Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #43
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
My locals come out of the Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC area, maybe it's more of a 'pencil point' beam than the NYC locals?

We're just a bunch of hicks here in the backwoods of NC and our money won't get us the same services as money spent in a major metropolitan area. It's only $5 a month so I really don't expect a lot for it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K-Star:
I setup my dish in Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower and Montana. At all locations I received my normal NYC local programming on 2 (CBS), 4 (NBC), 5 (FOX) and 7 (ABC) as I do at home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's because New York isn't spot beamed. New York, along with Los Angeles, are the two cities from which you get network programming when you complete the RV Waiver with DirecTV.

With Dish Network, when you complete the RV Waiver (with a 3rd-party company, not Dish), you'll get Atlanta and San Francisco, so any one whose "locals" are these two cities will probably also be able to receive them anywhere in the country.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #45
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LindaH:
That's because New York isn't spot beamed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So why would the law require the geographical area I live in to be spot beam while allowing another area (New York) not to be spot beamed?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
All areas are spot beamed or will be, except for the 2 cities for DirecTV, and 2 for Dish.

Those exceptions are for nationwide reception for those who have a RV declaration, and I believe those who have fixed dwellings out in the boonies beyond the over the air range of any TV station.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #47

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not all spot beams are the same.

Actually the NYC and San Francisco areas are nationally beamed and if you have an RV Wavier you will get one or the other.

I think also if your normal service address is NYS or San Fran' you will receive in the RV what you get at home !!

When we winter in Florida, I change the service address to our Florida Zip code so I get the Tampa locals.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #48
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if you have an RV Wavier you will get one or the other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many of us have both east and west coast feeds for CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox. PBS is just 1 feed, and HD will be east OR west depending on your service address.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #49

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So why would the law require the geographical area I live in to be spot beam while allowing another area (New York) not to be spot beamed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The reasoning is entirely financially motivated. The local Chicago car dealer pays for his advertising based upon the number of people he can expect to see his ad. If everyone in FL is subscribed to Chicago the advertising would have to pay an even higher rate only to have his ads viewed by folks in FL who will never visit his business.
By allowing only 1 East and 1 West Network feed Nationally they can easily back out those users as RVer, Trucker and non-served households (the Boonies folks mentioned above) and keep the advertising rates in line.
Not every area has been fully spot-beamed and some spot beams are much larger than others. Additionally, if you have a NY or LA billing address you can only get one or the other and not both like those of us with DNS can and once they leave the area they also lose the "lesser" networks that are available in that area and receive only ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox like the rest of us.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #50

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill thanks for your explanation...you clearly said it right !!
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #51

I always "try" to help. My answers are not always welcome, but they are as accurate as I can make them.
Thanks for the Thanks!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also subscribe to DishNetwork and when we hit the road we simply take a receiver from the house and hook it up in the rig. The $5.00 is simply the monthly rental. When you get set up at your camp site, set up the dish, turn on TV to channel 3, power up the receiver, hit menu, go to installation, input the zipcode of your location (before you hit the road you have to call Dish and have them activate the card), once in the installation menu you will then have to point the dish according to the azmith and elevation numbers you got from inputing the zip code...then the fun begins. One of you must be outside fiddling with the dish,up and down and sideways, while the other stays inside and watches the screen until you see 90%of the green line. Once that has happened you wait for the satelit to download the information. Yoou will probably not be able to get the network channels due to ongoing litigation with the FCC and the networks. All this is why many folks go with the automatic domes. Good luck. Once you have done it once or twice it gets easier. ps. Be sure you have a clear shot at the Southern sky, no trees or other obstructions. Have Fun.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #53
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One of you must be outside fiddling with the dish,up and down and sideways, while the other stays inside and watches the screen until you see 90%of the green line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THIS GADGET also known as a marriage saver, works quite well.

You can align the dish by yourself.

I have one, and it works.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #54

Craig,
Your post was going along so well right up to this point.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yoou will probably not be able to get the network channels due to ongoing litigation with the FCC and the networks. All this is why many folks go with the automatic domes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
1) There is NO ongoing litigation. The rules are set. You CANNOT receive Network TV programming outside the area that your account is registered. That's why the DNS package is made available to RVer's, Truckers and the "non-served households".
2) Using an automatic dish/dome does not change the above rule.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
1) There is NO ongoing litigation. The rules are set. You CANNOT receive Network TV programming outside the area that your account is registered. That's why the DNS package is made available to RVer's, Truckers and the "non-served households". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill is correct.

You cannot, however, receive DNS directly from Dish Network because they lost their ability to provide that service to their customers back in 2006 when they lost a law suit. If you want DNS and are a Dish Network customer, you have to go through a 3rd-party company, All American Direct.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #56
ET

I've deleted one of my posts suggesting to contact Dish Network about receiving local channels where ever you travel!

After doing my own research on Local Channel offerings by Dish Network I'm going to have to agree with others. From what I've found the spot beam for my local channels comes from 119 which I believe is Echostar-7 and is Spot Beam 15 TP1. Here is a link that helps show Spotbeams in the western hemisphere, (http://wvjw.info/dbs-beam/ ) Spot Beam 15 TP1 includes from the Florida Keys to just above Orlando which is where we travel the most. Like I said in my previous post Dish Network is stating that you can still receive your local channels where ever you go if you have an account based on a permanent address. This cannot be correct based on what the spot beam shows. Dish Network shows that our locals are on channels 8860-8863 on their programming guide as well as 5, 12, 25 & 29. From what I've gathered both the 8800's as well as the lower channel numbers are on the same spot beam. If this IS the case then there is NO WAY anyone could receive local channels except in their approximate permanent location. After checking a bit further 8860-8863 local stations are on the South Florida Beam only, not Continental US.