering wheel is straight or until I feel relief in the wind push?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Only a few seconds and you should notice the pressure release from the wheel. Make sure it's installed properly. The dealer installed ours no charge when we bought the MH, and I felt like I would hold the button in for up to 10 seconds with no change. I found that they connected the 12 volt switched wire to a wire that doesn't put out 12 volts. I wired it myself to a different circuit and now it works great. A few seconds makes a big change on the unit.

2017 Coachmen Cross Country 407FW
rcarpe06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #90

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Operation and installation manual is attached.

TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TC35160_TC35270.pdf (692.8 KB, 18 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
I bumped Unsubscribe on my email. Just getting back on.

The TruCenter works great. Point in the direction you want to go and push the button monetarily. I find that I sometimes need to over steer a tad to get the wheel under better control. Had some high winds on I 15 on my way north the Newberry Springs, CA. The assist worked fine. But the traffic to Vegas and the construction was not relieved by the TruCenter. Won't stop the coach from rocking while parked here in the desert wind! Sand, sand every where. Plenty of grains to spare!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #92

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto on Tru-Center! Best upgrade! I wish my switch was on the floor...may have to change mine....don't hold the switch more than a few seconds at a time though or you can burn it up, or so says my dealer.
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstdreamin View Post
Ditto on Tru-Center! Best upgrade! I wish my switch was on the floor...may have to change mine....don't hold the switch more than a few seconds at a time though or you can burn it up, or so says my dealer.
"you can burn it up" Old story not for today. The system was corrected to prevent the relay from doing that. There is no advantage to holding the button in any case. Point and click is all that is needed. Repeat if needed and when needed.

The floor sw installs easy on the left foot rest, if you have one. I put mine too far left and my knee hits the water bottle holder on the dash. I'll move it one of these days.

Tags
class a, steering