Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #1

Steps not fully retracting

The steps on my 2005 Bounder have decided to retract only about 80% of the way. I can push them the rest of the way, which turns the motor and everything, but then they immediately go back to 80%. Nothing seems to be binding. I've looked for a stop adjustment but I can't find one, or any evidence of anything that has slipped from its position.

Any thoughts?
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #2

When you push them in are you assisting the motor or after the motor has stopped? I ask because due to the gear ratio in the drive mechanism it's almost impossible to force the steps in manually. If they do go in by pushing them, motor not running, I suspect the gears are stripped in the gear box.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I know on my electric steps if the voltage is low (12.4v or less) the steps do not fully close. When the engine is running they will. Tell tale sign my battery is low. I believe the step is powered off the engine battery not the house... not 100% sure.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:09 AM   #4

When I push the steps up the rest of the way it rotates the motor. Then when I release, the motor rotates the other way (like a spring, not under power I think) to take it back to 80%.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lubricate all the hinge points, when you push them in you are taking up all the slack in the system. Properly lubed the motor will pull the steps up tighter and remove more system slack.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:00 AM   #6

I'll get another shot at it this weekend, but, just to be clear, when I push it up the rest of the way it rotates the gears and the motor, then when I release, the gears and the motor rotate the other way to return the steps to the 80% retracted state. There doesn't appear to be any slack or binding in the system. It's as though an adjustment has slipped and the motor thinks this 80% position is where it's supposed to be. I can't find any adjustments to make, however.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #7

When you push on them the arm moves, you say the gears and motor turn. Are you positive the motor is actually turning? Try to pull the steps out by hand. With them out try to push them in by hand. Bet you can't do either, gear ratio in the gearbox just won't allow it. I still bet there is a portion of the gears that are stripped. If not you couldn't push them in and they wouldn't come back out after you did. Something is worn, sloppy or stripped.

There is no adjustment. When fully closed the motor stalls. This causes and overcurrent condition and the controller shuts off power to the motor. Same thing happens when you extend the steps. They hit the end of travel and the motor stalls. There is minor adjustment for how far they extend, on some. On ours, 3 step, the bottom step has a bolt on each side with an eccentric washer behind it. The arm supporting the step hits the washer and stops the step from going any further out.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
I'll get another shot at it this weekend, but, just to be clear, when I push it up the rest of the way it rotates the gears and the motor, then when I release, the gears and the motor rotate the other way to return the steps to the 80% retracted state. There doesn't appear to be any slack or binding in the system. It's as though an adjustment has slipped and the motor thinks this 80% position is where it's supposed to be. I can't find any adjustments to make, however.
What Brockx recommended should be your first step (no pun intended ) my steps are doing the same thing. I sprayed some PB Blaster on ALL moving parts and now the steps fully retract as are alot quieter.
The problem is that this doesn't fix the real issue. There are 3 main parts to your steps.
1. The electric motor
2. The gear box
3. The steps themselves.

My issue is the gear box gears are wore out so the steps don't want to fully retract and move in and out about 2 to 3 inches when extended. For my kwikee steps, there is a older and a newer versions. I found my gear box on Amazon for $68 . From what you are telling us, this sounds like your issue. Crawl under the rv and try to move the steps back and forth by hand. If they are moving, look closely at the gear and arm. I hope this helps and gives you a place to start.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll go a little deeper on my previous comment. When the steps return to closed they are controlled (travel stopped) by the amperage load on the motor controller. If they are poorly lubed they will stop too early, the motor controller senses the load and stops too early. When the motor is able to pull the steps all the way in positive stops are engaged and the motor pivot arm cams over into a lock position and you cannot wiggle the step (and motor shaft) if the steps don't get in all the way then they will appear loose as the OP is describing. Having said all that the motor could be pulling too much load, as someone stated earlier push the steps in (palm of hand on bottom front edge of bottom step finger below bottom step) as they retract if they go up and lock with that assist it is in need of lube or its an amperage problem.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
Lubrication, Lubrication, Lubrication. When all else fails Lubricate.

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9...=boeshield+t+9
Old 05-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #11

Ours did that and it turned out to be that the gears were stripped. Purchased new gears and now they are great again!
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #12

My steps will sometimes stay in the out or down position and not retract at all. Like many have said,lubricate all the joints so they can move freely. Then,take a rubber mallet and bang on the electric motor. Yes,bang on the motor. Sounds crazy,but it works for me every time. : )
Dune Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #13

When I bought my "new to me" Excursion a couple years ago, the steps would not fully retract unless I gently pushed on them with two fingers while they were retracting. After GENEROUSLY lubing every pivot point and joint that moved, they retracted fully without any assistance.

Tags
steps