Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #1

Steering wheel knob

I want to install a steering wheel knob like the type often found on tractors, riding lawn mowers and 18 wheelers. Has anyone here had any experience with these?

WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
60 years ago, I had one on a '51 ford. It had a naked lady on it. Wish I still had her and the Ford. Eddie Elk.

1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #3

I was under the impression that "suicide handles"as they are known as have been outlawed for many years now.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #4

Most states do not allow them installed without having a doctor's prescription as being needed by a handicapped driver

Check with your state DMV for further information
Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #5

They used to be called "neckers knobs" because you could be kissing your lady in the front passenger seat and still be able to do multiple turns of the steering wheel with one hand. The 1950's-era cars used to take about 15 turns of the wheel from one side to the other.

After learning to drive in the UK, where steering was relatively high geared (maybe 4 turns lock-to-lock), I found the large displacement steering on US cars to be very disconcerting. I used to wonder whether the steering wheel had disconnected somehow. It didn't take too long to acclimatize. The first car I drove in the US was a Dodge Dart (a rental provided by Boeing when we arrived). It was the newest car I'd ever driven and had an engine 3x as big as anything I'd ever seen. It was the 270 slant six. Compared to my 1938 Austin 7 (45 cubes, 20 bhp on a really good day), it was enormous. It had very loose steering.

We soon figured it out and had a Mercury Colony Park station wagon with a 4-bbl 429 in a relatively short time and learned to love power steering!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfi4 View Post
Most states do not allow them installed without having a doctor's prescription as being needed by a handicapped driver

Check with your state DMV for further information
Indiana does not allow them unless as excepted as above. I have one I bought for a farm tractor and was too big for the steering wheel. Tried it out on the MH wheel once, pulled over and removed it after about 7 miles. That thing was going to cause me to wreck, it was kinda like using a crow-bar to move a phonograph needle, couldn't keep the steer tires in the groove.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had one years ago and almost broke my wrist when the steering wheel, not power steering, returned to normal after a turn.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Even if they were legal, I wouldn't consider one, reason being is that it will cause you to "Over Steer" when trying to back into a site and cause you more heart burn then it's worth.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineLuvrs View Post
I want to install a steering wheel knob like the type often found on tractors, riding lawn mowers and 18 wheelers. Has anyone here had any experience with these?
Many at Amazon
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #10

I wouldn't have one, but if you go on ebay you can finds lots of them. Naked ladies, roses, plain colors, many to choose from.....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineLuvrs View Post
WineLuvrs
Since most modern vehicles have power steering, I find that I can palm the steering wheel and just as effectively control the steering as I "usta could" with a steering knob.......
BTW, if someone doesn't know, (or for some reason can't figure out), what I mean by "palm the steering wheel" they better add a steering knob...
My 2 cents....
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #12

I have one on my Journey. An 8 ball. I only use it to turn corners. I have it at about 11:00 on the wheel. Bought it at a local AutoZone. I got it because I have an artificial right shoulder that has failed and the knob allows me to turn easily with my left hand. When going straight down the road, I can rest the right hand on the bottom of the wheel for awhile to give the left arm a rest. Going to have the shoulder "revised" on the 29th.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #13

I forget now just what car it was I had, but it had a grip swivel built into the steering wheel. It was a device about 4-5" in diameter set into the inside of the wheel. You'd grasp a grip handle with one hand and you could turn the steering wheel while the grip rotated within the wheel. Kinda hard to describe, but it worked pretty good.
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #14

I have one on my Jeep and I had one on my Class A. I don't have one on my C but I want one. Sure makes it easy when backing up. The Law has never said anything.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped