Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #1

Cool steps

steps to door work only when want to. what should I look for?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What type of unit do you have?

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Mothership
Look for:
Binding or bent components of the steps.
Bad or dirty electrical connections, switches and grounds.
Bad magnet switch on the screen door, if your rig has one.
Mounting bolts are secure to the frame of rig.
Make sure house battery's are fully charged.

Try:
Lubing all joints that move on the steps, including the rods, arms and mechanisms under the motorhome. Watch where your fingers/arms are in case the steps move on their own!

Hope this helps!!
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Mothership
My mistake, the steps may run off the vehicle battery (mine does) and not the house battery's, so check your vehicle battery too! Sorry.....
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
What type of unit do you have?
A 32' diesel 1995 Winnebago Brave.

Click on the avatar name then "public profile" then "about me". It's normally all there..........
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothership View Post

Try:
Lubing all joints that move on the steps, including the rods, arms and mechanisms under the motorhome.
Hope this helps!!
Any time our steps have been slow or stuck that has been the problem. White grease is the recommended lubricant I think but good ol' WD40 got them going. After lubricating all the joints you can see, being careful not to get fingers caught, give them a shove or yank according to where they are stuck.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #7

see my reply to your new member post.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #8

Somewhere on the Master Control Panel their is a switch labeled "Use" and Store", check and make sure the "Use" switch is "on" vs. the "Store" switch position. If the "Store" switch is "on", the Chassis Battery(ies) won't be receiving a charge from the onboard inverter and the steps (Kwikee) have to have a full 12.7v to work properly.

It sounds like you have checked all the fuses, so make sure you have a good ground connection. If there is no problem with those two areas, then check the Controller to see if it is getting power. If it is, then most likely it is the Lift Motor. Also, before attempting to move the steps, make sure you disconnect the power going to the Controller. You will see a connector somewhere close to the Controller - just pull it apart and re-connect after you do your inspection.

Rnicfingrp
Old 08-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
A 32' diesel 1995 Winnebago Brave.

Click on the avatar name then "public profile" then "about me". It's normally all there..........
Hal: you are explaining to a MODERATOR how to find the OP's coach info. I'm betting JohnRR knows...... His reply to the OP was a reasonable question, IMO and I can't believe how many posts are made by members who don't provide the basic info needed to properly help them. Why should "we" have to go searching for their info.?

If more members would do as you have done by providing the basic coach and chassis info as their signature, this place would be even better than it already is!

Off my soapbox now....
Ed
Old 08-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had the same problem. After checking the magnets, lubing the step, checking the fuse, making sure there were no loose wires, etc..... The problem was fixed by replacing the circuit board. Have not had a problem since!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When my rig was a lot newer I had issues with the Kwikee steps.. In my case some times they would just flat not work at all.. I'd "Thunk" the motor with the handle of a hammer a few times (just enough to shake it up, not enough to dent it) and they would work.. For a while..

IF yours responds to a good spanking, let me know and I'll tell you step 2.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might want to also check the connector that supplies power to the steps.Funny story ... I was reading about, and bookmarked a post from a user in another forum thread, that had changed out the motor for their steps using a power window regulator that was nearly identical to the one that was removed.

Well sometimes I think that our Motorhome is watching me I needed to take the MH to the DMV yesterday and while I was packing it up to make it road ready, the steps would NOT retract. What! I am thinking to myself, they just worked the other day.

Ok so out comes the rubber mallet for a few thumps - nothing. Now it's time to climb under and see what is going on.

From my many years in the Automotive Aftermarket Industry, I know how quickly outdoor exposed wires, especially those in the engine compartment and undercarriage, can become corroded, so I started tracing wires and looking at connectors, and sure enough, the primary connector that supplies power and ground to the stairs was corroded.

Corroded to the point where the female pin in the connector on the power lead completely corroded and broke off - and was actually stuck in/broken into the opposite side of the connector. At least I knew where the problem was now. I broke out the wire cutters and strippers, fashioned a quick jumper and the stairs retracted.

The corroded pin you see in the upper left is the bottom part of the broken female pin - that pin should reside in the other side of the connector - not here where it is!

I still have to come up with a more permanent solution, but it's raining pretty good outside today, so that will have to wait for another sunny day.

Good Luck with your diagnosis

... and YES - all that rust on the basement compartments is another sunny day project. Clean and scrape off the rust, fill any holes and then re-undercoat. Always something to do .. huh?

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote