Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Step Circuit Breaker or Fuse

I have a 2007 Coachmen Pathfinder 377DS that I recently became the proud owner of. On the way home from our first outing in it, the steps stopped extending out. I have the Electric Double Steps by Kwikee. The light underneath goes on and off with the door. I even went as far as testing everything with a multi-meter. It leads me to believe that a circuit breaker has popped. The only problem is that I have searched the RV front to back and high and low and cannot find a circuit breaker for the steps. I have tested every fuse in the fuse panels both inside and outside. The only circuit breakers I can find are in the hallway inside the unit. There are fuses located there as well as in the hydraulic compartment underneath the driver's position. Does anyone know if there are additional circuit breakers or fuses located anywhere else? I have worn out the owners manual with no luck. Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe this will help.

Look on page 5 shows possible fuses and on page 8 shows how to test for power to the steps.

Check your ground wires and connector. They might just need to be cleaned. While your down there, lube all of the hinges with silicone lubricant.

Stay clear of the steps in case they extend while your working on them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf kWIKEE STEPS 875.pdf (1.20 MB, 103 views)

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I bet it was raining on your trip and the steps rusted/froze up. The light should not work if a fuse was blown.

You should see a cotter pin that connects the motor to the step mechcanics. Remove it and try to move them mamually. Unless they move effortlessly, they need to be lubed. This has happened to me before.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

Lubricate all step joints and motor arm. White lithium grease, spray can, at auto parts stores.
The motor shuts off based on current draw. If the motor can't move the steps it shuts off. Lubrecate.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
RV steps still do not work

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I removed the cotter pin from the swing arm on the motor. The steps dropped right out and swing freely. I went ahead and lubed everything up with lithium grease while I could though. I am back to square one. The only trouble shooting that I did not do was the stuff that required the adapter and a separate 12V battery. I am starting to think it might be the motor itself since everything else seems to be working. Unfortunately, the nearest RV store is almost an hour away from me in Nashville.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #6

Hello
I just bought my first rv. Same issue put juice to motor and worked come to find out it was the modular that was bad. Good luck
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #7

You can use a power window motor for a replacement. Take yours to an auto parts store and do a stare and compare.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a thought, tap on the motor, maybe there is a dead spot on the motor windings.

Double check your ground wires.

Try applying 12 volts from a known external source directly to the motor connector and see if the motor works.

A replacement window motor from a 1996 Ford Taurus drivers side could be a direct replacement.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same symptoms on my 08 (07 chassis ) and replaced the motor. Look at the motor and if it has #'s with 214 or 210 in them , this is the motor you need http://store.amequipment.com/214-ser...ing-p-128.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks for all of the help. I had to take the RV back to Camping World to get a slide topper replaced. I told the technician all of the trouble shooting that I had done and that I had it narrowed down to the motor or the control module. While he had it in the back he tested it and let me know that it was the motor. I just ordered the replacement off of the website that you linked. Hope to have it in time for the labor day weekend.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #11

hey I have a no power to my entry step after having to replace my front chassis battery. My battery was completely dead, I tried the coach battery assist to get it started but my starter would only chatter, so I purchased a new battery and it started right up, however I notice I have no power to my entry step nor the light underneath or the lighted switch on the inside of the coach. I assume that the fuse may have blown due to the dead battery issue, where is the fuse normally located? I spent over an hour looking yesterday with no luck. My motorhome chassis manual does not show a fuse dedicated to the entry step... and I also pulled every fuse under the dash and up front in the engine compartment as well as the fuses inside the coach in the bedroom, nothing blown and nothing that is labeled for the step... can anyone point in the right direction?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #12

Trying tapping on the motor, you may have a dead spot in the motor.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #13

tapping on it is not going to make the light come on or the lighted switch inside the coach, do you know where to find the actual fuse 20a for the step? the installation manual that came with the coach shows a inline 20a fuse somewhere?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #14

Please excuse my ignorance if I am posting in the wrong place, but web navigating is not my strong point. I have a 2007 Sea Breeze by National and am having a problem with the circuit that is used to charge the batteries when hooked to shore power. This also provides 12 volt power in lines when the batteries are disconnected and on “float” for storage. The side that charges or powers the chassis circuit is dead while the house side works fine. I would never have noticed this was it not for the fact that the entry step quit working when I opened the battery disconnect on the chassis side. I don’t have a step problem per say just no charging coming to that side, no horn, and no whistles or bells if you turn the ignition switch on, etc. I hooked a jumper wire from the coach line to the chassis line and have the step working again but would like to actually fix the situation. I prefer to have the step move in and out during winter storage to keep lubrication in the joints and avoid a $500.00 step replacement (been there done that). Any thoughts?

Tags
fuse