Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Still Researching Class A Purchase

Hi All,

I'm still searching for another motorhome. I've gone through looking at buses and after understanding some of the conversion issues, I'm back to looking at basic class As like a Chevy P30 platform. My budget dictates I'll be buying one 10-15 years old and I don't want slides. This will likely leave me with a Chevy 454 or Ford 460 engine which is fine.

For a while, I was looking at DPs. I absolutely love the Safari Trek and how well it is constructed and interior plans, although I think I need a bit more power than the Isuzu 4-cylinder turbodiesel.

I'm now looking a bit at coaches with a 5.9L Cummins diesel. I want to buy between 28-30 feet to get in easily to all the national parks but lately I've seen a very few number of 31-32 foot Class A's with the Cummins engine. I do not want something over 32 feet long.

One is a Gulfstream Voyager and the other is a Rockwood Diesel Pusher. Does anyone know anything about the chassis on these? Do they have superior construction, ride control/stability, or more towing capacity? One thing that surprised me on the P30 coaches was that the tow capacity seemed to be more limited by the frame than the drivetrain...

Thanks,

bb32

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Any Gas coach 1999 and newer will probably have the Workhorse or V10 engines. IMHO, I would stay clear of any coach who manufacture has gone out of business. Some will argue this. Coach parts are available from some of the companies still in business. For example, I had a 10 year coach and still could purchase outside cabinet doors when a Repair shop wrecked my coach.

cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

Quote:
IMHO, I would stay clear of any coach who manufacture has gone out of business.
That's a good point. Are there any other options I'm missing here? My dream rig would be a 28' Safari Trek with the electromagic bed up front and a Cummins 5.9L in the back, although I don't think that exists. I'm just curious if there is anything else interesting in that size range that I can look at...

bb32
Old 10-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Not familiar with Safari coach. When thing to stay away from is roof leaking. Climb up and inspect the roof. Sometimes walking on it, will feel spongy. Check ceiling inside. Push on it with you hands, All locations closet etc. Check side was for Delamination. Ask owner to have all appliances on, water heater, fridge etc. Water running, so there are No leaks. These items can be fixed or replace, but you will know up front. No surprises. Check Engine, do they have maintenance records? Have a mechanic inspect engine etc.

I once bought a coach with 70k miles, high mileage but the coach was in great shape.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #5

After having a P30 potato chip chassis motorhome for 14 years I would run from any P30.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The Safari Trek is a great coach. They did make a few with the GM diesel. And it seems like I have seen a pusher Trek that was 30' with a rear bed. Check out the Trek Tracks forum, lots of great info there.
jfleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #7

Safari changed from Izusu to the larger GM P-chassis in 1995, and the Chevvy 6.5 Diesel was available from then until around 2000 +/_. I had a '95 Diesel Trek and put 137,000 miles on it, but these engines are not the powerhouse of the later 6.6 Duramax (that has never available in a Class A). They only made a few rear engined Diesel treks and these are considered by some to be underpowered. Treks are not for everyone but are high quality, well built and have a very loyal following. If you are serious, older gas engine P-chassis treks are available around $15,000. See:

http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/default.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleeman View Post
The Safari Trek is a great coach. They did make a few with the GM diesel. And it seems like I have seen a pusher Trek that was 30' with a rear bed. Check out the Trek Tracks forum, lots of great info there.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb32 View Post
That's a good point. Are there any other options I'm missing here? My dream rig would be a 28' Safari Trek with the electromagic bed up front and a Cummins 5.9L in the back, although I don't think that exists. I'm just curious if there is anything else interesting in that size range that I can look at...

bb32
BB32- Check out both the Forest River FR3 and Thor ACE models. Both have the electric bed over cab and are within the size limits you are wanting.
Regards,
Ted
Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #9

1974 Airstream Argosy 24' Motor Home Center Bath 2 Single Beds Fold Out Couch | eBay

One example, look for Airstream and Argosy, made through the early 90's still supported by Airstream in Jackson Center OH. I've had two, great user friendly coach's. When I say supported, last I checked they will still fix on damaged body panels. Window issues I can't say.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hipster View Post
1974 Airstream Argosy 24' Motor Home Center Bath 2 Single Beds Fold Out Couch | eBay

One example, look for Airstream and Argosy, made through the early 90's still supported by Airstream in Jackson Center OH. I've had two, great user friendly coach's. When I say supported, last I checked they will still fix on damaged body panels. Window issues I can't say.
Thanks. I've seen these and I really like them but at this point I'm looking for something more turnkey than a weekend project that will span many years. I don't mind wrenching on it myself or paying to fixing issues (in fact, I suspect to do much of both). I'm just looking for something with a history where pretty much everything works when I take delivery.

Another pet peeve is I don't want to buy anything with a carburetor.

bb32
Old 10-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted E View Post
BB32- Check out both the Forest River FR3 and Thor ACE models. Both have the electric bed over cab and are within the size limits you are wanting.
Regards,
Ted
I'll take a look. Thanks for the reference.

bb32
Old 10-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
After having a P30 potato chip chassis motorhome for 14 years I would run from any P30.
I know exactly what you're saying as I had a 36-foot Southwind for 5 years. It just seems like when I find a better option in one area it gets traded for something lesser in another area.

I wish I could buy the Trek with the 4-cylinder turbodiesel. It doesn't have a full oven which is something I could live without, but I'm not sure about the performance for mountain driving which is important for me. If I found a 28-30 foot Trek with a 454 in good condition, I would be all over it.

At this point, what the P30 has going for it is that it is well supported with parts and service and is maintainable. To some extent it is the devil I know vs. the devil I don't know. I already know that it is a POS.

bb32
Old 10-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #13

Log on to the Trek Tracks website, and look under Resources then Classified. There are 18 Treks for sale.

http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/classifie...938181&catID=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb32 View Post
.... If I found a 28-30 foot Trek with a 454 in good condition, I would be all over it....bb32
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hipster View Post

Actually Airstream (Thor) made Diesel Pusher models from 2000 through 2005 such as my 396 XL 39' DP. Freightliner chassis, Cat engine Allison transmission. All final details were completed at Airstream at Jackson Center, OH.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, purchase