Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #1

steering stablizer

Can those who have installed a steering stablizer comment on what brand was installed and thoughts if it was worth it? I am considering either Safe T Plus, or Bue OX Tur Center Steer. Heard that Blue Ox has some problems w/thiers? Want to install on 09 Dip. Thanks for the info in advance.
richz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #2

Rich
Thanks for the post. I have the same question. Just purchased a 2004 Itasca 37B. It "wanders", never really tracks straight.
Hope we get some good direction and experience on this issue.
MPython
MPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #3

My 2 cents. First, have a truck center check out your front end. Bad bushings, bell crank and other problems could be the cause of the wandering. Fix them first. I spent $600 on a Steer safe unit only to find out my front end needed $1,400 worth of work. The steer safe unit is what most trucking and bus companies use and mine did make a big difference plus it will help you in a front blow out. Also, after all that work, the steer safe unit and Koni FSD shocks when a truck passed or the wind kicked up I was still "wandering". A trac bar in the rear is now needed. It never ends....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #4

Bilstein ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
My 2 cents. First, have a truck center check out your front end. Bad bushings, bell crank and other problems could be the cause of the wandering. Fix them first. I spent $600 on a Steer safe unit only to find out my front end needed $1,400 worth of work. The steer safe unit is what most trucking and bus companies use and mine did make a big difference plus it will help you in a front blow out. Also, after all that work, the steer safe unit and Koni FSD shocks when a truck passed or the wind kicked up I was still "wandering". A trac bar in the rear is now needed. It never ends....
What about the Bilstein stabilizer. Any good ?
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
My 2 cents also: I have a 2002 Monaco Diplomat, and have been experiencing the wander/wind/semi push/ problems since getting it in Aug., 2010. I am following the recommended list of items (with some sort of preferred order)by the experienced people on these forums. So far have done the new tire thing, front-end align, ride heighth check/adj., weighing and Air pressure adj., steer safe, Roadmaster steering stabilizer, and now the Roadmaster anti-sway bars. The ride and handling changes have been dramatic---handles like it should now. Wander is 90% cured and body roll, wind/semi push is 90% cured. I can tell you that the Roadmaster Anti-sway bars has been the largest improvement for both problems. They are also expensive, but I am very happy with that choice. New Bilstein shocks not done yet. The steering stabilizer/steer safe had minimal improvement, but was done for more safety results than problem results. You will be blown away with the anti-sway bar change. It doesn't affect the air system (it pivots up and down with the chassis air), and the RV is even is more stable when aired down in an RV lot. Good luck, and as others have said, always something to do.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #6

Totally different chassis, but after the mod's we made to the F53 of our previous T28 Bounder, we were also in the 85-90% improvement range. The final item for us, and least expensive, was the addition of Airtabs. Really helped in the shifting winds, took the passing trucks impact to a level above, and kept the back of the rig and toad cleaner too... Driving in rain was great, on the rear view camera.

Our new old 04 CC Allure, 40' with tag, Road King shocks and SS Motion Control Units handles very well, but I will still add the Airtabs, when we go in for some coach paint work. With proper paint code matching, they sort of blend in....

Congrats on your improvements, best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi richz,
Welcome to iRV2. My steering stabilizer is not longer available. However, it is one that allows me to re-center the stabilizer as I drive down the road. I've had the ones that do not allow this. I highly recommend the unit that allows re-centering as you drive down the road. For me, It is a must have feature.

The previous posts mention other chassis services that may need to be done before an after market device is installed.
1. two axle alignment
2. ensure all chassis components are in good shape

There are several after market products that can help with coach stability. However, the OP does not mention why you are considering a steering stabilizer. If you could let us know, that would help in making a recommendation.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MPython,
Welcome to iRV2. Wandering is a problem I had with my coach. I used to say it drove like a dog hunting rabbits. There are several things that can be done to minimize wandering.

1. Have the chassis service by a certified tech. Make sure all chassis components (front and rear) are in good shape. This includes the shocks.
2. two axle alignment
3. ride height adjustment (for air suspension)
4. Installation of a rear and front anti sway bars
5. Installation of a steering stablizer
6. Installation of air bag restrictors, if the coach has air suspension.

Consider completing these items one at a time. Then drive the coach to see if a difference can be detected.

There are other products available. Go to http://www.hendersonslineup.com/ and read about them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #9

steering stablizer update

All. Since my post requesting info on steering stabilizers, here are my findings. First, I wanted a product that requires NO maintenance and/or worries if wiring or electrical issues should occur. So my focus was on a mechanical product, just like we have in our cars. The narrow search resulted in 2 products. The Roadmaster Reflex & The Safe T Plus. Each is a hydraulic shock that has NO electrical connections, and seloinods to ever worry about. This was important to me. I also searched for a product that would help with wind and truck effects when passing. These 2 issues are important since I live in the SW and we always have some wind and our highways always have trucks. Comparing the 2, the only difference I could see was that one product has been around longer, and one was significantly lower in price yet virtiually the same in the way it works including the components, and thier specifications (weight, spring strength, shock shaft body) however, in construction, one has an external spring around the hydraulic shock and the other is enclosed. I contacted both companies directly and spoke with the leading tech/engineer. Then I concluded that maybe "getting what you pay for is not the case here"? The Roadmaster product was less expensive and did what I wanted it to do. So, a Roadmaster is on its way. I hope this helps others who may be wrestling with the same issues I was. I think both products are so similar and both do the job they are designed to do. So, it's a buyer's preferance, and you have mine.
richz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excellent post.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I struggled with my coach 'wandering', and spent a lot of money on alignments and parts. Finally, I tightened the adjustment on the steering box, and it was fixed. Please check to see if your steering box has an adjustment for inner free play, and adjust it if it does.

Then I installed the Steer Safe stabilizer. It is everything they advertise it to be. Our coach now is not affected by wind, passing trucks, road ruts any more.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by richz View Post
All. Since my post requesting info on steering stabilizers, here are my findings. First, I wanted a product that requires NO maintenance and/or worries if wiring or electrical issues should occur. So my focus was on a mechanical product, just like we have in our cars. The narrow search resulted in 2 products. The Roadmaster Reflex & The Safe T Plus. Each is a hydraulic shock that has NO electrical connections, and seloinods to ever worry about. This was important to me. I also searched for a product that would help with wind and truck effects when passing. These 2 issues are important since I live in the SW and we always have some wind and our highways always have trucks. Comparing the 2, the only difference I could see was that one product has been around longer, and one was significantly lower in price yet virtiually the same in the way it works including the components, and thier specifications (weight, spring strength, shock shaft body) however, in construction, one has an external spring around the hydraulic shock and the other is enclosed. I contacted both companies directly and spoke with the leading tech/engineer. Then I concluded that maybe "getting what you pay for is not the case here"? The Roadmaster product was less expensive and did what I wanted it to do. So, a Roadmaster is on its way. I hope this helps others who may be wrestling with the same issues I was. I think both products are so similar and both do the job they are designed to do. So, it's a buyer's preferance, and you have mine.
Thanks for the review. I picked the Safe T Plus. Glad to see I selected one of the two you narrowed the search to. It will be installed by the dealer on Friday 8th April. I'll let you know what I think. I have a 2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 foot model TZ, a gas coach on the Ford F53 super duty chassis/362 HP Triton V-10.

Roll
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Blue Ox True Center.. I choose it due to the ability to "re-center" it from the driver's seat at the push of button,, I have found it makes a big difference, More on that in a second... Other makes, for the most part, to re-center you crawl under the rig with wrenches and a hammer, loosen, tap, tighten, try again, find you turned it the wrong way, crawl back under, losen, tap tap tap, re-tighten, find out you went too far. and so on.

With the Blue ox you just push the button and turn the wheel.

NOW: This is where I tell you how good it is:

The instructions say to stop, push the button, turn the wheel and then test drive.. Of course, the temptation is to re-center "HOT" that is while driving... And you can do this, works well, but...

When I drove off after install.. I truly did not notice much difference.. But then I pushed that button.. YOu ever watch one of those movies where the Airliner pilot is stricken. He can't fly, so they get the novice pilot out of the back, He comes up and the tower talks him down.. They tell him to disengage the auto pilot and he dang near looses control of the aircraft....

BELIEVE IT.. That's what happened to me, I ALMOST lost it And I was not going all that fast. Of course the 2nd time I was ready. It made a BIG difference.

Now the downside: The solenoid that the button activates has been an issue, seems sometimes the mounting welds do not hold, and on my older version the unit froze up on me and would not let me turn left (right was ok, but LEFT was an issue) I managed to get it into a campsite (Ok, so I'm good) and pulled it, drove most of last summer w/o it,, They got me a new one just before I left for where I winter... The new one appears to be much better constructed at least to my eye and hand.

I do know it makes driving this rig easier than driving what used to be my towed.. Without it the towed is easier to drive.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #14

I had the Steer Safe installed and noticed a difference right away. Also have some piece of mind knowing it self centers.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote