Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I just bought a new TruCenter for 799 on ebay and the mounting brackets for 72 from Amazon.
That's not a bad price from what I have seen. I mounted the heavy duty button switch on the left foot rest. I was able to come through the firewall at an unused hole plug. A extra set of hands or some block under the control piston will help with the installation. Breaking the original bolts loose on the chassis worked well for me by the use of a 1/2" breaker bar and my foot. My friend held the socket in place till I could get positioned. I think "a friend" method might be quicker and of less hassle.

Keep us posted. I look forward to a good report.

Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
That's not a bad price from what I have seen. I mounted the heavy duty button switch on the left foot rest. I was able to come through the firewall at an unused hole plug. A extra set of hands or some block under the control piston will help with the installation. Breaking the original bolts loose on the chassis worked well for me by the use of a 1/2" breaker bar and my foot. My friend held the socket in place till I could get positioned. I think "a friend" method might be quicker and of less hassle.

Keep us posted. I look forward to a good report.

Rick Y
I actually missed the chance on one that was listed with a buy it now at 599. I blinked and it was gone.

I still haven't decided where to mount the switch. I wish I had a panel on the left side wall with all the switches. I'm actually thinking of getting one of these: Temco Industrial Foot Switch SPDT No Electric Power Pedal Momentary New CNC | eBay
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #31

I received the TruCenter today and it looks really nice. Now I'm waiting for the mounting brackets.

I like the two switches that came with it. I think I'm going to go with the metal one though. Some people have complained that it's hard to push, but that's because it's meant to be used as a foot switch. I think I'll build a metal bracket, kinda like a foot rest, and install it on the floor.

Something like this:

Old 06-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I received the TruCenter today and it looks really nice. Now I'm waiting for the mounting brackets.

I like the two switches that came with it. I think I'm going to go with the metal one though. Some people have complained that it's hard to push, but that's because it's meant to be used as a foot switch. I think I'll build a metal bracket, kinda like a foot rest, and install it on the floor.

Something like this:

This is how I did mine also. I have a removable foot rest on the left. All it takes is a couple of screws removed and it comes right out. Under it is access to my DC circuit breakers. I mounted the relay in that compartment and tapped power to the fuse from the bus. The ground was there too. The lead back to the piston went through the firewall. It took a couple of hours to do the complete job. I think hunting down the right tools took up some of that time.

The good thing about using the foot switch is that you don't have to take your eyes off the road to hunt it down. The big test is in 2 weeks. We have a 1400 mile trip to Seattle coming up. I look forward to a visit at Bryce Canyon on the way to see the grand-boys.

I look forward to hearing how your install goes.

Rick Y
Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #33

The coach doesn't have a dead pedal so I ended up making a bracket that will mount to the floor and firewall. Had to powder coat it for durability since it will be stepped on.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #34

Does anyone know if there is a similar shop or service available in Texas or Oklahoma where one could have a similar road performance assessment? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Does anyone know if there is a similar shop or service available in Texas or Oklahoma where one could have a similar road performance assessment? Thanks.
I don't know if I understand your question. How a coach, like a car, feels in handling under certain conditions is often a personal concern. Some steering and handling problems are common to certain chassis designs. In your case, if you find wind and road wear causes stress while driving you might benefit from one of the many steering "stabilizers" on the market.

In my case, I had read many good reports about the Blue Ox TruCenter steering assist/stabilizer. My coach tends to pull in a cross wind. I wish to eliminate, or at least control, this problem because I often drive long distances over several days. To reduce driving fatigue I hope this devise will help. My first test of this devise will be at the end of next week when my DW and I head out for a 1400 mile trek to visit with the grandkids.

I hope this report helps you with what your next step is to be.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 06-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
My front and rear sway bar bushings were worn out on my 03 sightseer and installed new ones made a big difference in the handling. But still did feel right and after 4 hours I was ready for bed. So I installed the road master steering stabilizer and that made a big difference now I need a new seat. I have put 4000 miles since I installed it and it's a whole new beast. Now my wife isn't afraid of it. We bought our unit used and our first so we are doing all the upgrade and repairs that the original owner didn't do. My 2 cents
Old 06-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #37

I understand the concern as we all want these billboard to drive straight down the road. To be honest, if I had to drive ours the way it was right off the lot, I would have given up by now. If you had zero wind, zero cars, and a perfect road, you could drive it with one finger. The minute on of those things changed, it was all over the road. Not comfortable at all. It reminded me the first time I flew a Cessna with a tight grip on the yoke and couldn't keep on a heading. I was then told to fly it with my finger tips and that was the trick. After doing the CHF, correct tire pressure, and rear trac bar, I can drive the coach with fingertips for most of the time. I'm hoping that the TruCenter takes care of the rest.

I got the electronic side mounted up, waiting for the brackets to show up to do the mechanical side.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I understand the concern as we all want these billboard to drive straight down the road. To be honest, if I had to drive ours the way it was right off the lot, I would have given up by now. If you had zero wind, zero cars, and a perfect road, you could drive it with one finger. The minute on of those things changed, it was all over the road. Not comfortable at all. It reminded me the first time I flew a Cessna with a tight grip on the yoke and couldn't keep on a heading. I was then told to fly it with my finger tips and that was the trick. After doing the CHF, correct tire pressure, and rear trac bar, I can drive the coach with fingertips for most of the time. I'm hoping that the TruCenter takes care of the rest.

I got the electronic side mounted up, waiting for the brackets to show up to do the mechanical side.
CHF and rear trac bar? Not familiar with them.

Diesel pushers are suspended much different than gassers. Some folks know this and many never think about this fact when choosing a coach. The $ amount and layout is all that is considered. The ride of a gasser is more like that of a local delivery truck, even with a good suspension. The dp ride is closest compared to a good tour bus and may be on the same chassis. My 2000 Fleetwood was very susceptible to the road conditions you describe here, even as a dp, but not as bad as a gasser. Freightliner has improved the suspension controls over the years (or Winnebago has allowed Freightliner to incorporate them in the newer chassis) and the handling has improved. My last coach was a '05, 40' was better than the '00. This coach is even better riding than the previous two. My only issue is with crosswinds. As you said. We are pushing a big billboard down the road. If the pull on the wheel were under control this coach would not be a problem under the other normal road conditions. Like your Cessna, isn't 65mph about the right flight speed?

When we moved into this "new to us" coach last year, the changes in handling were very notable. The Vectra had independent front suspension, this does not. The basement on the Vectra was compartments on the slides, this has a full chassis basement. These two changes alone change the ride very much. I find the stability of this coach much better than the '05. But, at 38,000 pounds a bad expansion joint can still get one's attention.

I hope the bracket arrives soon. That was a piece of cake to install. You have two sets of U bolts to choose from. Follow the directions and all should go smooth.

Rick Y
Old 06-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #39

Quote:
CHF and rear trac bar? Not familiar with them.

Diesel pushers are suspended much different than gassers. Some folks know this and many never think about this fact when choosing a coach. The $ amount and layout is all that is considered. The ride of a gasser is more like that of a local delivery truck, even with a good suspension. The dp ride is closest compared to a good tour bus and may be on the same chassis. My 2000 Fleetwood was very susceptible to the road conditions you describe here, even as a dp, but not as bad as a gasser. Freightliner has improved the suspension controls over the years (or Winnebago has allowed Freightliner to incorporate them in the newer chassis) and the handling has improved. My last coach was a '05, 40' was better than the '00. This coach is even better riding than the previous two. My only issue is with crosswinds. As you said. We are pushing a big billboard down the road. If the pull on the wheel were under control this coach would not be a problem under the other normal road conditions. Like your Cessna, isn't 65mph about the right flight speed?

When we moved into this "new to us" coach last year, the changes in handling were very notable. The Vectra had independent front suspension, this does not. The basement on the Vectra was compartments on the slides, this has a full chassis basement. These two changes alone change the ride very much. I find the stability of this coach much better than the '05. But, at 38,000 pounds a bad expansion joint can still get one's attention.

I hope the bracket arrives soon. That was a piece of cake to install. You have two sets of U bolts to choose from. Follow the directions and all should go smooth.

Rick Y
Rick, the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) is basically the same as adding a beefier anti sway bar to the F53 chassis. You just move the end links to the inner hole position and it helps tremendously with road sway from passing trucks or winds. The trak bar is basically a way to get rid of lateral movement by hooking up the frame to the axle, and at the same time letting it move up and down. On the newer frames, the front comes with an OEM one, but not the rear.

The road sway greatly improved with the CHF, tire pressure an trak bar. I'm sure the rest will be taken care of with the TruCenter.

Now, as far as comfortable ride...I have to admit that the stock ride with Bilsteins was horrible. Like you said, rode like a delivery truck. After installing Koni shocks, it's an entirely different coach. It now floats down the road.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Rick, the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) is basically the same as adding a beefier anti sway bar to the F53 chassis. You just move the end links to the inner hole position and it helps tremendously with road sway from passing trucks or winds. The trak bar is basically a way to get rid of lateral movement by hooking up the frame to the axle, and at the same time letting it move up and down. On the newer frames, the front comes with an OEM one, but not the rear.

The road sway greatly improved with the CHF, tire pressure an trak bar. I'm sure the rest will be taken care of with the TruCenter.

Now, as far as comfortable ride...I have to admit that the stock ride with Bilsteins was horrible. Like you said, rode like a delivery truck. After installing Koni shocks, it's an entirely different coach. It now floats down the road.
Thanks for this info. At this age, I hope I remember what CHF means next time I see it .

Good to know about the Koni's. Bilsteins are more advertized for RV's. Am I understanding you have a F53 chassis? I'm not familiar with your coach. Is it a gasser?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #41

Quote:
Thanks for this info. At this age, I hope I remember what CHF means next time I see it .

Good to know about the Koni's. Bilsteins are more advertized for RV's. Am I understanding you have a F53 chassis? I'm not familiar with your coach. Is it a gasser?
Yes, V10 gasser.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #42

Sorry I did not make my question clear. I am wondering if there is a place like Henderson's Line-up Brake & RV that is located in Texas or Oklahoma where one might get a similar "ride assessment" and service. Since we're fairly new to Class As I just thought we could fine tune our driving experience.

The previous owners purchased the optional Front Shocks/Steering Stabilizer Package for the Workhorse chassis. It includes: SteerSafe centering stabilizers, air bags and springs on the front end; and Monroe shocks with heavy stabilizer bars front and rear. The only thing we might look at is the bell crank because there seems to be a little play in the steering rod. With all that we still get pushed out by passing semis and experience a lot of left and right movement. This is in a basically empty RV with new tires on the rear and 4-yr old tires on front; all with recommended PSI. So, we're just wanting to cover our bases in light of all we read in this extensive forum. Thanks.

Tags
class a, steering