Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steps not fully retracting

I have a 2002 Suncruiser 32U on the WH chassis. Recently, the steps have stopped with about 2-3 inches failing to go in. If I apply a bit of foot pressure while they are going in, they will go all the way in. I have sprayed silicone and oiled them but the problem persists.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take the cotter pin out and drop the linkage out of the way,see if the steps move ok unhooked.If they move ok unhooked from linkage lube linkage,and if that fails lube motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqMOKisE6(eVnmFQBOpYvb0w+Q~~60_12.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	15666  

Old 11-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I know that this may sound dumb but have you tried to retract/extend after you have had your engine running for about five minutes?

It may be that your house batteries do not have enough of a charge to pull the steps all the way in. I found out that this was the problem to mine doing the same thing.

I will be having my RV guy change my house batteries to charge off of shore pwr, just like they currently do only from the engine or the generator.

If you have been plugged into shore power, that might be the problem- not enough juice.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

If they move freely disconnected then you are good otherwise might need to replace a few pivot bearings
Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
I know that this may sound dumb but have you tried to retract/extend after you have had your engine running for about five minutes?

It may be that your house batteries do not have enough of a charge to pull the steps all the way in. I found out that this was the problem to mine doing the same thing.

I will be having my RV guy change my house batteries to charge off of shore pwr, just like they currently do only from the engine or the generator.

If you have been plugged into shore power, that might be the problem- not enough juice.

Sheila

That's exactly the problem with ours. As long as the chassis battery is fully charged there's no problem with the steps but after setting for a while without the battery being charged the steps won't fully retract without a little nudge.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I have a 2002 Suncruiser 32U on the WH chassis. Recently, the steps have stopped with about 2-3 inches failing to go in. If I apply a bit of foot pressure while they are going in, they will go all the way in. I have sprayed silicone and oiled them but the problem persists.
This was probably the #1 repair we had at our lot. If your battery is fully charged, You probably have a lube problem. The lubricant gets old and thick and causes a drag on the pivot points. We always sprayed all the pivot points with WD40. Work the steps several times and spray a second time. You are using the WD40 as a cleaner more than a lubricant. After a few days you can use a light spray grease on the steps. Make sure you lie on the ground and spray all the linkage and the main hinge points under the steps.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
THe advice given should fix your step problem. I just wanted to caution you on being in or around the step working on them with the power on. I always disconnect the power when I am going to be under the steps or have my fingers in the linkage areas. You never know when something like a door blowing shut in the wind will trigger the steps.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My steps have always stuck out about 2 inches. I just assumed that was the norm
Old 11-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
2 inches out is not bad, I think the OP means his are out and down a bit. Ground clearance may be his issue.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm having the same problem .. and like coffeeman, my steps have always been like this, so I really did not know better. I have previously lubed all the moving parts, and today decided to take apart the linkage as noted in this post.

To my surprise, or maybe not given some of the other things we have fixed, one of the bolts from the linkage cover was never installed. At least that's the way it looks, but that will actually work to my favor as the two bolts noted here broke while trying to remove them. I definitely used care when trying to take them out, but they broke anyway. One about 1/2 way, the other looks like closer to the end.

Looks like I'll be pulling more of the stair mechanism apart than I had hoped for. Tomorrow maybe see what it takes to pull the motor assembly down and see if I can clean, degrease and lube it up for better operation.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
The manual for my steps say never use WD-40 or SILICONE since silicone leaves a residue that is harmful to the metal by excelerating rust.

Instead, it says always use a spray greese.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #12

You need a heavier grease that stays with the joint. Go to an auto parts store and get some white lithium grease in a spray can. It should come with a tube to direct the grease where you want it. Lay down and get the moving joints on the bottom of the steps.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #13

Oh, and if it should be the motor that is causing your problem, there is a thread somewhere that talks about using a Taurus driver power window motor....I think around 1996. I bought one a couple of months ago and it is still working just fine...at about $50 vs $120.

Did a quick look and here is the info:

Bob's Guides | Electric Steps

Got mine at Autozone.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #14

10w-30 on my pivots. oil it twice a year. The Manufacture says it never needs lubed. They sell motors for $175.