Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the Safe-T-Plus on our 2000 Adventurer. Yes we have had a front tire blowout. DW was driving when the right front came unglued. She handled it like a pro, slowed down, pulled to the shoulder and waited on Roaadside assistance. Me, on the other hand, didn't do so well. I was sitting on top of the tire when it blew. A change of drawers, a Xanax and about 30 minutes to wind down and I was good to go. Yes it was very noisy. The Safe-T-Plus paid for itself with interest that day. I would recomend some type of stabilizer on all Class A's for sure.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
I have a related question; I'm new to driving my National Dolpin 34DP. I'm noticing that the steering seems a little "vague" in that it seem to wander around when I'm driving, particularly in areas where the city pavement is worn or uneven. Is this a normal thing with a DP? Would one of the steering control systems mentioned here help that?

I haven't driven the unit enough to get accustomed to it, so maybe it's not a problem, but some input would be appreciated.

Tom
You've described what I would call "rut tracking", and the Steer Safe I installed on my rig did help a lot with rut tracking.

You may have other problems, such as loose steering components, poor wheel alignment, etc. Most of my problem was slop in the steering gear box, which I was able to adjust. Tires inflated too high can also cause a vague feeling in the steering.

The steer safe will help, but it will not eliminate all problems in my opinion.

Fred
Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Everyone seems to complain about road wander (myself included). However, I found that after driving many miles that I no longer notice the wander. It still does it but I just got use to it and compensated for it.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks folks! I was near Deming, NM when I started the thread. I was hoping to get them installed but the message on the answering machine said he had gone to an RV rally. Oh well, hopefully I can order them and install them myself if I decide to try them. Any other comments will be appreciated!
Bought the steer-safe unit and had it installed by a professional service center. Going through PA I hit a bump and both sides exploded leaving one of the hangers embedded in my brake backing plate. Couldn't turn left.

I'm sure IF they hang on AND you have a front blow out they will help but don't count on them lasting long.... I think the Safe-T-Plus is a better option.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had the Safe-T-Steer on our coach since almost new. Had an experience like new2RVn described except I was driving and DW was sitting over the cannon blast. Here's a couple of the damage and the tire. I did use the stopping techniques as described in the film that Gary recommended. Between the two there was no loss of control or problem stopping. The first picture shows the tire right after blowout and the second of the tire on the trash heap. Of course the first question Michelin asked was "what is the remaining tread depth?" I had just come up a hill and was running about 50 mph at the time of the blowout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9130554.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	22548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin Blow-out.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	22549  

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Bought the steer-safe unit and had it installed by a professional service center. Going through PA I hit a bump and both sides exploded leaving one of the hangers embedded in my brake backing plate. Couldn't turn left.

I'm sure IF they hang on AND you have a front blow out they will help but don't count on them lasting long.... I think the Safe-T-Plus is a better option.
Pretty amazing! I can't imagine how this could happen if installed properly? I had Steersafe installed on a class c and my current class a. Total of 6 years without any problem and enjoying decreased steering effort and greater control. Blowout and going off the road on to the shoulder control are the advertised strong points. I have gone off a sharp shoulder edge and easily maintained control. Had both installed at Quartzsite at a discount. Advantage over Safety Steer is independent control of each wheel. Not pretty but highly recommended! Thanks.
Jack H
chili's trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #21

Has anyone here installed the Steer Safe unit? I see there is an excellent video online:

I'm just wondering about a few things. First, was any difficulty encountered when trying to set the wheels straight? What common point did you use for measurement? Also, the video shows a Steer Safe unit installed at each end of the axle. Is that necessary? I thought just one was enough.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
Has anyone here installed the Steer Safe unit? I see there is an excellent video online:

I'm just wondering about a few things. First, was any difficulty encountered when trying to set the wheels straight? What common point did you use for measurement? Also, the video shows a Steer Safe unit installed at each end of the axle. Is that necessary? I thought just one was enough.
If you don't get the spring tension right and all the ubolts tight and right it's coming apart. It's old technology and if I were looking to do it again I would go with another system.