Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 04:20 AM   #1

Steering Stabilizer

We are thinking about getting the Steer-Safe steering stabilizer. Any comments, experience with this or any other stabilizer would be appreciated.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 05:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Did you Google "steering stabilizer" here on iRV2? There are 100's if not 1000's of comments on this subject...

H. Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #3

Took 2 short shakedown trips with our rig and decided we needed a steering stabilizer. The coach would wander all over in my lane and I was actively steering left to right constantly

Installed the Safe-T-Plus in my driveway, carefully following the instructions and torque specs. What an amazing improvement in the driving and handling experience! We're about 1,800 miles into a two week trip and I make little effort keeping the rig between the mustard and mayo. It also improves handling from wind, crown of the road and push by big tractors. I'm impressed.

A couple of thoughts. 1)Although I was able to install this myself, it was very hard to do laying on my back. I think I would have it done on a lift and just pay the labor next time. 2)You can fine tune the center of the steering. I left mine a little positive to one side so I could go long distances just "holding" the wheel. Did the same to a muscle car and just prefer the steering to not be too "neutral"
Old 07-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

I am sure it differs depending on the type of chassis. Put a safe-t-plus on in my driveway in about 30 min. Did have to test drive and adjust it a few times to get it the way I liked it. Best thing I did to my motorhome. Went from white knuckle to sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #5

I tried searching but it took me back to a full Google internet search. Too much info.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Steer-Safe. We had it installed only for "just in case" reasons and so can't comment on other possible reasons for using it. Honestly don't know it is even there as it doesn't add to or subtract from the normal driving feel of the coach - but then again, I have a diesel pusher and didn't really expect any change in driving feel.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We are thinking about getting the Steer-Safe steering stabilizer. Any comments, experience with this or any other stabilizer would be appreciated.

I installed the SteerSafe stabilizers when we first bought the MH. I bought them strictly for the added control in case of a blown steer tire! The MH drives like a dream!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #8

We had a Steer Safe controller on a Class A gas RV, and had a left front blow out at 65mph on tires less than 2 years old - and my wife was driving. I just said calmly - many times - "no brake, keep it straight" She kept control until we could ease to the side of the interstate. The Steer Safe was a life save - literally. We also installed one on our replacement diesel pusher.

Rob & Laura
2012 Itasca Meridian
Old 07-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblaura View Post
We had a Steer Safe controller on a Class A gas RV, and had a left front blow out at 65mph on tires less than 2 years old - and my wife was driving. I just said calmly - many times - "no brake, keep it straight" She kept control until we could ease to the side of the interstate. The Steer Safe was a life save - literally. We also installed one on our replacement diesel pusher.

Rob & Laura
2012 Itasca Meridian

Glad to hear it works!

Old 07-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I installed the SteerSafe steering stabilizer system on our coach several years ago. It works exactly as advertised.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:48 AM   #11

We have decided to get the Steer Safe when we are in Deming in Nov. Talked to them and they will do the install, take 15-30 minutes and give them a days notice. Sounds good, we will go there first, get it installed and be done with it.

Thanks everyone

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #12

I went with the blueox trucenter. I still have to make micro corrections pretty regularly, but it does make a very nice difference with steering overall.

It's main purpose in life is safety though and that's where they really shine. Though hopefully I'm never forced to need it it's nice to know that it's there.

I'd go the distance and add a rear trac bar if you haven't and you'll probably really enjoy driving quite a bit more. Depending on your model might even look at the cheap handling fix though I haven't needed to do it.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #13

I already wrote a strong recommendation for the Steer Safe product. If you have a gas RV with the long rear overhang, you may want to also consider a rear axel track bar. This device eliminates the small amount of sideways wiggle in the axel that creates "Tail wagging the dog" movement in cross winds, uneven pavement, and large passing vehicles. I found that the combination of Steer Safe and track bar produced a very stable ride in the A & C gas coaches we owned in the past.

Rob & Laura
2102 Itasca Meridian
Old 07-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We have decided to get the Steer Safe when we are in Deming in Nov. Talked to them and they will do the install, take 15-30 minutes and give them a days notice. Sounds good, we will go there first, get it installed and be done with it.

Thanks everyone

I was going to have him install them, but he was at a rally somewhere when we were in that area. I did the install myself, which wasn't too difficult, but I would have had him do it if I could!

Tags
steering