Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #15

Thanks to all for the responses. Using Don's suggestions for a few specific comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I don't see how you didn't stay cool with four A/C units running. What temps are you expecting to achieve?

We were looking for temps in the low 80s but were getting low 90s.

If you have A/C units that have the center dump on the intake duct, you may want to open those up for more cold air.

I read other AC posts suggesting that. Don't think that's an option on this unit unless I am missing something.

We also turn on our fantastic fan to vent the hot air near the roof as we drive.

That tactic surprised me. I was looking to maximize keeping cool air contained (e.g., max air setting on a car).

All of the night shades are closed also to keep it like a cave.

Good thought. We did keep the shades closed on the sunny side.

If you're dash A/C is working properly (yet to be determined from what you said) and the roof A/C behind the cab is running, you should be able to achieve 80 degrees or less on a 100 degree day.

Will find out how the dash AC is working at the service center next week.
Daveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure if you have these already in your coach,
but have you considered replacing your floor registers (heating vents) with some that can be closed off as in the house ???

Did that with ours and it seemed to be the final adjustment to
compliment opening the main grill so it initially dumps the cold air into the rv instead of cooling off the duct work running just under the sun baked roof

then as we (and the rv) cool off, we switch to back to ducted...
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Not sure if you have these already in your coach,
but have you considered replacing your floor registers (heating vents) with some that can be closed off as in the house ???

Did that with ours and it seemed to be the final adjustment to
compliment opening the main grill so it initially dumps the cold air into the rv instead of cooling off the duct work running just under the sun baked roof

then as we (and the rv) cool off, we switch to back to ducted...

Very good idea. Will add that to the list of tweaks.
Daveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #18

Have you checked the temperature of the air coming from the A/C vents? Wife likes it cool--we have no problem keeping the coach at 72 degrees with 110 degrees outside in Las Vegas last month.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #19

X2 on checking the A/C outlet temps.

I had an issue where the AC would get warmer and warmer even after replacing water valve. Eventually I installed a ball valve in the line and that fixed it - ac is now a good 30-35F below ambient.

If the coach is cooling down OK when stationary but not cooling then traveling then you need to find where the air is leaking in.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One outher thing is to use the max seting on your dash air so it is recirculating the air from inside. This way you are starting with cooler air not trying to cool 100 degree air from the outside.
I would double check your thermostat setings. My 2 ac's are controlled from one thermostat and some times the kids get the modes and zones mixed up. I stay nice and cool driving in 100 plus temps in Texas.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #21

We also have a 42' coach. We drove today in 96-98 degree temps and only used the OTR air (driven by main motor). We never use the roof airs when we travel. Our OTR air conditioning has vents in our dash and in the rear bedroom.

Fleetwood Providences are very nice coaches. I would think you should be able to keep the house cool with only OTR air.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote