Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yep, I'm bringing the stink bug thread back to life. We spent almost a month in southeastern TN, bordering Smoky Mtn National Park, Sept. 10 through October 5, 2014. We saw the stink bugs outside the coach, had no idea how many were finding their way in the tiniest of openings. We have been catching stink bugs inside the coach since that time...HUNDREDS of stink bugs!!! After lots of research here and elsewhere, we decided to give the Raid Fumigator a try. Set one of the fumigator cans off inside this morning, then left. We came home after five hours and thought, eh, maybe we'd see a few dead ones. We picked up over 80 dead or dying stink bugs inside our coach!!! AND, this "bomb" does not leave a horrid smell behind. We plan on doing this again in about a week or so for any of the stragglers. Just wanted to pass on that this did work for us!!!

thanks8990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
6 Mths is how long it took us to get rid of them from a trip thru PA. We kept a jar with soap water. Then placed it under or near the bug and let them fall in. This happen in Fall of 2013, it wasn't until the early spring of 2014 were they all gone. Found them it all nooks and crannies in the rig. They would fall from the ceiling and land in our laps. They got under the pantry floor, in the ceiling light fixtures, inside the window frame. Any place you can think of we found them. Your best tool is read up on them thru the internet. Every now and then we see a dead one come out of who knows where

gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #17

We spend about 2 months in PA in summer to see family and friends.
We leave by Aug 1 so we have no stowaways.
But we did learn this the hard way!

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #18

My terrier and cat seem to entertain themselves for hours catching them at home. They seem to appear out of thin air. I will keep in mind the raid product if it gets totally out of control.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #19

We visited TN on our way back from Michigan over a year ago. I'm still finding what's left of them. We apparantly went through TN during prime stink bug season. What a mess.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #20

They invaded our log home in VA so we moved to FL. We found them in our moving boxes and occasionally in our vehicles up to a year later.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Believe me, I HAVE read up on them. I've read about the soap and water and spraying them. What we do is catch them in cheap off-brand sandwich bags and tie the bags shut. We went to the store, came back home and caught about another 20 of them. I will definitely be rethinking travel to any eastern states from September on. I've read that as the weather begins to cool, they are looking for warm places to hibernate. That's the depressing part to me...hibernation. Bugs don't generally bother me, but hundreds of them in my home do!! YUCK!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #22

If it makes you feel better we brought about 17, million 300 thousand home with us from NC. I am thrilled to report that we are down to finding only about 1 or 2 a week now here in Florida in the MH.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #23

I wish more of you would come to east TN., last fall we still had plenty left to go around. I was in my over the weekend and got rid of 2 myself.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
There are only two approved general use pesticides that can control these stink bugs, one of which is not approved in several states. The other is contained in Raid Fumigator, which I have used with great success. I fumigate my coach in mid to late November when it is in storage and the stink bugs have hibernated for the winter.

RaidŽ Fumigator Fumigating Fogger
We were enjoying our stay in Tenn last September, until we discovered that the stink bugs were finding their way into the MH! We captured and killed most of them before we returned home, I have found six more since storing the RV. I am hoping that the forecasted high temperature of 8 F on Sunday will kill any remaining hitchhikers before we head for Florida in March. If not, we will be looking for some Raid in Florida.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I find up to several a week here in my house and neither heat nor cold seems to kill them. I think they hibernate.

I just scoop them up or knock them into a jar.

The ONLY good thing about them is they don't bite or get into food.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
They do indeed hibernate. We live in our MH and are seeing them move when we have warm days outside lately (past two days it's been in the 70s). I think they are ready to come out of hibernation which is why they are moving with the warmth. But I've waged war on them, and I'm determined to win!! grrrr
Old 02-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #27

Greg et al
We got stink bugs two years ago and may have got rid of them (not sure) and then got reinfected at Hungry Mother State Park in Va. the next year, and still have them now. Original infestation was from Claytor Lake SP also in Va. We never see anything other than adults, so wonder how long they can 'hibernate'? They say when humans die off the cockroach will take over. I say the stink bugs will be around when the cockroaches die off. Could be worse, they don't bite or seem to get into food. But I surely am tired of them. We flush them down the toilet and I have even wondered if they escape via the roof vent and return to pester us!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
We flush them down the toilet and I have even wondered if they escape via the roof vent and return to pester us!

That would make them double-stink stink bugs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote