Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use my dns to record IndyCar. I have no sat locals unless I'm in AZ. AZ locals are spot beamed on the 101, Cal on the 119 but you know that I'm sure. I have el cheapo dish, one sat only. I'm glad you are happy with the bat wing. Can you record stuff from it?

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Back to a couple of your questions about hookup and digital channels.

- The connections are:
1. From the satellite dish to "cable in" on the outside of your RV.
2. From the other end of that wire (hopefully you know where it is) to the "satellite in" on the back of the satellite receiver.
3. From the "out to TV" on the back of satellite receiver to the "cable in" on the back you your TV. I'm assuming that is a Coax input. The problem comes if the TV (like ours in the RV) doesn't have multiple input capability and you used some sort of an adaptor to connect the DVD. Then, you need some sort of a switch box. Like ours, the satellite receiver out put, the DVD output, the batwing output can all be fed to the back of a distribution box and the output of that is wired to the TV. I hope that is clear.

We sent for one of the converter coupons, bought a converter with it locally and plan to use that for our batwing on the road starting next year. For satellite receivers, that isn't necessary. The receiver is already converting the digital satellite signal to analog for your TV input so an additional converter isn't required. The problem where you do need the converter next year is if you are parked someplace and want to see local channels for local weather, something that you cannot get real time from the satellite. Of course, if you upgrade your TV, that problem is solved, too.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have no sat locals unless I'm in AZ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I understand that. That's why I said I wouldn't want to have to pay for locals when I am not in the area.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm glad you are happy with the bat wing. Can you record stuff from it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, I cannot. I use satellite for that.
Can you get free HDTV programming from your satellite? I do with my bat-wing!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gottcha. I'm not paying for locals in the coach. I have the R15 in the coach mirrored for 5.99.
Batwing is good for free HD that's for sure. Just not interested in HD yet. Still have non HD tube TV's. I would like to go HD someday. We really enjoy the discovery, history, travel type of channels. I'm guessing that HD would be great for that.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
SewBzzzy

Read thru this thread and with all of the posts made, I'm not sure you ever got an answer. Let us know how you made out. If you are still having issues let us know. We'll try to keep it on thread to help you out.

I have DishNetwork and had a receiver at home and one in the RV. Paying 5.99/month for the receiver in the RV. But back to your issue.

When I get to a CG I turn on the TV and receiver and go to:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Menu<LI>system Setup<LI>point dish<LI>enter the ZIP Code of the CG<LI>the pointing angles will be shown.[/list]

the I go to the dish and setup the proper anglesand then tweak it to get the highest signal level.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm so sorry they made a mistake, must be costing them a fortune. I'm also grandfathered in to some deal that while I'm home I also get DNS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your posts get more and more confusing as you go along. Either you are or you are not paying for both DNS and locals. It doesn't matter where the receiver(s) is(are) located, only that you are paying for services you do not regularly use. That may be OK with you but it is important that folks understand what they can and cannot do and what it does or does not cost. I think if I was paying $100+/month for satellite TV I would have to consider another option or go back to reading a book!
Old 06-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SewBzzzy did you get your concern addressed?
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #22

Boy, I think so? I've printed the informative ones.......thank you!!!.......for my husband to read. He understands this a bit more than I do. Our dish just arrived today from Camping World, but the receiver hasn't come yet. I was wondering if we should have just taken the receiver out of our garage and used that while on vacation instead of purchasing one? We have a HD Dish Receiver in the livingroom that operates that and the kitchen TV, then another receiver downstairs in the family room that operates that and the bedroom TV, then another "mirror" receiver in the garage that operates two TV's out there and are mirrored off the receiver in the family room. Do you think the one from the garage would operate both TV's in the Motorhome? Do you think we'll have to run a cable directly from the dish to the receiver in the motorhome instead of going through the coax input on the side of the coach? Will we get the same channels as we do at home, all except the local channels? Great idea, by the way, of practicing in our yard! Although, I'm sure someone will see us struggling while camping this weekend and come over to help. RV people are the most helpful, friendly people around, aren't they? Thank you again!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you think the one from the garage would operate both TV's in the Motorhome? Do you think we'll have to run a cable directly from the dish to the receiver in the motorhome instead of going through the coax input on the side of the coach? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You need either a direct wire between each receiver and the dish's LNB (your new dish likely has at least a dual LNB so you could run two receivers in the MH) OR you can bring one wire into the MH to a receiver and use some sort of distribution plan to send that signal out to the second TV. That is exactly what we do. All of the inputs, including the receiver are in a common place and the distribution/switch box that we have their sends the signals to both TVs. Each TV can use all of the inputs so the bedroom TV can be watching a DVD while the front TV has the satelllite receiver dialed in. The drawback is that your MH can only watch one satellite channel at a time - on one or both TVs. It is really no different that the DVD player - we can only watch one movie at a time from it but can play that movie on both TVs.

BTW, many of the RVs that we've seen are wired the same way as ours - with a central distribution of video signals. Yours may be, too.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #24

Okay....so I can probably return the receiver I purchased at Camping World and just use the one from the garage. Sounds GREAT! That will make my husband happy! But we'll have to put the receiver up in the front cabinet next to the TV, then run a cable directly to the receiver. We should NOT go through the existing coax cable on the coach, right? Where do you usually run the cable into the coach? I hate to go through a window...and let in bugs and such! If we want to install a distribution/switch box, where would we purchase one? Would that then allow us to easily switch from dish to batwing, without going through the menu options on the TV? Or would we still have to change it in the menu? Where would we hook in our DVD player....after the receiver or before the receiver? Wow...so confusing for this old lady! LOL! I'm assuming once we get a distribution box, we can run a nice wire in through the body of the coach somewhere (neatly!) and also run a cable to the TV in the bedroom. It would be nice to enable our daughter and son-in-law to then use the other LNB on the dish to go to their motorhome and run their TV. Is that possible? I can't begin to thank all of you for so much information!!! WOW!!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
SewBzzzy

It depends on the type of receiver you have. For example, I have the HD ViP622. It drives 2 TV's. Only one cable from the dish to the receiver. The receiver connects to each TV. The receiver sends the signal to the appropriate TV. You can check the features of your receiver at the DishNetwork website (products/receivers).

Here is how I have mine hooked up.

Like I said, I have a ViP622 receiver which controls 2 TVs. I have 2 dishes (one for 110/119 and one for 61.5). The 61.5 [single] LNB connects to the 2nd dish [dual] LNB (110 port). The 119 port has a cable to the entertainment cabinet thru a single cable to a signal separator (looks like a splitter). My coach was wired using RG-6 cable so that is not an issue. If your coach is wired with RG-59, then you will need to use a new cable. The LNB's take care of switching between the necessary satellites. The separator has 2 outputs that connects to dish 1 and dish 2 inputs on the receiver. From the receiver I have an HDMI cable to the main TV and the 2nd TV output to the Winegard switch (other TV). Works like a champ. I get everything I had at home.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 07-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here
video source selector
is a distribution box very similar to ours. It is installed with the satellite receiver in the compartment above the driver's seat.

If you have a wire in your electrical compartment labeled "cable" it might work for satellite - our does. It all depends on whether there is a splitter or amplifier in the line.

Somehow today, your rear TV is getting its batwing signal. Can you play your DVD on the bedroom TV? If so, then mounting your satellite receiver near the DVD player and using a video selector to switch among the inputs should work. What you need is a good TV guy to look at your physical setup. He doesn't need to know anything about RVs but had to know how to work with different feed to TVs.

If it were DirecTV, I'd saw "no problem" with your daughter using one cable on the same LNB. Dish Network has some different requirements, depending on your type of receiver.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I should add that my bedroom TV functions totally independent of the living room TV whether it be over the air antenna, or satellite.

When Newmar built my rig they wired the DVD player directly to the living room TV using one of the component inputs. Thus the DVD player will not send signal to the bedroom TV unless I recable it. To me, not that big of a deal and I left it alone.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 07-18-2008, 03:57 AM   #28

I have DishNetwork and just take one of my receivers, I have 3 with DVR, and put it in the motorhome. There is no extra charge for this. I have had to call them to help me with a setup while I was on the road and they were very responsive. My problem was caused by not using the receiver for a period of time. They disabled it and had to reload/reactivate it for me. They told me to hook it up in the house when the motorhome sits for a long time.