Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #1

Still wont start

changed the fuel filter but engine still wont start. good hot batteries turns over good. newmar 350 cummins will start on starting fluid but wont run long few seconds. some folks mentioned the fuel sensor, where is it on the engine changed the large fuel filter is there a smaller one and where is it located one the unit. cant think of another filter that could keep it from running ??????
max77713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You probably have the 8.3 ISC 350 HP.

My engine manual says not to fill filter with diesel when changing and I had done that for ~6 years but the last time I changed my fuel filer I did the primary first and I could not get the coach to start.

I ended up having to put compressed air on the tank and finally got the filter to prime and the engine to start.

When I changed the secondary filter I went ahead and filled the filter with diesel, I used a plastic PVC plug in the enter hole to prevent contamination, I think it was a 3/4" plug. The engine fired right up.

You may have to resort to compressed air to force fuel to the transfer pump.

BTW, can you hear the transfer pump run when you first turn the key on, it should run for ~30 seconds. If you don't hear it run that may be your problem. The pump is located on the passenger side of the engine toward the transmission mounted up high. Make sure it is not leaking.

Avoid continued use of the starting fluid as if the engine tries to run for an extended period without fuel you could ruin your CAPS fuel pump as it needs fuel for lubrication.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #3

Ok I'm going to guess that it didn't start before you changed the filters.

Loosen the filter, turn the key on for 10 seconds and off 5 times.

If fuel is spilling out the plumbing from the tank and lift pump are ok.

If not, look back before the pump for another filter, bad pump, loose or cracked hose, empty tank.

Just so you know, in 35 years I have never seen a filter bad enough to not start, unless it had jelled fuel or ice in it. ( is it freezing where you are ? )

The common issue of bad filters is low power.

Use WD40 instead of starting fluid. Better for the engine.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
You probably have the 8.3 ISC 350 HP.

My engine manual says not to fill filter with diesel when changing and I had done that for ~6 years but the last time I changed my fuel filer I did the primary first and I could not get the coach to start.

I ended up having to put compressed air on the tank and finally got the filter to prime and the engine to start.

When I changed the secondary filter I went ahead and filled the filter with diesel, I used a plastic PVC plug in the enter hole to prevent contamination, I think it was a 3/4" plug. The engine fired right up.

You may have to resort to compressed air to force fuel to the transfer pump.

BTW, can you hear the transfer pump run when you first turn the key on, it should run for ~30 seconds. If you don't hear it run that may be your problem. The pump is located on the passenger side of the engine toward the transmission mounted up high. Make sure it is not leaking.

Avoid continued use of the starting fluid as if the engine tries to run for an extended period without fuel you could ruin your CAPS fuel pump as it needs fuel for lubrication.
If your lift pump can not pull fuel to itself, something is wrong.

Blowing in the tank is not a fix but a cover-up of another problem.

Something as minor as a loose clamp.

I have read on a Cummins site that your CAPS pump will pull fuel to it, even with a bad lift pump but it will fail from the reduced fuel flow.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

I would never use starting fluid in my Cummins 350. The air preheater could result in an unpleasant explosion.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
I would never use starting fluid in my Cummins 350. The air preheater could result in an unpleasant explosion.
It's not really an explosion. Since there is no compression in the manifold its more like a woosh of flame.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #7

Probably a bad fuel pump. My brother just recently had one go bad and found out it was pretty common.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Prefill the filters. Save your self a lot of grief. The book telling you not to do it is a cover their rear thing.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It's not really an explosion. Since there is no compression in the manifold its more like a whoosh of flame.
Actually it can be an explosion if the "whoosh" is big enough.

I have never prefilled my filters and never had a problem. But then I've followed the directions to the letter too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #10

He did not say that it won't start after changing the fuel filters.

He said " changed filters but ENGINE STILL WONT START "

That tells me it did not start before he changed them.

Everyone telling him to fill the filters that he may have changed for no reason, because something else could be wrong, may not help.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Prefill the filters. Save your self a lot of grief. The book telling you not to do it is a cover their rear thing.
Having the lift pump fill the filters is to protect the expensive injection pump from backyard mechanics who could be dumping fuel in from an old beer can that was laying in the dirt.

If the elecrtric lift pump can't fill a fuel filter, it certainly won't supply enough fuel to keep the injection pump cool and lubricated.

For weekenders a fuel starved injection pump could last years.

I would want mine working properly.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fill the filters.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure I should even be entering into this, (see my ID) but many years using stationary deisel engines, Cats, Cummins, Detroits etc. I remember that on those engines when you turned on the switch, it activated a solonoid that allowed the fuel to travel through. Many times over the years we had to screw that unit down in order to start the engine, and then reset it to stop, until our Mechanic could get a replacement installed.
Like I said, don't know if these engines use the same fuel cut-off system or not. However, since it is not fired with spark, some means must be used to allow you to start and stop it.
Very seldom did we have filter problems. Primary filter had see through globe with drain cock and good fuel along with proper maint. kept us running.
Only problem we had with the Detroit was when the Operator stuck the drill and caused the darned engine to run backwards. (what fun).
(If i"m wrong be kind, I've been retired over 15 years )
Old 01-26-2016, 10:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It's not really an explosion. Since there is no compression in the manifold its more like a woosh of flame.
Sematics; it can still cause engine damage according to Cummins.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote