Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Steering Stabilizer for 2007 Winnebago Journey 39k

We are real brand newbies. We bought this beautiful coach. We love it. We never had one before. We just knew that this would be our dream and it is just starting. I am retiring very soon as a an air traffic controller. Cant wait to get on the road and relieve 31 years of stress! .

My rig handles great. I love it. Just a fine machine. But I am hearing that steering stabilizers are a good thing for these freightliner chassis. Can you advise me on that?

Also, I will take any recommendations on a tow dolly for a 2011 Ford Fusion. FWD. I do not want to flat tow. So any help on good tow dollys would be great too. I have a couple in mind. A motorcycle will need to be on the rig as well.

Joe and Teri

wojorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
A steering stab is a band aid for steering problems caused by out of alignment or some other problem which needs to be corrected. If your unit drives to your satisfaction then leave it alone. I believe many stabs are purchased by people who have no knowledge of mechanics and they are probably a negative thing if they cover up a real problem.

As for the dolly, you will soon want to flat tow because of the convience. I speak from my own experience. As for the actual driving of the rig with a dolly vs flat toed, there is no difference. And I do not think you will notice the difference in the wear on the toad. Note, you can not back up either one. And the dolly is always a problem in storing and more difficult to attach to the toad.

targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
If your motorhome handles well I would skip putting on a stabilizer. When we first started out with a motorhome we had a car that could not be towed four down so we were forced into using a tow dolly. After a lot of research we found that the Demco Kar Kaddy was the best. It has surge brakes, galvanized metal, and the front tongue and ramps fold for a compact size. The downside is that it is expensive. We used the tow dolly for two years before we bought a towable car. Using a tow dolly requires that you get down on the ground to attach the tire straps and safety chains and it takes two people to load the car onto the dolly. It is no fun to do all this when it is raining or muddy from a previous rain. Also a few campgrounds will ask that you remove your car before going to your site and park your dolly in their office parking lot. Using a tow bar the car can be connected in about 15 minutes, unfortunately sometimes you are force into a particular method of towing. Good Luck
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig.

If your rig handles the way you like already, the only reason i would see to add a steering stabilizer would be for the added safety in the event of a front blowout.

As for stabilizers being used for a band aid to cover up more serious problems... there's some good wisdom in that thinking so getting it checked out by a good shop is a good idea. When our 2007 Ellipse was new I felt I had far too much road wander. I took it to two freightliner Oasis shops and a specialty alignment shop. Nothing they did got the coach to handle the way I wanted it to so I ended up at Henderson's Line Up in Oregon. They did a number of things including adding the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. I've loved the way my coach handles ever since.

good luck

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #5

I have a safe-t-plus on my 39K - have had them on the last three RV's I've had. It is supposed to help if you have a blow out but I haven't had one so don't know for sure that it does help. I do think it helps in heavy winds or when meeting trucks on a two lane highway. Is it necessary, no but I think it does help stabilize the steering. We do enjoy the lay out of our 39K and hope you will enjoy yours as much as we have enjoyed ours. If you have any questions about a 39K don't hesitate to ask.
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As mentioned if you rig handles good enough for you then the only reason for a steering stab is the safety factor. It it like a big shock absorber in the event of unexpected movement of the steering. If you find you are moving the wheel constantly (like on a sailboat) you may want to check out an aftermarket bell crank. Many consider the FL one a "weak link". Then over time you can have the alignment checked an new shocks.

I am curious why you choose not to tow four down? Personally I prefer it but it may just be a preference thing.

Good luck with your new rig and welcome. Sounds like you are ready for it.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Wojorider,welcome, you must be excited to begin your new venture, we wish you the best. Your 39K should have most of the bugs worked out as it is a later one. I think most of us 39K owners on this forum are in the 04(first year) to 06 range and we've had to talk with each other about common 39K isssues but we always seem to get them worked out between us. Happy travels.
Barry & Sue Miller(extended RVer's, 6 mos + per/year)
04 Journey 39K, C-7, 330 hp, towing: 02 Dakota 4X or 2013 Ford Edge, Aero 5050XL
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
I have a freightliner chassis and recently installed a tru-center. The coach handled well before the tru-center and the alignment checked out. The heavy cross winds through Ohio always required a lot of steering effort. I can now adjust for cross winds with the touch of a button. High crowned roads, recenter and push the button. I am much less tired at the end of a driving day.

Also had a tow dolly for three years. I had more bad experiences with the dolly than I care to remember. Make sure that the front of the car is high enough that it does not hit the dolly when you are loading and unloading. Make sure that you can drive the car onto the dolly without using additional ramps.

Flat towing requires a 10-15 minuter hook up. Dolly towing twice as long and you have to check the straps constantly on the road. And the dolly is always in the way. Buy the way, I hated my dolly. Lots of people who have them like them.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by wojorider View Post
I am retiring very soon as a an air traffic controller. Cant wait to get on the road and relieve 31 years of stress!
I know what you mean, I was a VFR ATC in Vietnam at a Brigade Headquarters.

My rig handles great. I love it. Just a fine machine. But I am hearing that steering stabilizers are a good thing for these Freightliner chassis. Can you advise me on that?
Consider if you will the Safe-T-Plus (big blue damper) and or the Blue Ox Tru-Center!
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Freightliner Owners Club
Ah as a newbie you've hit on two subject that will generate a ton of response:
steering stabilizers and tow dollies!

As for me, do a search of the forum and you will see a bunch of posts on TruCenter steering issues (many from me!) The TruCenter is great when it works but I am on my fourth one.

I used a tow dolly for 10 years before seeing the light and moving to flat towing. Best advice you have been given is to start flat towing now. It will save you hassles with hookups, body damage from tight turns, loose straps flapping behind as you drive, tempermental lighting system on dollies, etc.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
When I started to drive my first DP I considered a steering stabilizer. After listening to the advice from many people I took care of the basics, tire pressure, alignment and weight. I am glad I did not spend money on after market parts. As I learned to drive and took care of the basics it drives very good.

Tim & Paula - Leesburg, GA Papermaker
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36FTBS
2011 Chevy 3500 Duramax with Air Ride Hitch
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote

journey, steering, winnebago